GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
HetfieldInc
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Black 2013 Drivers Edition
Getting tcu tune

So my normal shop is about an hour drive down the turnpike to Coral Springs. Theyíve done all the work on my car this far. Apr stage 2, downpipe, neuspeed catback, intake, dogbone insert.

Question is, now there is an apr dealer 10 minutes from my house. Should I continue going to the place that knows my car and has done all other work or just go down the street for the tcu tune? I canít imagine that thereís much to doing this tune. Or are there specific files for cars with certain mods?

My normal shop is USP motorsports in Coral Springs.
The new one is Serious autosport in West Palm.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 // APR tcu tune // APR Cast downpipe // Neuspeed non resonated SS catback // APR Carbonio Intake // R8 Coilpacks // Spulen dogbone insert // Smoked side markers // OEM Cherry Red Euro Tail Lights
HetfieldInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
I drive across the state to a shop I trust. I'd say the hour drive is worth it. Mine is a 3 hour trek every time I've had work done like exhaust, tune, etc.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Its just a flash for a tcu tune. Not much you can do mess that up. Personally if they are a approved APR dealer i'd just go to whoever is closer.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
HetfieldInc
Rally Car Newbie

Lol, here’s my dilemma. I too figured that it was just a tcu flash and anyone could do it, but then I thought that usp has done everything else. And I think they have to put in exactly what ecu file I’ve got and the user defined shift patterns, launch control values, and some other things like max rpm, automatic up shift in M mode.

Ahh, Usp also can’t do it until after the 1st where at serious I could get it done this week.
APR Stage 2 v2.4 // APR tcu tune // APR Cast downpipe // Neuspeed non resonated SS catback // APR Carbonio Intake // R8 Coilpacks // Spulen dogbone insert // Smoked side markers // OEM Cherry Red Euro Tail Lights
Old 12-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
I would go to the shop that's closer. You might find out they are just as good. If not you can continue driving an hour away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
webbry4
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
I would go to the shop that's closer. You might find out they are just as good. If not you can continue driving an hour away.

This it's just a tcu tune apr software should recognize which software your ecu is on. It's best to find out how you like the shop on something damn near impossible to fuck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
man this guy is gonna be pissed if the new shop somehow bricks his TCU doing the flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
HetfieldInc
Rally Car Newbie

I’m taking the 45 minute drive in the morning to go to the shop that I trust. Lol... just feels better going to the place that has done all the work on my car. Looking forward to the DSG finally behaving properly. It definitely shifts way to low on the stock tcu software... 40mph and in already in 5th or 6th
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HetfieldInc View Post
Iím taking the 45 minute drive in the morning to go to the shop that I trust. Lol... just feels better going to the place that has done all the work on my car. Looking forward to the DSG finally behaving properly. It definitely shifts way to low on the stock tcu software... 40mph and in already in 5th or 6th
thats economy driving... if you wanted it to hold the gears you could drive in sport mode.. but when in drive you should expect it to be as high a gear as it possibly can... thats the whole purpose of Drive.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion

Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
thats economy driving... if you wanted it to hold the gears you could drive in sport mode.. but when in drive you should expect it to be as high a gear as it possibly can... thats the whole purpose of Drive.
Do note that even in sport mode it will upshift even if u let up off the gas meaning it has an econ mode although not as aggressive as drive mode. Just throw it over to manual if u want full control.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
Do note that even in sport mode it will upshift even if u let up off the gas meaning it has an econ mode although not as aggressive as drive mode. Just throw it over to manual if u want full control.

this too. I drive around in manual mode all the time... and slap it into D when im lazy
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
this too. I drive around in manual mode all the time... and slap it into D when im lazy
This. Although after getting Unitronic's TCU Stage 1 tune, it's no longer a drag to drive around in D. So nowadays I'm driving in D mode more often.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
HetfieldInc
Rally Car Newbie

I used to drive in manual almost all the time too, but the apr tcu tune also increases the clutch clamping force which is good with being stage 2.
And damn the car drives so much better now than it did with the stock tcu software. D no longer lugs when you give it gas, sport mode is actually useful now and the manual shifting is even faster than before. Sport mode actually works like you would expect it to without holding gears up until 6-7k rpm, and yes I know if you let off the gas it will upshift, still the apr tcu tune handles sport mode so much better.

One thing I’ve noticed which may change as the tcu re learns my driving habits is, the shifts are so quick now i don’t always get the dsg farts.

Definitely glad I got this.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #14
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HetfieldInc View Post
I used to drive in manual almost all the time too, but the apr tcu tune also increases the clutch clamping force which is good with being stage 2.
And damn the car drives so much better now than it did with the stock tcu software. D no longer lugs when you give it gas, sport mode is actually useful now and the manual shifting is even faster than before. Sport mode actually works like you would expect it to without holding gears up until 6-7k rpm, and yes I know if you let off the gas it will upshift, still the apr tcu tune handles sport mode so much better.

One thing Iíve noticed which may change as the tcu re learns my driving habits is, the shifts are so quick now i donít always get the dsg farts.

Definitely glad I got this.
Not sure about that one, see http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=40

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is online now   Reply With Quote