GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
AmericanSwede
Drag Racing Champion
 
AmericanSwede's Avatar
 
Drives: VW MK6 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 55
How to remove lower front grill, anyone?

Finally decided I cant stand the heavily sun faded lower grill and missmatched front valance. I have had the bumper off twice trying to have a go at the different clips on the back, but with no luck. Does anyone have any tips, video guide etc for how I can go about removing the grill, fog light trim and front valance?

Searched the forum and gone trough endless pages to see if there was ever a write up etc on this, but cant find anything.


PC: ECS Tuning
__________________

'13 GTI | APR Carbonio Intake | ECS Dog Bone Insert | GFB DV+ | COBB AP | Stratified Tune | 3 catless downpipe | Koni Str.t | Eibach Pro | Nitto 555G2
AmericanSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 2,138
It's a shit ton of clips. You pretty much have a clip every few inches. I can't remember if I used a screwdriver or a trim removal too, but basically just take your time and push out 1 clip at a time. I think the best way to do it is to remove everything at once, I mean the fog light trim, the trim around the grill piece, and the lower grill will come out together almost like they're 1 piece. Then from there you can work on separating the different pieces. I couldn't find a guide when I did mine either, I just freeballed it and took my time with it. If you can figure out which clips are keeping the trim pieces onto the bumper and which clips are keeping the trim pieces together you should be able to get it apart.

__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
AmericanSwede
Drag Racing Champion
 
AmericanSwede's Avatar
 
Drives: VW MK6 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
It's a shit ton of clips. You pretty much have a clip every few inches. I can't remember if I used a screwdriver or a trim removal too, but basically just take your time and push out 1 clip at a time. I think the best way to do it is to remove everything at once, I mean the fog light trim, the trim around the grill piece, and the lower grill will come out together almost like they're 1 piece. Then from there you can work on separating the different pieces. I couldn't find a guide when I did mine either, I just freeballed it and took my time with it. If you can figure out which clips are keeping the trim pieces onto the bumper and which clips are keeping the trim pieces together you should be able to get it apart.

Thanks, do you remember if you had to remove the headlight washers (not the caps on the bumper) on the backside as well?
__________________

'13 GTI | APR Carbonio Intake | ECS Dog Bone Insert | GFB DV+ | COBB AP | Stratified Tune | 3 catless downpipe | Koni Str.t | Eibach Pro | Nitto 555G2
AmericanSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
jay745
Mod Flanders
 
jay745's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 18,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSwede View Post
Thanks, do you remember if you had to remove the headlight washers (not the caps on the bumper) on the backside as well?
No you don't have to.
__________________
Hit me up for VagCom in Chicago
Click >here< for my build thread.
I'll do your 40k service for much cheaper than a dealer.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
riceburner
FIA GT Champion
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,221
I'm with the first poster. I had an absolute hell of a time taking my whole bumper apart. One clip at a time, using cut up credit cards to keep clips from reclipping helped. Even a heat gun helped just to soften a few things up.
__________________
buildie buildie.. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110051
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion
 
sterkrazzy's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 gti
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
I'm with the first poster. I had an absolute hell of a time taking my whole bumper apart. One clip at a time, using cut up credit cards to keep clips from reclipping helped. Even a heat gun helped just to soften a few things up.
That's not a bad idea. Especially at the start. The first couple clips will want to pop back into place, but once you get a few of them going it starts to get easier.
__________________
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
AmericanSwede
Drag Racing Champion
 
AmericanSwede's Avatar
 
Drives: VW MK6 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 55
Thanks everyone! Stopped by Harbor Freight yesterday to pick up some new prying tools and hoping to finally conquer these clips this weekend.
__________________

'13 GTI | APR Carbonio Intake | ECS Dog Bone Insert | GFB DV+ | COBB AP | Stratified Tune | 3 catless downpipe | Koni Str.t | Eibach Pro | Nitto 555G2
AmericanSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Tony48
Rally Car Champion
 
Tony48's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 328
I've taken the the front bumper apart quite a few times. The first time was a pain but it's been easy since. I took photos in anticipation of writing a DIY but never got around to it. Go to my Flickr, linked in my signature, and click the "Custom Lower Grille" album.

IMG_20170225_150032 by Tony G, on Flickr
__________________
| 2011 GTI, 6speed, 4dr | Build Thread| Timing Chain Replacement Tips | DIY RSR Clutch & RMS Replacement Tips|
Tony48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
AmericanSwede
Drag Racing Champion
 
AmericanSwede's Avatar
 
Drives: VW MK6 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony48 View Post
I've taken the the front bumper apart quite a few times. The first time was a pain but it's been easy since. I took photos in anticipation of writing a DIY but never got around to it. Go to my Flickr, linked in my signature, and click the "Custom Lower Grille" album.

IMG_20170225_150032 by Tony G, on Flickr
This is awesome!! Thanks!
__________________

'13 GTI | APR Carbonio Intake | ECS Dog Bone Insert | GFB DV+ | COBB AP | Stratified Tune | 3 catless downpipe | Koni Str.t | Eibach Pro | Nitto 555G2
AmericanSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.