GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 05-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #71
MK6CarbonGTI
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Silver Mitsu Ralliart
This is what really matters. Which car has a better build quality? GTi! Next, for $500 which car will give you the more HP and TQ gains? AGAIN GTI!
MK6CarbonGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #72
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randum View Post
Interesting insight....cept aggressive FWD drivers....my GTI is FWD!!!!
I should have worded my statement a little more precisely. My beef isn't with aggressive FWD drivers, or FWD cars that are capable of being driven aggressively. I'm sometimes guilty of the former, and my car is always guilty of the latter.

My beef is with current Japanese styling. With the notable exception of Mazda (and I know I'm probably in the minority re: the smiley-scoop) every single Japanese make's styling is aggressive, belligerent, and intimidating (in an unnecessary, comical sense.)

It's one thing to have a RX-8 or a Challenger SRT look angular and menacing. But does a Prius or a Fit really need to be styled after Akira's motorcycle?

Grambles, again, no disrespect, I gotta ask, what the hell is up with Acura's beak? Y'all might as well graft a chrome middle finger on the grill. Few driving experiences are more obnoxious than being stuck in a train of traffic and have some middle-manager stuck to your ass with his Acura katana 7 inches from your back bumper.

Now, I know that there is no accounting for taste. I just prefer cars to look feminine, elegant, and tasteful.

Look at the Pinifarina and Italian designs; it doesn't matter if they rolled off the assembly in 1930 or 2011, they are gorgeous and evocative.

The MkVI shape is very handsome, with clean lines and curves, and will most certainly age as tastefully as the MkI-MkV forebears. They dialectically melt into the crowd, as well as stand out.

To be fair, the pre-2000 Hondas (apart from the cray-pas they used for paint in the mid-to-late nineties) have this same quality. In fact, one design aspect of the MkV and MkVI that drew me in is just how closely the lines and proportions resembled the Gen5 Civic hatch. That car, in my opinion, is the best engineered & designed small FWD car ever built.

In the end, that is what grinds my gears, and breaks my heart, about the "H". How can a company go from this:

to this:

The former is utility and grace, with a hint of performance. The latter is the Family Truckster meets Pontiac Aztek meets something circling Thunderdome.
Cackalacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #73
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post
Grambles, again, no disrespect, I gotta ask, what the hell is up with Acura's beak? Y'all might as well graft a chrome middle finger on the grill. Few driving experiences are more obnoxious than being stuck in a train of traffic and have some middle-manager stuck to your ass with his Acura katana 7 inches from your back bumper.

I've said it before, I am in no way responsible for the overall look of the car. Those are the designers. We dictate how it'll be built in plants across the globe.

Opinions are opinions. You're going to think what you want.
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #74
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to put you on the spot.

Again, there is no accounting for taste. My opinion may (or may not) be valid... but it is a common one.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #75
grambles423
Limited Activity

Quote:
My opinion may (or may not) be valid... but it is a common one.
And Honda knows..trust me. Its just gonna take some time

Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #76
MK6moneyGANG
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6, gti, shadow blue, dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkallis View Post
then im correct and the SI can S M D
X2 mines too .
PROJECT SONIC http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24664SHADOW BLUE DSG [SUN ROOF & NAVI] [40%/25 %TINT] [VMR VB3'S 18'S] [fK SILVER LINE COILS][MAGNAFLOW CBE] [YELLO LAMIN X FOGS][COLOR MATCHED SIDE AND REAR MARKERS][JL W7 SUB][OEM FRONT LIP ][10MM REAR SPACERS][APR stage1][APR CARBONIO STAGE 1][SPM CATLESS DP][REV D DIVERTER VALVE][ED LED TAILS]
MK6moneyGANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #77
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
And Honda knows..trust me. Its just gonna take some time
Excellent. I know with the 5 (cough six-for-derivative-newest-generation cough) year production cycles that B/C requires long-term/patience, etc. Even though I'm a dubber now, I'm hoping that the folks at the end of your hall bring the magic back.

Judging by your sig, it looks like you've bounced around some manufacturers. In your current digs, to you get any flak from the fart-can set?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #78
Candy11
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2k11 DSG GTI Candy white
well i have owned prolly 10 hondas in my life. 2 vws (the first one a jetta III gls junk....) Anyway i condsidered waiting for a '12 Si till i realized its no better then a 06 Si. Honda's just keep getting uglier. And the new Si is 22k. wtf an 06 was 19,860? The Gti is hands down a better deal. It may not be as realiable but who keeps them after warranty anyway? Honda has forgotten that they made a motor called the k20a..... to bad for
North American buyers. Honda has always made awesome cars in NA but never gave us the motor we wanted from the factory.
Candy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #79
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy11 View Post
well i have owned prolly 10 hondas in my life. 2 vws (the first one a jetta III gls junk....) Anyway i condsidered waiting for a '12 Si till i realized its no better then a 06 Si. Honda's just keep getting uglier. And the new Si is 22k. wtf an 06 was 19,860? The Gti is hands down a better deal. It may not be as realiable but who keeps them after warranty anyway? Honda has forgotten that they made a motor called the k20a..... to bad for
North American buyers. Honda has always made awesome cars in NA but never gave us the motor we wanted from the factory.
Agree,Honda made quite cool cars before for N.A with the wrong engine,these days they are drawn trying to lead on the market with the wrong performance product or underestimating us as customers..
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/20/2...ial-fuel-leak/
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #80
grambles423
Limited Activity

Quote:
Judging by your sig, it looks like you've bounced around some manufacturers. In your current digs, to you get any flak from the fart-can set?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Care to rephrase?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #81
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grambles423 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Care to rephrase?
I've read stories that UAW workers don't particularly care for imports parking in their halls up in Michigan, as well as BMW putting fliers on employee cars that park non-beemers in the manufacturing facilities.

Given that the Si aspires to be GTI's rival, I was wondering if that translated to any potential flak your colleagues might throw at you when you roll into work?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #82
grambles423
Limited Activity

Quote:
I've read stories that UAW workers don't particularly care for imports parking in their halls up in Michigan, as well as BMW putting fliers on employee cars that park non-beemers in the manufacturing facilities.

Given that the Si aspires to be GTI's rival, I was wondering if that translated to any potential flak your colleagues might throw at you when you roll into work?
No Flak at all. Theres a good variety of cars in our lot. Including another White MK6 and a grey MK5. Plus we're not plagued with UAW barking up our halls, so thats a plus.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #83
Candy11
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2k11 DSG GTI Candy white
Talking

your mk6 is more "union" made then most current GMs. Just not through the UAW. The same can be said for most current Toyotas but the yotas are UAW made.
Candy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #84
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy11 View Post
your mk6 is more "union" made then most current GMs. Just not through the UAW. The same can be said for most current Toyotas but the yotas are UAW made.
I should qualify, I'm pro-union, and generally pro-UAW, just anti-stupid tribalism.