GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump concerns

zrickety

The Fixer
All in all, I was charged $692.20 in labor and $432.39 in parts for a grand total of $1,124.59.

Damn dude...time to find a new family mechanic. Lesson here, always get a quote. You got screwed royally. And the fuel filter is a 10 min job tops.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
You learned a tough lesson. They sure didn't treat you well. I hope the quality of their work is good.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
My '12 (CCTA) pumped failed a couple weeks ago. In the middle of classes so really had no time to DIY, unfortunately. Dropped it at mechanic, who has serviced my family's cars for decades. Not concerned about him trying to rip me off, I didn't get a quote until I had already dropped the car off.

I got a phone call around 1:30, after dropping the car off at 8:15. My jaw dropped when he told me. I called back 20 minutes later wanting to cancel the work, but the owner said they already started. He assured me they would do a good job and he it really put me in an uncomfortable position.

All in all, I was charged $692.20 in labor and $432.39 in parts for a grand total of $1,124.59. On top of that, my tuner quoted $653 out the door for the same job.

In addition, $82.60 for a fuel filter swap (I even provided the filter...) Yes, I know that's an easy one but figured it couldn't be too much since they were already under there. To top it off, they scratched my mint RSe12's in a few of the lug holes (had my brakes flushed too but didn't factor that into the numbers I posted).

I'm pretty bummed out, wanted to drop the car and not worry but this really ruined my weekend. Does this not sound a bit excessive to you guys?

*insert DAMMMMMMMMMMMN!! gif*

kerp

Ready to race!
I agree with you guys, not trying to avoid the fact I made a poor decision. Here's the invoice. Do you think it was unfair for him to blow me off when I tried to request him to cancel the work? I know I waited 20 minutes until after the late quote (I assume they bought the parts), and I would have happily paid for their time up to that point.

I'm going to try and talk to him today towards the end of the day. I'm gathering my thoughts on how to approach him.

kerp

Ready to race!
Are you f**kin' serious?!!! The parts alone should have only cost around $250. Replacing it takes about an hour, even with removal of the intake manifold.

The only thing I do know is that the the CCTA waterpump costs a fair amount more than the CBFA.

Mchandler6

Passed Driver's Ed
Bought my 2012 DSG GTI in December of 2015 with 29,000 miles on it . Water pump failed in 2016 sometime around 40,000 miles. I noticed small amounts of pink coolant on my garage floor two times, checked my reservoir and it was almost to minimum. Called VW, found out the previous original owner already had it replaced under warranty. They did it again under warranty no questions asked and no money. No problems since and I'm coming up on 60k

On a side note, I will say I called a dealer and they refused to look for any recalls and told me they weren't aware of any recalls on the car. They also told me they couldn't access service records from other VW dealerships (which is bullshit). I then hung up on them when they asked if my GTI had a gas or diesel motor....

Called Napleton VW in Sanford, Florida. They took care of looking for all the previous work, printed me a record of my lifetime battery replacement on the car from the previous owner, and were overall AWESOME to deal with. Needless to say, the VERY rare times I need dealership work I bypass two VW dealerships to go to those guys.

kerp

Ready to race!
Bought my 2012 DSG GTI in December of 2015 with 29,000 miles on it . Water pump failed in 2016 sometime around 40,000 miles. I noticed small amounts of pink coolant on my garage floor two times, checked my reservoir and it was almost to minimum. Called VW, found out the previous original owner already had it replaced under warranty. They did it again under warranty no questions asked and no money. No problems since and I'm coming up on 60k

On a side note, I will say I called a dealer and they refused to look for any recalls and told me they weren't aware of any recalls on the car. They also told me they couldn't access service records from other VW dealerships (which is bullshit). I then hung up on them when they asked if my GTI had a gas or diesel motor....

Called Napleton VW in Sanford, Florida. They took care of looking for all the previous work, printed me a record of my lifetime battery replacement on the car from the previous owner, and were overall AWESOME to deal with. Needless to say, the VERY rare times I need dealership work I bypass two VW dealerships to go to those guys.

Must be nice.

gdub09

Ready to race!
You got screwed on your water pump Kerp. It should of been $600 max, if that. But yeah my GTI is a 2012 and it just went out at 77k. I'm using my extended warranty to cover it along with chains hopefully. The shitty thing is the warranty for them is a very small list which is BS.

kerp

Ready to race!
You got screwed on your water pump Kerp. It should of been $600 max, if that. But yeah my GTI is a 2012 and it just went out at 77k. I'm using my extended warranty to cover it along with chains hopefully. The shitty thing is the warranty for them is a very small list which is BS.

Agreed, I'm going to try and talk to him this week. I'll complain about the labor for sure. Why did they even do the accessory belt, didn't think that was part of the waterpump service...?

CMGTI

Ready to race!
It will be my third pump next week. It only has 57K miles as well. Its getting annoying.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
It will be my third pump next week. It only has 57K miles as well. Its getting annoying.

Are you having the dealership replace them? Poor installation on revised water pumps are the main reasons why they have failed.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Are you having the dealership replace them? Poor installation on revised water pumps are the main reasons why they have failed.

Reputable indy shop did the work last time. Lasted over a year.