GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 12-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #29
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Wow x2, I had heard about this method but seeing it is believing. Nice vids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 AM   #30
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verserk-MK6 View Post
wow, i wish i knew about that 2x4 method, is the 2x4 on the jack itself or is it sitting on the floor?
It's on the jack pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Wow x2, I had heard about this method but seeing it is believing. Nice vids.
Those definitely weren't the best videos, unfortunately, but something quick to at least show you guys how it's done
Old 12-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4 door AB 6 speed GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
It's on the jack pad

Those definitely weren't the best videos, unfortunately, but something quick to at least show you guys how it's done
How Stable is that using just the pad?
Verserk-MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #32
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verserk-MK6 View Post
How Stable is that using just the pad?
Once it's under the flat spot on the bottom of the strut's spring seat....it doesn't budge....just like in the video
Take your time with the jack and it won't go anywhere.

The passenger side is easier and I'd start with that side to get the feel for it.

If you want to secure it further though, you can drill a hole in the 2x4 and use the strut bolt & nut to attach it to the swaybar link mounting tab...see here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #33
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Back in the day, I used to mess with people and tell them I had swapped the 5.0 motor from a Mustang GT into my Contour (the 2.0 version). It was hilarious watching fellow 'car guys' cringe as people kind of believed me lol. I went a little far and tried trolling folks on a Ford forum and got banned though.

Anyway, that guy was speaking some crap! I don't think any SVT car ever had a turbo in it.... The SVT Contour and Focus were both NA, while the Lightning (2nd gen) and Cobra (Terminators) were supercharged? Even the GT that came out 2 years later was also supercharged!

Last edited by SyDiko; 12-29-2017 at 05:07 PM.
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #34
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
I had a good auto-zone experience. Not car guy related... but i went in for new wiper blades and got the dumb bosch OE regular blades.. go outside to put them on and realize the driver side is opened and the blade looks different so i take it back in and the guy like hmm do you have the adapters that came with it.. and im like nah it was literally opened and this blade was in it when i walked outside... so hes like okay lets grab another and they were out so i got the more expensive bosch evos or whatever and a $10 autozone gift card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #35
zef
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
I had a good auto-zone experience. Not car guy related... but i went in for new wiper blades and got the dumb bosch OE regular blades.. go outside to put them on and realize the driver side is opened and the blade looks different so i take it back in and the guy like hmm do you have the adapters that came with it.. and im like nah it was literally opened and this blade was in it when i walked outside... so hes like okay lets grab another and they were out so i got the more expensive bosch evos or whatever and a $10 autozone gift card.
I worked at autozone for awhile...people all the time would try to return the oil they bought but put the old oil back in. Some were dumb enough to not even wait for the old oil to cool off before returning it.

"Why is the container hot?"..."It was on the floor and I had the heat on" ...."in the middle of August?"
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #36
zef
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Oh and I also had a guy try to tell me my P3 gauge was the reason my car failed emissions. That was a good one.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #37
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
I worked at autozone for awhile...people all the time would try to return the oil they bought but put the old oil back in. Some were dumb enough to not even wait for the old oil to cool off before returning it.

"Why is the container hot?"..."It was on the floor and I had the heat on" ...."in the middle of August?"
yeah i have no doubt it was probably someone who "returned it" with their old blade in it or something. I was just looking to swap it same for same, not trying to pull one on them, but they were out and the manager just watched me buy them and could see me installing them outside the window.
So i thought it was pretty neat of him to give me the more expensive OE style blade.

The gift card was a rebate on buying two wiper blades, they didnt give me that as part of the thing... but i was pretty happy leaving there.

The only reason i stopped there instead of advanced auto, where i normally shop, was because my Credit card gave me extra points for shopping at auto-zone so i figured what the heck its just wiper blades.

Man i really drift off in conversation... i blame it on all this cold medicine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
tylorr83
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 White GTI DSG 4 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I'm sure you've had this happen to you before....you think you're talking to a "car guy", but they're really not....

So I go to AutoZone the other day . . .
Stopped reading right there. Knew what was coming. Continued reading and was not disappointed.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #39
gdub09
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Best auto zone type moment was my buddy used to work at Advance & one night they had the floor cleaners come. He had to stay till they were done bc there were no cameras. So we had a BBQ in the lot that night. Its like 1am and the cops show up. They ask whats going on and we tell em about the cleaners and everything. The cop, younger, looks at my buddy's WRX wagon and starts asking about it. He says he was a WRX as well and always wondered if they were faster than his cop car. I shit you not the officer calls off all the cops near the road in front of advance and they had a drag race. My buddy's WRX won and they came back and the cop was like, "This never happened okay?". We all agree and everything and supposedly his supervisor caught some wind of it because of a girl that was there. Her mom works for the city or the police department and she said it to someone.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #40
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub09 View Post
Best auto zone type moment was my buddy used to work at Advance & one night they had the floor cleaners come. He had to stay till they were done bc there were no cameras. So we had a BBQ in the lot that night. Its like 1am and the cops show up. They ask whats going on and we tell em about the cleaners and everything. The cop, younger, looks at my buddy's WRX wagon and starts asking about it. He says he was a WRX as well and always wondered if they were faster than his cop car. I shit you not the officer calls off all the cops near the road in front of advance and they had a drag race. My buddy's WRX won and they came back and the cop was like, "This never happened okay?". We all agree and everything and supposedly his supervisor caught some wind of it because of a girl that was there. Her mom works for the city or the police department and she said it to someone.
that is a cool story. Only in Nebraska lol