GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Leaking Oil

slip

Hello, I had noticed some oil in my driveway and just figure it was the drain plug for the engine oil but after getting under the car it looks to me like it's coming from the dsg trans. Here's a pic below. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hello, I had noticed some oil in my driveway and just figure it was the drain plug for the engine oil but after getting under the car it looks to me like it's coming from the dsg trans. Here's a pic below. Any insight would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's the same for dsg as manual but it could be a blown out rear main seal

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
can you re upload pic?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Of the DSG trans?

The rear main seal is between the engine and trans where the crankshaft is on the engine side so when it goes you will see oil leak down to where the trans and engine mate. Pretty common on 2.0TSI unfortunately. Poor PCV system and failures of it can cause overpressurization of the crankcase causing rear main seal to blow out. Rear main can also cause engine to run rough and throw codes too

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
^x2. Yes, rear main seal. You can see oil spreads around tranny mount and subframe area. Clean up area with brake cleaner and you can see seepage or leaking again. Check oil level and refill until replacing RMS. Mine just replaced several weeks ago. First replacement failed and leaked again and dealer did again. Now, no leaking at all. Repair cost varies between $800~$1,200??? I did at dealer because about $150 differed from Indy shop and dealer gave me loaner car and near by. GL!

slip

Thanks for the replies guys! I will clean it up with some brake cleaner and check the leak again as suggested. So just to be clear you are saying this is engine oil and not dsg fluid?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Yes, they are saying its engine oil. The rear main seal has the job of sealing the crankshaft. When the RMS fails it at time seems that the transmission is leaking because the RMS is in between the engine and transmission. Replacing the RMS is not an easy or cheap task as it requires dropping the transmission. Typically a RMS failure is linked to a failed or about to fail PCV valve. So if your going to replace your RMS you should also change your PCV valve as they are also known to fail. It would be horrible to pay $1000 to replace your RMS for it to only fail a few weeks later due to a bad PCV.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Do not take PCV valve replacement from shop and that costs way higher than actual job(less than 30 miniutes job and only need torx (30?) bit and remove 2 coil pack).
Replace PCV by yourself and save $$. Buy revised OEM PCV valve.

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a slow engine leak under my car as well, i've been reading i think i may have the same issue, i just need to jack up my car to see.

On that note is there a way to verify that u have a faulty PCV valve? My car hasn't thrown any codes and idle does not seem rough