GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe, AWE Hose Kit, and S3 Intercooler Install and Review

Bender1

Banned
Today I had my AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe, AWE Hose Kit, and S3 Intercooler installed.

There has been much debate as to the "more power" side of this install. Does it add more power... honestly I don't know. Frankly, it doesn't matter. There is a CLEAR increase in spool speed and you get power MUCH quicker and even though it was 75 and VERY humid on my way home, my car didn't notice at all.

I have yet to really DRIVE it as the weather has been iffy, but even in traffic its VERY clear that this is a must do mod.

I will be updating this thread over the next couple days, but its a big win as far as I am concerned.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Holy shit man, i'm so excited about this...glad you are happy!

Just waiting for my neuspeed TOP to arrive to install the beast..it should have been here already actually.....

edit: wait so 75 is hot? we are lucky if it gets that cold here in the winter LOL

..it's been around 120 for the day time lately.

Last edited:

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i had my s3 IC and AWE TOP installed on a 90+ degree weather and i didnt encounter any issues at all..the car "feels" smoother as i drove on the way home from the shop about 60 miles away... :thumbsup:

Bender1

Banned
Just was out for another drive - if there isn't more power I am surprised and if I were to be surprised I can say that without a doubt that power is far far more accessible. Absolutely love it.

Also can hear it pulling a bit more which is nice!

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
You think the AWE hoses will fit up to stock S3 TOP? I have the S3 intercooler and top with AWE hoses sitting in my storage, just waiting to be done with finals. Want to know if I have to alter the hoses or the silicone coupling on the TOP before I take my car apart.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
Have my S3 sitting in my office waiting for time to install it. Can't wait! Congrats Bender!

JP

SilverGTIDave

Passed Driver's Ed
You got me excited, mine is sitting in the garage. Just need to feel good enough to get this done. May end up paying someone, backs just not ready for 4hrs of bending over.

Crawfish00

Greaux saints
The awe outlet pipe isn't doing anything special that's for sure. IMO a waste of $.. Now with a bigger turbo upgrade its prob worth it for the extra 3-5 hp you may gain.. the intercooler I totally believe in.. I'm about to order it from ecs.. Glad your happy and congrats on the new mods..

Bender1

Banned
I actually disagree on the TOP not doing anything. From a dynoable (I think I just invited a new word) point of view, perhaps there is no impact. But power is SIGNIFICANTLY more linear and takes an "instant on" quality.

The turbo is clearly flowing better. The temperatures this morning was mid 50s and a bit of rain and the impact was the same as last night. Power is "just there" and "there" earlier than it was before.

Could the intercooler be the only thing involved? Sure. Do I believe that the biggest restriction post turbo was the intercooler? Not when looking at the stock turbo outlet pipe I don't.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
haha 75 isn't hot - it will get to be 90-95 here in the summer BUT it is hot enough for there to be heat soak!

i would imagine, these snails sure need some fresh air to work properly :D

Hey btw are you considering a noise pipe delete?

...still not sure if i should do it along with the IC/TOP install, since it will be in the shop anyway..

A

Alex/AWE

Today I had my AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe, AWE Hose Kit, and S3 Intercooler installed.

There has been much debate as to the "more power" side of this install. Does it add more power... honestly I don't know. Frankly, it doesn't matter. There is a CLEAR increase in spool speed and you get power MUCH quicker and even though it was 75 and VERY humid on my way home, my car didn't notice at all.

I have yet to really DRIVE it as the weather has been iffy, but even in traffic its VERY clear that this is a must do mod.

I will be updating this thread over the next couple days, but its a big win as far as I am concerned.

Glad you're happy with the new parts Paul! It's always a pleasure having you here. :thumbsup:

You think the AWE hoses will fit up to stock S3 TOP? I have the S3 intercooler and top with AWE hoses sitting in my storage, just waiting to be done with finals. Want to know if I have to alter the hoses or the silicone coupling on the TOP before I take my car apart.

An OE S3 TOP? It's hard to say since we've never tested with that piece. Assuming the coupler is the same and in the same spot, our hoses should work for it.

Can I ask why you went with the OE S3 TOP over an aftermarket TSI TOP?

The awe outlet pipe isn't doing anything special that's for sure. IMO a waste of $.. Now with a bigger turbo upgrade its prob worth it for the extra 3-5 hp you may gain.. the intercooler I totally believe in.. I'm about to order it from ecs.. Glad your happy and congrats on the new mods..

Have you ever driven in a car with an upgraded TOP? Not trying to question, just curious really. If not, maybe a local forum member would be willing to let you take a spin in their car.

It's a great mod, especially considering the price. It won't dramatically increase your dyno numbers but it will improve turbo response and spool, making normal driving more enjoyable. All of our clients that have tried it, love it.