GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

if lowered, which struts to replace OEMs?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I know I'm not the only one to have asked this, searching hasn't yielded too much analysis...

There aren't TOO many options out there, mainly Bilstein vs Koni's.

Just for some experience, I want STREETABLE setup, that can handle the worst street terrain there is (Chicago lol).

Lowered on VWR for info. 50k miles, not saying my OEM's are shot but they have been getting a little grumpier since the day I lowered - car went from smooth to rather rough pretty quick. About time for an upgrade IMO. :)

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Koni Yellow or Bilstein Sport. I'm running Koni FSD, but I don't recommend them for performance springs.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Geeez, B6 and B8 struts are expensive... any use the OEM with the VW/Eibach

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Lots of guys are running and/or have run them.

They're set softer than something like the Bilsteins, so I prefer them on the rough Michigan roads to maintain a civil/comfortable ride

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I have STR.T's (paired w/ DG's) & hate it. The struts feel softer than stock to me. Come spring I'm either just going back to stock set-up or putting on Koni yellows.

thanks for the feedback Sorry again OP

How many clicks on them? Did you hate them right away? Aren't DG's spring rate a different rate than Driver Gear? Could that be the reason your STR.T's feel soft?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have STR.T's (paired w/ DG's) & hate it. The struts feel softer than stock to me. Come spring I'm either just going back to stock set-up or putting on Koni yellows.

They are

If you want comfort, they're awesome.
If you want performance/handling, then yeah the (adjustable) Koni Sports or Bilsteins would be a better option

thanks for the feedback Sorry again OP

How many clicks on them? Did you hate them right away? Aren't DG's spring rate a different rate than Driver Gear? Could that be the reason your STR.T's feel soft?

DriverGear = DG springs

STr.T's are soft....they're similar to what Koni Sports would be set to full soft