GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #85
ADoc1980
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 4-Door GTI - DSG w/SR - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
i can imagine. best of luck, buddy. Let us know what they find, as a lot of us might end up in the same boat.
Will do, I'll be there bright and early, just how I wanted to spend my Saturday
ADoc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #86
djax
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door
any updates, progress?

guys, i'm glad i found this thread. i just purchased my '11 GTI two weeks ago and experienced the stalling issue 4 times so far. has anybody spoken to VW (besides sethmark) and heard any news about this issue?
djax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #87
ADoc1980
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 4-Door GTI - DSG w/SR - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by djax View Post
guys, i'm glad i found this thread. i just purchased my '11 GTI two weeks ago and experienced the stalling issue 4 times so far. has anybody spoken to VW (besides sethmark) and heard any news about this issue?
So I took mine in and they said I had some codes (not sure what that even means) that they couldn't clear out and they couldn't do anything for me. They told me they had seen it once before, but that guy's codes cleared and he stopped having the problem. That was a week ago and I haven't had the stalling issue happen again.

Two things. First, I am now on my 3rd tank of gas after the tank the dealer put in it for me when I got it. Second, I have found that making sure I am on the brake and stay on the brake through the initial start up seems to help. No idea if there is anything to any of that, but thought I'd share.
ADoc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #88
XPorscheGuy
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI
We have experienced a possibly related problem. Only a couple of times though, not with regularity. What happens is that when starting from rest the engine seems to be disconnected from the pedal, i.e. when you go to start off nothing happens. Sort of like used to happen in the days of carburetors when the engine was heat soaked (some engines). A little disconcerting. It seems to happen when on an upgrade mostly.
XPorscheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #89
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
So far since I switched over to Chevron from Shell I have had no issues.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #90
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
it's been here and there for me. Seems like the further I get away from the tank the dealer gave me, the better. It's had a few rough starts, but nothing that stalled out and died like before. I've been getting in the giving the fuel pump time to prep as it automatically does when you unlock and open the driver-side door. However, I've been cycling the ignition a few times, and then turning it over without issue.

Few times I'll just turn it over and maybe 1 out of every 5 times it'll feel a little rough.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #91
crashdb
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Soundaktor!!
I'm having the same problem with mine. It doesn't happen often so I haven't really cared. I talked to SethMark this weekend about this while I was buying his R-Line grille. My car is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for its 90-day. I'll mention it and see what they say.
crashdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #92
djax
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW-TX View Post
So far since I switched over to Chevron from Shell I have had no issues.
hm, while the verdict is still not out yet, i happened to stall three times using sunoco 93 and haven't stalled using shell v-power 93. shrug.
djax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #93
schwarzerGTI11
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 Vw GTI
I have had it happen about 4 times and I have a manual
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #94
Fleron230
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Audi
I have a little over 2000 miles and have not had this problem. I've always used 93 octane fuel.
Fleron230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #95
bimmerpwr
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 11 VW GTI (DSG), 11 BMW X3 35i
There is a particular setting that seems to trigger this more than others from my experience.

AC on on max. Fan on speed 1 or 2.
Drive for about 5-10 minutes. Turn off the car with AC settings as above. Park for 5-10 minutes. Then start the car, and it seems to trigger it more often than not. I have close to 3000 miles and use BP93. Second time with BP.

Citco93 seemed to trigger it more than BP93, almost always dead on to the point where I had to make sure AC was off before starting.

It seems almost as if the car doesn't know AC is on and does not kick its RPM higher to make sure the motor can sustain the increased load. It doesn't bother me as much as creaking noises that local VW dealer doesn't seem to hear. My very first VW, loved the car, but I now understand why it's a second rate german brand, no offense.
bimmerpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #96
K3RMIT
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG - 4 Door - Deep Black
I've had my GTI for just under one month, and this stalling issue has already happened to me between 15 and 25 times. I was never stranded, and all it takes is a slight tap on the gas to bring the RPMs back up, so I wasn't too worried, especially with all the other people having the same problem. I was just concerned because it was happening to me much more often than anyone else. After I got the rear nozzle drip, I decided to make an appt at the dealer. Well, of course, then it stopped happening. The drip stopped (I'll probably never use it again, lol), and the engine sputtering (I won't let it stall anymore) has only happened once or twice over the last week. It used to happen once or twice a day, sometimes more. I'm about to put the fourth overall tank of gas in the car, and I'm confident that the problem will work its way out, and not be an issue over time. I also want to add that this problem happened to me with the a/c on AND off, on hot AND cool days, and on hot AND cold starts, so I'm not sure that any variables are guaranteed to recreate the problem (for me). This car is so awesome, the last thing that I want to do is leave it at the dealer for even a day. I will definitely reconsider if the problem persists.
K3RMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #97
lamb110
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Your mom
I've had my car start up and stall on me once. Since then I've had a few rough starts, where it will hover around 500-600rpm until I give it a blip of throttle and it smooths out to the normal cold start of around 1k. I've got a completely base model 6MT GTI. I'm also APR Stage 2.
lamb110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #98
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
bump, did we ever get any word on what might be causing this? It's been happening every time I start the car today.