GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I think one of the best is 187B noname HW 534 or 541...

Is that the one that has car play and android auto? There’s so many different makers and versions it’s hard to keep straight. I got the 187b with the VW logo and part number on it. I think it’s the one that comes with Apple car play from factory and not the hacked version.

andrewspearns

Is that the one that has car play and android auto? There’s so many different makers and versions it’s hard to keep straight. I got the 187b with the VW logo and part number on it. I think it’s the one that comes with Apple car play from factory and not the hacked version.

I've got a pretty limited post history, but if you look at mine you'll find a link to the one I bought and then upgraded to get Android Auto. Picked it up on eBay, it arrived quickly, and then I was able to upgrade pretty easily. I can send you links to the firmware too if you PM me.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Damn. It looks like the one I ordered “desay” manufacturer doesn’t have any firmware upgrades so I can’t add android auto, which isn’t a big deal since I use iPhone.

The only thing that I would have done is upgrade to the red theme so that all the screens better match the interior. I saw the red theme on rcd330plus.com

Anyone know why there isn’t any firmware for the desay model?

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed

I think it has slightly different hardware, just enough that any old upgrade firmware won't work. For what it's worth, I believe the Desay units have the fewest weirdo bugs that a lot of these things have...

dadjoke

This update worked for me as well! I have the same unit described by Simba92.

It looks like the wetransfer link is dead now, but I have uploaded it myself, hopefully it stays up. Follow the instructions above.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zrc3d18yc8mrw3d/std_plus_pss-6.5inch_1014_5314_VW_PQ_GP1.tar

Just wanted to bump this link because I was able to use it to update the firmware on my no-name unit. I also ran into the “Variant Conflict Error”, so I used the 5515 update from the link below and then downgraded to 5314.

https://youtu.be/ge_5Rpp1kg8

I also thought that it'd be helpful to list out the pros and cons since updating my firmware. The cons aren't dealbreakers IMHO.

Pros:
  • Swapped out Baidu CarLife for Android Auto
  • Red accents instead of yellow accents
  • The post-Siri/phone call volume jump seems to be addressed, but I also adjusted the max volume and voice command (I think that's what it's called) levels under Settings > Sound

Cons:
  • No more EQ options to choose from
  • Inconsistent accent color in the Settings menu — some are yellow/orange and some are green

Atsiki

Passed Driver's Ed
Look here for firmware update

http://rcd330plus.com/showthread.php?tid=6

For 187A desay theme and video play
Look here :

https://youtu.be/opS__OmWQGc

eurosport

Damn. It looks like the one I ordered “desay” manufacturer doesn’t have any firmware upgrades so I can’t add android auto, which isn’t a big deal since I use iPhone.

The only thing that I would have done is upgrade to the red theme so that all the screens better match the interior. I saw the red theme on rcd330plus.com

I have the same unit. I believe the reason there are no firmware updates to the Desay model is because it runs on WindowsCE, whereas the other no-name models run Linux.

My Desay unit definitely has its issues. Periodic reboots in cold weather. "Baidu Car Life" option when phone is plugged in (useless). Bluetooth recognizes the phone quickly, but playing music can take a while. My CarPlay disconnects from the phone periodically (I still need to try a different cable).

Atsiki

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same unit. I believe the reason there are no firmware updates to the Desay model is because it runs on WindowsCE, whereas the other no-name models run Linux.

My Desay unit definitely has its issues. Periodic reboots in cold weather. "Baidu Car Life" option when phone is plugged in (useless). Bluetooth recognizes the phone quickly, but playing music can take a while. My CarPlay disconnects from the phone periodically (I still need to try a different cable).

This is problem of desay 187A cold time restarting self 5-6 times and after work well

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Does the Desay version 187b have any issues?

The Red Warrior

Does the Desay version 187b have any issues?

The only'isue' I have with mine is that the audio mutes itself sometimes if the radio has been off for only a few minutes. For instance when you gas up. You come back to the car, turn it on but there is no sound. You have to switch to another source (at which point the audio comes back) and then switch back to the source you were listening to if that's what you want.
I've never heard of anyone else with this issue though.

spicypiel

Ready to race!
Guess there's no news on any fixes coming for the noname firmare then?

No surprise, sort of expected this but doesn't detract from the slightly annoying experience when using the unit.