GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
smanierre
Autocross Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Help removing Trunk wall mounted subwoofer.

I just bought some LED tail lights and I went to install them but ran into an issue. The previous owner had a subwoofer installed like this:

https://imgur.com/a/JQ25j (i'm an idiot and cant get the pictures to embed in the post)

Does anyone know how to remove this so that I can get the driver side tail light installed, also so I can try and see whats wrong with the sub since it doesnt even work. Thanks.

Last edited by smanierre; 12-29-2017 at 08:25 PM.
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Most likely, they mounted it through the inside of the box, so the only way to remove it is to remove the subwoofer from the box first. Carefully remove those 10 screws and pull out the sub. You should be able to remove the box after that. It may be obvious why the subwoofer doesn't work when you actually remove it from the box and look at it. From the looks of the grill on it, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't cared for too well, haha. I'd expect to find a ruined sub, but you may get lucky and it could just be a loose wire. Either way, you'll need to remove the subwoofer from the box.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
smanierre
Autocross Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6-SPD Shadow Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
Most likely, they mounted it through the inside of the box, so the only way to remove it is to remove the subwoofer from the box first. Carefully remove those 10 screws and pull out the sub. You should be able to remove the box after that. It may be obvious why the subwoofer doesn't work when you actually remove it from the box and look at it. From the looks of the grill on it, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't cared for too well, haha. I'd expect to find a ruined sub, but you may get lucky and it could just be a loose wire. Either way, you'll need to remove the subwoofer from the box.
So I got the sub off and only thing I saw inside was the little metal nub in the picture. Should that twist off and free the box?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
smanierre is offline   Reply With Quote