GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
TiCoyote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Sudden jerking or loss of power on highway

I drive a 2012 DSG, stock, with 17" snow tires. I was driving home yesterday afternoon in bad weather (snow) and every few minutes the car kept suddenly losing power for a fraction of a second, then it would kick back in. As if it suddenly slowed down and then sped back up. I was driving at around 60mph, and the problem only happened on the highway. Once I got onto surface roads it was fine. It happened both with and without cruise-control.

It only happened yesterday afternoon. Not yesterday morning, and not today in the morning. Also, no warning lights on the dash, and no funny sounds.

I called the dealer, they said that they would need to replicate it or see a light on the dash. Maybe I was slipping on ice. Is it possible that this was the traction control (or stability control or ASR) kicking in? I didn't see that "anti-skid" light on the dash. Does the car simply de-power when you hit a slippery patch at speed?
TiCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
did the RPM drop? Did the car actually lost all electrical power and turned back on?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
TiCoyote
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Thanks for the reply.

It didn't lose any electrical power. It just felt as if I had suddenly slowed and then accelerated hard. Or as if I had suddenly downshifted hard, or shifted down and then back up again. I wasn't watching the tachometer. Like I said, the roads were bad so I had to keep an eye on the road.

I was driving in worse conditions last week and I didn't experience this, but I was on surface roads going 40, rather than 60 on the highway.
TiCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
gti2015
Autocross Newbie

Drives: gti
Had this happen but my car shut off - it ended up being my in tank fuel pump.
gti2015 is online now   Reply With Quote