GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Jfabre23
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Mk6 gti
Fuel smell after fuel pump install

Hey guys I have a 2012 gti 6spd manual. I recently changed my in tank fuel pump about a week ago... and Iíve been experiencing a strong gas smell after pumping gas in my car and the car is running fine.. thereís no rough idling or anything.. so Iím pretty lost on this.. just wondering if anyone knows what I could possibly do to get rid of the smell or anything?
Jfabre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
alpha3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '14 CSG GTI
When you replaced the in tank pump, did you also use a new rubber gasket or did you re-use the old one? Because if you used the old one, that's most likely the culprit. Either that, or you didn't seat the new one properly.

I had this happen to me too; my new pump arrived but the gasket got lost in shipping. I ordered a new one but used the old one in the meantime and it never sealed well...I smelled gas all the time until the new gasket came and I put it in.
alpha3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
ferrariF60
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 TR 2DR GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfabre23 View Post
Hey guys I have a 2012 gti 6spd manual. I recently changed my in tank fuel pump about a week ago... and Iíve been experiencing a strong gas smell after pumping gas in my car and the car is running fine.. thereís no rough idling or anything.. so Iím pretty lost on this.. just wondering if anyone knows what I could possibly do to get rid of the smell or anything?
why did you have to replace the intank fuel pump on a 2012 car??? did it throw any CODES??

i have a 2010 and still on my original pump....also original water pump.....and now that i SAID it....well let's hope nothnig happens....LOL
2010 TR GTI 6MT: APR Stage 1 ECU | APR carbonio | HS Tuning RSR Clutch | Red DB Mount Insert | Neuspeed Charge and Discharge Pipes | Neuspeed Cat Back | GFB DV+ | H&R Sport Springs | S3 Shifter & 42DD Aluminum Bushings | OEM Golf R LED Tails | Golf R Side Skirts | OEM Front Lip | H&R 12-15mm spacers | PIAA Ion Yellow Fogs | Aspherical Mirrors |
ferrariF60 is offline   Reply With Quote