GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI - Engine/Start up problems.

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Obviously it would be wise to swap the plug around to check if the misfire moves with it,

Possible causes of P0302

Faulty spark plug #2
Clogged or faulty fuel injector #2
Faulty ignition coil #2
Fuel injector #2 harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector #2 circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil #2 harness is open or shorted
Ignition coil #2 circuit poor electrical connection
Insufficient cylinder #2 compression
Incorrect fuel pressure
Intake air leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I no i should have done the fuel filter already!! haha i will get on to it.

Thanks for your help!

Can you tell me about this noise from my exhaust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxL_tBblJc

Also what is this hole underneath my car?
https://imgur.com/a/T38aD

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The noise sounds like exhaust baffles, tap the silencers with a closed fist or a rubber mallet to see if you can make the noise, I had that noise on my MK1 fiesta XR2 many years ago, not a good idea as it will restrict flow but all I did was just hit the silencer with a mallet until I trapped/jammed them (I was 17 and didn’t care), but as said not a smart move so if you find it is the baffles you’ll have to replace the exhaust or live with it!

Could also be the cat or something else such as a blowing exhaust but hard to tell from the other end of an internet connection! [emoji51]

Last edited:

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Not solved.

Exhaust is smoking/ making noises
Car will misfire on idle once its warmed up

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
What’s not solved? Exhaust or the filter?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Have you swapped the plug and coil packs around to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder?

EDIT: just remembered you already swapped the coils!

Last edited:

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Both :happyanim:

Got to be fuel injectors?

Rough idle/starting ONLY - never when driving, has no loss of power

MPG has dropped

Sometimes when trying to start EPC and CEL lights up, has no throttle response at all.. you can't rev it.

Exhaust smoking and it smells of fuel

Exhaust rattle/noise

I no i should have took it to a garage by now but ive been busy.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Both :happyanim:

Got to be fuel injectors?

Rough idle/starting ONLY - never when driving, has no loss of power

MPG has dropped

Sometimes when trying to start EPC and CEL lights up, has no throttle response at all.. you can't rev it.

Exhaust smoking and it smells of fuel

Exhaust rattle/noise

I no i should have took it to a garage by now but i just been busy.

Yeah that does sound like an injector issue or possibly the wiring to the injector! As said though it’s hard to diagnose from the end of an internet connection!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I don’t know the cost as never needed to have it done but the intake will need to come off to get to them so probably around two hours to change them plus the parts cost, did you change the filter already??

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
https://imgur.com/a/DQSd5 - Old filter 6.4BAR, the one i put on was 6.6BAR will that be ok?

Yes only today though should i let it run a little? Not tried a cold start yet.

If your original was 6.6 and you then put in a 6.4 it would not be ok but I’m not sure the other way around? I think it’s ok but I’ll need to check, what is the car behaving like with the new filter fitted? Have you cleared the fault codes? Do they come back?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Using the 6.6 bar as apposed to the 6.4 bar appears to be fine (at least on the GTi anyway) so you should be ok.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’m not really sure why you’ve already come to the conclusion it’s the injectors (my reply above was on the assumption you had changed the filter) when you hadn’t fitted the filter until today, it may well not be the filter (I think it is though) but you should have fitted a new one before trying anything else as it’s a major culprit when you have your symptoms, your plug looking a little sooty and the fuel smell from the exhaust are both symptoms of low fuel pressure as are your other symptoms, although these symptoms can point to other things as well i think that in your case these combined point to it being a faulty pressure regulator in the old filter.

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
If your original was 6.6 and you then put in a 6.4 it would not be ok but I’m not sure the other way around? I think it’s ok but I’ll need to check, what is the car behaving like with the new filter fitted? Have you cleared the fault codes? Do they come back?

Original was 6.4Bar it had done 60K miles, i have had the car since 30K miles and i have not had it changed and from what i can see the previous owner didn't change it either so it was due i believe.

The new one is 6.6Bar the car started straight away and i done a test drive with no problems, the car was a little shaky still on idle but no fault codes at the minute but i have not really drove it, i'm going to cold start it tomorrow morning and give it a good drive on the country roads near me.

So that's spark plugs, coils and fuel filter if it has not resolved my problem it should be the injectors. :)