GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #547
2012TP
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown0509 View Post
Well thatís good news! Do you drive it like you stole it frequently?
No, not really. I enjoy a nice on-ramp blast as much as anyone, but the majority of my 40mile commute, each way, is spent cruising at 65mph or so.

I try to keep it civil around town, with the exception being underpasses. I can't resist a nice tuned DSG crack out the AWE exhaust when those come.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #548
hbrown0509
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012TP View Post
No, not really. I enjoy a nice on-ramp blast as much as anyone, but the majority of my 40mile commute, each way, is spent cruising at 65mph or so.

I try to keep it civil around town, with the exception being underpasses. I can't resist a nice tuned DSG crack out the AWE exhaust when those come.

Good taste in exhaust! DSG tuned as well with a AWE turbo back and it sounds incredible in those situations. Actually any situation is a good situation to hear it crack. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #549
GroceryGTIer
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
I got the Wynn's gdi kit that I'm going to try soon. It has the decarb foam, gas additive, asnd the clean sweep. The foam goes it, you do a hot soak for 10 minutes and then do it again until the can is gone. The theory sounds interesting and possibly useful, we'll see how it does.

Anyone else have experience using this stuff? How did you use it? What were your results?
GroceryGTIer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #550
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Before forking cash out to clean valves that don't need it, I'd like to inspect with my borescope. Where's the best place to insert it?

I'm thinking of taking the throttle body off and going in through there.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #551
wmssbr10
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
Before forking cash out to clean valves that don't need it, I'd like to inspect with my borescope. Where's the best place to insert it?

I'm thinking of taking the throttle body off and going in through there.
Going through throttle body should work. Will be some interferences though. How many miles on car? I cleaned mine at 81,000 miles and they were nasty!
wmssbr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #552
hbrown0509
FIA GT Newbie

So Iím pretty sure my second water pump is failing again. At about 34k miles would it even be worth a carbon cleaning since the manifold would be off? Otherwise would I just have the send pictures of the valves to see what they look like?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 AM   #553
GertieGTI
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2DR CW DSG
Quote:
So Iím pretty sure my second water pump is failing again. At about 34k miles would it even be worth a carbon cleaning since the manifold would be off? Otherwise would I just have the send pictures of the valves to see what they look like?

When my third one went out just before the recall notice I asked if the dealership could snap and few pictures of the valves just out of curiosity. I was told the dealership does not remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump. Most DIY typically do though.
GertieGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #554
hbrown0509
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieGTI View Post
When my third one went out just before the recall notice I asked if the dealership could snap and few pictures of the valves just out of curiosity. I was told the dealership does not remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump. Most DIY typically do though.

Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that they donít.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #555
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieGTI View Post
Quote:
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that they donít.

My dealership does remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump and asked if I wanted the valves cleaned for $180 since most of the labor is already being covered under warranty for the water pump.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #556
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmssbr10 View Post
Going through throttle body should work. Will be some interferences though. How many miles on car? I cleaned mine at 81,000 miles and they were nasty!
79k! I thrash the crap out of the car and run 98 oct fuel so hoping the buildup should be quite low
Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #557
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
79k! I thrash the crap out of the car and run 98 oct fuel so hoping the buildup should be quite low
US 93 is the same as EU's 98 if you consider the RON vs AKI Octane rating. Gas shouldn't have a huge impact but trashing the crap out of the car could help aka Italian tune-up to blow out all that carbon.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #558
GroceryGTIer
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 black Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMKAY6 View Post
US 93 is the same as EU's 98 if you consider the RON vs AKI Octane rating. Gas shouldn't have a huge impact but trashing the crap out of the car could help aka Italian tune-up to blow out all that carbon.
Once it sticks to the valves, there really is no "blowing out carbon". It's a chemical reaction to the steel on the valves that causes the buildup
GroceryGTIer is online now   Reply With Quote