GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

MJGTI

I read about the first 500 posts and was ready to pull the trigger but I guess a lot a changed in a few months, so apparently I have some catching up to do on models, sellers, and firmware.

Edit. It looks like this is the one from AliExpress, right?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32815705967.html

Aside from, who can give me the cliff notes, my question is, so any of these keep satellite functionality or will I need to use the Sirius app through carplay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Just wanted to bump this link because I was able to use it to update the firmware on my no-name unit. I also ran into the “Variant Conflict Error”, so I used the 5515 update from the link below and then downgraded to 5314.

https://youtu.be/ge_5Rpp1kg8

I also thought that it'd be helpful to list out the pros and cons since updating my firmware. The cons aren't dealbreakers IMHO.

Pros:
  • Swapped out Baidu CarLife for Android Auto
  • Red accents instead of yellow accents
  • The post-Siri/phone call volume jump seems to be addressed, but I also adjusted the max volume and voice command (I think that's what it's called) levels under Settings > Sound

Cons:
  • No more EQ options to choose from
  • Inconsistent accent color in the Settings menu — some are yellow/orange and some are green

The inconsistent accent colour is deliberate :p

I sat in a 2016 Jetta with the OE NA unit. And it has the colours too. I.e Green is for phone, orange for settings etc

chelseafan95

Sounds like it is currently functioning as a mute button? Mine was set-up like that and I had to use VCDS to switch it over to Siri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What coding did you have to do I VCDS? Mine is also currently functioning as a mute button, but I would much more prefer it to activate Siri.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1616sixx

Hi all

I’m having issues with my camera... 187B Desay model.

Camera has worked perfectly since fitting until the last couple of weeks and I can’t work out if it’s the head unit, camera or delay timer at fault.

My camera image now looks like this:

https://youtu.be/Jcf7aBKr4lI

Black and white image and flashes STOP, it’s also flipped the image so left & right are wrong.

The track lines have also changed completely.

Sometimes the camera will also switch off and say camera not currently available.

Hoping it’s just the camera at fault but wondered if anyone has seen this before?!

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Got my rcd in today and went to install it annnnd.... they shipped me a damaged one. There’s a huge gouge and scratches all above the radio button. I’m trying to do a return though eBay but so far haven’t heard from the seller. Kind of put a damper on this whole project. I’ve heard these shippers in China can be a pain in the ass and try to make me pay for return shipping which is almost more than the unit itself.

Any suggestions? I’ve only bought a couple of things on eBay before and never had anything damaged

kerp

Ready to race!
Got my rcd in today and went to install it annnnd.... they shipped me a damaged one. There’s a huge gouge and scratches all above the radio button. I’m trying to do a return though eBay but so far haven’t heard from the seller. Kind of put a damper on this whole project. I’ve heard these shippers in China can be a pain in the ass and try to make me pay for return shipping which is almost more than the unit itself.

Any suggestions? I’ve only bought a couple of things on eBay before and never had anything damaged

Just file a claim through eBay or PayPal, if the seller isn't reasonable.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Has anyone else had their unit come scratched or gouged? It’s right above the radio button and it’s visible with the trim on. Am I being ocd or am I right to want a new one that’s undamaged? It looks like they scraped it with something taking it out of the car it originally came in.

Putting the RCD330 plus in a base model MK6

I've been lurking in this thread for a long time any its alot to read! So I have some questions.

I have a base model MK6 2012 GTI and I am buying this because of the lack of the drivers package I didn't purchase.

1. Tell me if I am wrong but I have a bluetooth button on the roof in front of the sunglasses holder. Will this functionality disappear?

2. I believe the microphone is up near the sunglasses holder in the grills. Does this head unit not use those and use the microphone on the head unit?

3. With "no MFI" on the dash, is this only the audio section that is disabled or can I no longer make phone calls from the dashboard?

This is a big purchase for me, I want to understand exactly what I am getting into.

FndrStrat06

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Tell me if I am wrong but I have a bluetooth button on the roof in front of the sunglasses holder. Will this functionality disappear?

Yes, it will disappear. The RCD330 has bluetooth built into it, and you will use this connection instead of the one you currently use. The bluetooth screen on the MFD will be rendered useless as well, though you won't need it.

2. I believe the microphone is up near the sunglasses holder in the grills. Does this head unit not use those and use the microphone on the head unit?

The head unit has a microphone built into it, and it'll use that instead of the overhead mic.

3. With "no MFI" on the dash, is this only the audio section that is disabled or can I no longer make phone calls from the dashboard?

The audio section will also lose functionality, though you can still control playback functions with the steering wheel controls. You can still make calls from the dashboard, but you'll solely use the touch screen. Someone can correct me on this, but I believe for 2012 and older you need a canbus adapter to retain steering wheel controls for the head unit.

To me, this head unit is one of those no-brainer upgrades, even with the strange bugs it sometimes has.

Last edited:

Chatchie

Ready to race!
I'm so confused on which unit to buy. If someone could post a link on the proper unit for me via eBay I would much appreciate it. I have a 2010 CC Lux with parking sensors but no back up cam. I don't care about carplay but would like Android auto. Thanks so much.

Brandyberry

Yes I have no idea which one to purchase, I hear "no name" and desay, 187b, different firmwares. Can't find out much in 1 dedicated place. Any help is appreciated.

Yes I have no idea which one to purchase, I hear "no name" and desay, 187b, different firmwares. Can't find out much in 1 dedicated place. Any help is appreciated.

Depends if you guys want Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

My question:

Which one of the head units, 187b or no name can I purchase at a cheap prices and update the firmware to android auto?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Alright so I have the Dessay 6RD 035 187 B unit. Does anybody know if there is a download link yet to change the yellow menu red? I've done some research and found only versions that are for Version A or No Name.