GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
addictedtogum
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Golf
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lexington
Posts: 41
Intermittent clutch chatter

I have a 2013 5-speed Golf 2.5L 34kmi. Around 4 months ago i noticed that when shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, there is some chatter/vibration coming from what i assume is the clutch/tranny right at the bite point of the clutch. its been getting progressively worse and its at a point where i can hear the spare change rattle in the cup holder. its intermittent though, doesn't happen everyday. was bad yesterday, and nothing coming into work this morning
addictedtogum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:27 AM   #2
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: ON your tail with my slow a$$ 2.5
Posts: 602
Maybe the Dual Mass Flywheel acting up
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
addictedtogum
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Golf
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lexington
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Maybe the Dual Mass Flywheel acting up
so what does that mean? do I have to replace it?

oddly enough it hasn't happened since I made this post
addictedtogum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
Mabbonizio
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 19380
Posts: 38
1. your car doesn't have a dual mass flywheel

2. perfectly normal, these clutches are noisy. don't worry about it.
Mabbonizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Cadubya
DUBYA
 
Cadubya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DALLAS
Posts: 7,782
Intermittent clutch chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabbonizio View Post
1. your car doesn't have a dual mass flywheel

2. perfectly normal, these clutches are noisy. don't worry about it.


Pretty sure it has a dual mass flywheel. Pretty sure all mk6 VW's have a dual mass flywheel.

__________________
CLICK HERE FOR MY BUILD
Cadubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie
 
FlowMK6's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.5 6speed MT
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 197
Honestly, I think you might have an issue. I haven't experienced that kind of vibration. Maybe you're shifting too early. Might I know you shift gear at which RPM approximately ?

And yes it's a dual mass flywheel and my clutch isn't noisy at all. Borrow the car of your friend who have a single mass flywheel and you will notice a difference. Down shift with your car and you will see it's a dual mass flywheel.

There is also conversion kit for 2.5: http://store.blackforestindustries.c...2dumaflco.html
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:05 AM   #7
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: ON your tail with my slow a$$ 2.5
Posts: 602
If the car is under warranty, get a VW Dealer to check it out you could save yourself a costly repair.

Last edited by MLue1; 01-02-2017 at 04:15 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
Mabbonizio
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 19380
Posts: 38
hmmm... vw dealer told me it was a single mass unit when they replaced my whole clutch system for chattering. chatter came back promptly and has been there since 5k miles. i'm at 85k now.

Also.. the above screen shots says in red : for vehicles up to 2010
Mabbonizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #9
Cadubya
DUBYA
 
Cadubya's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: DALLAS
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabbonizio View Post
hmmm... vw dealer told me it was a single mass unit when they replaced my whole clutch system for chattering. chatter came back promptly and has been there since 5k miles. i'm at 85k now.

Also.. the above screen shots says in red : for vehicles up to 2010


Yep and the bottom one says after 2010. All dmf's. No smf 's listed.
__________________
CLICK HERE FOR MY BUILD
Cadubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie
 
FlowMK6's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf 2.5 6speed MT
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: QC, Canada
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabbonizio View Post
hmmm... vw dealer told me it was a single mass unit when they replaced my whole clutch system for chattering. chatter came back promptly and has been there since 5k miles. i'm at 85k now.

Also.. the above screen shots says in red : for vehicles up to 2010
Are you the first owner ? If not, maybe the last owner did buy a conversion kit. If he did, then it's nice for you since it costs less to maintain a single mass flywheel system. I have read dual-mass flywheel break less often than a single mass flywheel, but it cost more to repair a dual mass flywheel system.
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #11
Mabbonizio
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: 19380
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMK6 View Post
Are you the first owner ? If not, maybe the last owner did buy a conversion kit. If he did, then it's nice for you since it costs less to maintain a single mass flywheel system. I have read dual-mass flywheel break less often than a single mass flywheel, but it cost more to repair a dual mass flywheel system.
yep, bought the car brand new.

Maybe the dealer was wrong?

:ion:

just kinda weird since they had it all apart
Mabbonizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
george241312
Newbie
 
Drives: golf 2012 2.5l 5 speed
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMK6 View Post
Honestly, I think you might have an issue. I haven't experienced that kind of vibration. Maybe you're shifting too early. Might I know you shift gear at which RPM approximately ?

And yes it's a dual mass flywheel and my clutch isn't noisy at all. Borrow the car of your friend who have a single mass flywheel and you will notice a difference. Down shift with your car and you will see it's a dual mass flywheel.

There is also conversion kit for 2.5: http://store.blackforestindustries.c...2dumaflco.html
Do you know if this conversion kit works for a 2012 mk6 golf 2.5l manual ?
because it says only up to 2010 mk6
george241312 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.