GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Had a carbon cleaning done this morning. No symptoms, but the car is about to roll 80k soon so I figured be proactive about it.

Only real buildup was in #3. The tech said it must've been cleaned prior, but it hasn't. Wants me to keep driving it the same way because it's clearly working

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Had a carbon cleaning done this morning. No symptoms, but the car is about to roll 80k soon so I figured be proactive about it.

Only real buildup was in #3. The tech said it must've been cleaned prior, but it hasn't. Wants me to keep driving it the same way because it's clearly working

Well that’s good news! Do you drive it like you stole it frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion

...[emoji848] slow, as to not attract attention?

[emoji6]

Phur

Autocross Champion
Wait a minute, never mind... criminals are idiots... WOT whenever possible. [emoji849]

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
No, not really. I enjoy a nice on-ramp blast as much as anyone, but the majority of my 40mile commute, each way, is spent cruising at 65mph or so.

I try to keep it civil around town, with the exception being underpasses. I can't resist a nice tuned DSG crack out the AWE exhaust when those come.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
No, not really. I enjoy a nice on-ramp blast as much as anyone, but the majority of my 40mile commute, each way, is spent cruising at 65mph or so.

I try to keep it civil around town, with the exception being underpasses. I can't resist a nice tuned DSG crack out the AWE exhaust when those come.

Good taste in exhaust! [emoji1303] DSG tuned as well with a AWE turbo back and it sounds incredible in those situations. Actually any situation is a good situation to hear it crack. Lol.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I got the Wynn's gdi kit that I'm going to try soon. It has the decarb foam, gas additive, asnd the clean sweep. The foam goes it, you do a hot soak for 10 minutes and then do it again until the can is gone. The theory sounds interesting and possibly useful, we'll see how it does.

Anyone else have experience using this stuff? How did you use it? What were your results?

Laimface

Ready to race!
Before forking cash out to clean valves that don't need it, I'd like to inspect with my borescope. Where's the best place to insert it?

I'm thinking of taking the throttle body off and going in through there.

wmssbr10

Passed Driver's Ed
Before forking cash out to clean valves that don't need it, I'd like to inspect with my borescope. Where's the best place to insert it?

I'm thinking of taking the throttle body off and going in through there.

Going through throttle body should work. Will be some interferences though. How many miles on car? I cleaned mine at 81,000 miles and they were nasty!

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So I’m pretty sure my second water pump is failing again. At about 34k miles would it even be worth a carbon cleaning since the manifold would be off? Otherwise would I just have the send pictures of the valves to see what they look like?

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
So I’m pretty sure my second water pump is failing again. At about 34k miles would it even be worth a carbon cleaning since the manifold would be off? Otherwise would I just have the send pictures of the valves to see what they look like?

When my third one went out just before the recall notice I asked if the dealership could snap and few pictures of the valves just out of curiosity. I was told the dealership does not remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump. Most DIY typically do though.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
When my third one went out just before the recall notice I asked if the dealership could snap and few pictures of the valves just out of curiosity. I was told the dealership does not remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump. Most DIY typically do though.

Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that they don’t.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Good to know! Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that they don’t.

My dealership does remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump and asked if I wanted the valves cleaned for $180 since most of the labor is already being covered under warranty for the water pump.