GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Control arm bracket replacement costs?

vwander

My steering's begun to wobble a bit past 60mph. Most things I read suggest that it's maybe an issue with the control arm bushings or mount. Any ideas on how much I should be paying for replacing the control arm brackets/bushings and getting an alignment?

2013 mk6 in southern california. Dealership prices are all over the place and I'm not able to get any reasonable idea from looking online.

Also, any suggestions on good indie mechanics in the area for this would be much appreciated. Not a big fan of the local dealers anymore...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It's pretty simple to swap

If you buy the bushing itself (which is the cheapest route)....that would require more work. You'd have to have the old bushing pressed out & the new one pressed in on the LCA

OR you could buy a new control arm with a new bushing in it (more expensive, but you can install yourself).

Remove the bolt, remove the 3 nuts on the LCA, then pull the LCA from the rear mount or pull the mount down with it.
Then swap it in & reinstall the same way

The rear arm mount is easy to swap too, especially if you're working on the LCA at the same time...just two bolts hold it in place.
I'd grab new OEM bolts when reinstalling that mount though