GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTI strange noise on accelerating from dig

soyfiti

Passed Driver's Ed
Dear all:

Yesterday i did 2 dig tries,

the first one everyhthing went fine, but
the second one the car did some strange things.

The revs went down a couple times and then i hear a weird noise, i think it coming from the front train... i dont know what happened. :iono:

could you guys help me to find out what had happened?

here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj79tMmCxY8&feature=youtu.be

Regards!

Laimface

Ready to race!
Dear all:

Yesterday i did 2 dig tries,

the first one everyhthing went fine, but
the second one the car did some strange things.

The revs went down a couple times and then i hear a weird noise, i think it coming from the front train... i dont know what happened. :iono:

could you guys help me to find out what had happened?

here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj79tMmCxY8&feature=youtu.be

Regards!

The loud thud sound you are hearing is wheel hop. I used to have very bad wheel hop which was fixed by inserting a polyurethane gearbox dogbone mount insert like this: https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-...dogbone-mount-insert-kit-pff85-504-pff85-704/

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I usually turn off traction control when i dig. Seems to be less wheel hop and i think when it wheel hop the engine cuts power because it thinks you are losing traction.

soyfiti

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually turn off traction control when i dig. Seems to be less wheel hop and i think when it wheel hop the engine cuts power because it thinks you are losing traction.

Yes, i turned off the traction control as well, anyway the engine cuts the power, that was weird.

Last edited:

soyfiti

Passed Driver's Ed
BSH mounts took care of this for me. The noise and vibration isn't for everyone, but it sure hooks up well.

Finally i bought the powerflex dogbone, that you guys recommended to me.

Do you have some opinions regarding this piece?

Thanks!

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Engine, Tranny & Subfram mount will remove all wheel hop and then some. Also makes the car much more fun to drive but adds slight vibrations.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
Also, if you get new mounts, I would recommend keeping the stock mounts in case

1. You don't like the noise/vibration and
2. You decide to sell your car.

I've had multiple had multiple service techs try to sell me everything from a manifold cleaning to a new clutch/transmission because it's "running rough", when its actually just the way it runs with solid engine/transmission mounts. I would imagine a potential car buyer would have a hard time understanding as well.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Engine, Tranny & Subfram mount will remove all wheel hop and then some. Also makes the car much more fun to drive but adds slight vibrations.

I have all of these mounts and still get wheel hop. It is significantly improved, but still there. Am I missing something?

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I have all of these mounts and still get wheel hop. It is significantly improved, but still there. Am I missing something?
I'm not real familiar with the 034 mounts. Some have more give than others for the sake of comfort. I've been told the Spulen's aren't as firm as the BSH mounts etc... Plus, it looks like you have a LSD which might complicate things.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I'm not real familiar with the 034 mounts. Some have more give than others for the sake of comfort. I've been told the Spulen's aren't as firm as the BSH mounts etc... Plus, it looks like you have a LSD which might complicate things.

Makes sense. A little throttle control and I'll be ok, but it would be nice to have the option of no hop! I'm not sure how the LSD impacts things either. It sure is fun in the corners though!

Sorry for thread jacking OP.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
Makes sense. A little throttle control and I'll be ok, but it would be nice to have the option of no hop! I'm not sure how the LSD impacts things either. It sure is fun in the corners though!

Just one more quick thread jack...

I see that you also have a Southbend stage 2 clutch. Did your clutch get loud when you replaced the engine mounts or vice versa? Not clutch chatter. I have a Southbend stage 2 endurance and it makes almost static sound when its engaged and I'm moving.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion

If you want to eliminate wheel hop altogether, FWD probably isn't your best choice. A rear wheel drive is a much better platform for a drag race, there's a certain amount of compromise that you need to make (or at least understand) when you turn a FWD car into a sports car. I think a bit of wheel hop from a powerful FWD car is completely acceptable, you can spend a bunch of money to fight it, but you'll sacrifice ride comfort in the process.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
Just one more quick thread jack...

I see that you also have a Southbend stage 2 clutch. Did your clutch get loud when you replaced the engine mounts or vice versa? Not clutch chatter. I have a Southbend stage 2 endurance and it makes almost static sound when its engaged and I'm moving.

I believe I got those done at the same time, so I wouldn't be able to attribute new noise to one thing over the other. I also have the Stage 2 Daily rather than the Endurance. While driving and it's engaged I don't think I've heard the noise you described. At low revs in a parking lot or at the bottom of a gear I'll get some diesel like sounds, but that's all.

If you want to eliminate wheel hop altogether, FWD probably isn't your best choice. A rear wheel drive is a much better platform for a drag race, there's a certain amount of compromise that you need to make (or at least understand) when you turn a FWD car into a sports car. I think a bit of wheel hop from a powerful FWD car is completely acceptable, you can spend a bunch of money to fight it, but you'll sacrifice ride comfort in the process.

You're definitely right. This is my first FWD car that has any sort of power, so it is new to me. I don't really mind the hop because I know this isn't a drag car. I'll take it to the local strip on occasion and lose every time, but it's just for the fun of it. I mostly enjoy the car out in country roads that have curves. More often than not I can keep from getting wheel hop now by adjusting the power in 1st and 2nd.

It's more so that Mr_Dog said "Engine, Tranny & Subfram mount will remove all wheel hop and then some." I thought I was missing something on my car.