GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
If you maintain the R32, then you will at least get your money back out of it. If you roll off the lot with an R, then you can expect normal depreciation, and the mk8 is right around the corner. If you have the ability, get the r32 and have fun with it until you are ready to be done with it. Sell it and buy a mk8 R.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #16
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
If I wanted a daily rocket whose normal depreciation cost can be written off as the price of transportation, Golf R. If I wanted a toy on the side that I could swap out on a whim without losing much value, GT-R.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
Krog29
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 UG GTI/DSG
My mk6 is paid off. Stage 2 since 60k and has 90k miles on it right now. Updated water pump and timing chain tensioner done be me. Well everything I've done to my mk6 was done by me. The skyline would be my tow. It would be stored for winter since I live in Minnesota (we use a lot of salt on the roads) but it would be out a lot during the summer time. Not going to be a show car.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krog29 View Post
Serious question... I love my mk6 gti. Was thinking of getting a mk7.5 r with the dq500 dsg.. or should I run this f*ucker in the dirt and get a skyline r32 for a project car?
Do they really come with the gearbox? That's nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradoluvher View Post
Imo skyline. You see mk7 Golf Rs more than anything else on the road.
Sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
If I wanted a daily rocket whose normal depreciation cost can be written off as the price of transportation, Golf R. If I wanted a toy on the side that I could swap out on a whim without losing much value, GT-R.
Yup
A buch of goodies APR’s K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APR’s TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf R’s skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #19
SyDiko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
He has a 1995 R33 Gtr vspec he is willing to let me buy it. .
Your debate right now is between an MK7R vs R33 as a project? As a tuner, you should absolutely jump on the R33. And, the only reason why you shouldn't jump on the R33 is because you found a R34 at an even better price.
SyDiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #20
davisharr
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI Stage 2
Quote:
Actually just found out a buddy of mine lives in Japan from my military days. He has a 1995 R33 Gtr vspec he is willing to let me buy it. Cant import it till 2020.
If you need someone to watch it for you I could always register it up here in Canada and baby sit her for you

Personally I have driven an r33, r34 and a heavily modified r32, none of them GTR's. Just the mid range RWD Turbo models. I liked them, but with the way prices are now going I dont think they are as worth the money as they used to be. A GTST/GTT for 10K or a GTR for 25 was a great price, but now that they are legal in the U.S. the prices are getting a little silly.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #21
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Have you considered having something else imported? The GT-R has undeniable parking lot appeal, but twin turbo Mk3 Supras, Silvias, and "normal" turbo Skylines are pretty cheap right now. A good way to dangle your feet in the pool without going all in on something as expensive as a GT-R.

1JZ-GTE Supras look really appealing to me right now and a clean one might turn nearly as many heads as a GT-R.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
Krog29
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '11 UG GTI/DSG
A gtr has been a dream car of mine for a very long time. I've driven a couple r32 and r33s about 10 years ago. The car my buddy has the one i want to by is pushing 550 to the wheels on 91 and has e85 set up as well. Going to pull the trigger once I fly there and drive the car.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #23
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Good luck, I hope you find a good one.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #24
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: A really fast 4 door S14
Normally I would say R32 GTR, but you better get yourself a pristine example of one. R32 GTR's are money pits, about on the same level as an E30 M3 I would say. Pains me to say it because I fancy R32 GTR's, but given the number of janky-ass R-grade examples that get brought in to the states by scrupulous importers I've had a change of heart on them.

At least with the MK7.5R you wouldn't be subjected to the infamous passenger dash bubble nor would you suffer from rust issues.

Ironic that I'm saying this since I hate VW, but gotta call a spade a spade here. In any case, hope OP finds a Grade 4 or higher R32 GTR soon.

Speaking of JDM cars, I'm bringing an old man Toyota stateside in the next few weeks:

Yup, just another Camry.
DUBPL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #25
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
Normally I would say R32 GTR, but you better get yourself a pristine example of one. R32 GTR's are money pits, about on the same level as an E30 M3 I would say. Pains me to say it because I fancy R32 GTR's, but given the number of janky-ass R-grade examples that get brought in to the states by scrupulous importers I've had a change of heart on them.

At least with the MK7.5R you wouldn't be subjected to the infamous passenger dash bubble nor would you suffer from rust issues.

Ironic that I'm saying this since I hate VW, but gotta call a spade a spade here. In any case, hope OP finds a Grade 4 or higher R32 GTR soon.

Speaking of JDM cars, I'm bringing an old man Toyota stateside in the next few weeks:

Yup, just another Camry.
What are the deets on this guy? How much is it going to cost you to bring a 2jz sleeper over or is it a 1jz? This interests me.
Eurodyne Tune • ECS Intake • RSR Clutch • Peloquin LSD • Fluidampr Crank Pulley• Neuspeed FMIC • Charge & Top Pipe • Turbosmart Thing • Dieselgeek Short Throw • Eurojet Catless DP • Vanguard Catback • R8 Coils • Bosch Plugs • 034 Street Density Trans/Motor Mounts • Advanti HY Hybris Black • Conti ExtremeContact • Mabotech m380h w/tune

Last edited by bart2278; 02-07-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 AM   #26
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
What are the deets on this guy? How much is it going to cost you to bring a 2jz sleeper over or is it a 1jz? This interests me.
It's a bone stock Tourer V, with 79,000 km's and it's obviously a 1JZ-GTE from that photo (the 2500 gives it away).
Old 02-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #27
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
It's a bone stock Tourer V, with 79,000 km's and it's obviously a 1JZ-GTE from that photo (the 2500 gives it away).
Forgive me, I don't really know the nuances about JDM vehicles. I hear the 1jz is not a bad engine though. Are you leaving it stock or do you have plans for modification?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #28
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart2278 View Post
Forgive me, I don't really know the nuances about JDM vehicles. I hear the 1jz is not a bad engine though. Are you leaving it stock or do you have plans for modification?
It'd be a shame to leave such a car in stock form.