GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #99
sethmark
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 11. Black.
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 58
Here's what I found out. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Ask them to contact the tech helpline. They should update your ECU to software revision 40. That's SUPPOSED to be the fix.

I can't confirm that it works, only that its supposed to.
sethmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #100
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion
 
VW-TX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,818
It came back again on mine with Chevron. So not sure what the dealy is.
__________________
2015 Chevrolet SS Sedan, Heron White, A6, w/roof and spare
SOLD: 2015 Golf R, DSG, Lapiz Blue, DCC and NAV.
VW-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #101
Kast
Go Kart Newbie
 
Kast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 25
Picked my car up two weeks ago and it has stalled twice now during startup. Spoke to the technician manager at my dealership and mentioned to him that I've read about others (referring to others on this forum) that have had the exact same issue. He said, he never heard of it and that it must be uncommon. We made an appointment to have it diagnosed this weekend.

Hopefully all of us have this resolved. As much as it is annoying and has us worried . I'm almost certain it isn't anything serious and will be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
Here's what I found out. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Ask them to contact the tech helpline. They should update your ECU to software revision 40. That's SUPPOSED to be the fix.

I can't confirm that it works, only that its supposed to.
Thank you for sharing this Seth. I'll definitely bring this too my techs attention.

Last edited by Kast; 09-19-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Kast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #102
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion
 
ElectricEye's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,334
I notice that quite a few people mentining this start up issue have very few posts and just got their car.
I've got to suspect that a decent portion of these start up issues may be due to new owners not keeping their foot on the brake through the entire start.
__________________
"The right car for our times. Hell it's the right car for any time."
"What the world really needs now is not cars that are fast, but cars that are practical , fuel efficient, and fast." - The GTI is all of this and more: Automobile Magazine
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #103
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I notice that quite a few people mentining this start up issue have very few posts and just got their car.
I've got to suspect that a decent portion of these start up issues may be due to new owners not keeping their foot on the brake through the entire start.
yeah... no. This does nothing, nor has any effect at all on the frequency of these poor cranks/stalling issues.

I don't think updating the ECU would resolve this. I see this as being more of a hardware issue, such as faulty injectors, etc. Even if I rotate the key a few times to prime the fuel pump, I still get a rough start.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #104
djax
Touring Car Champion
 
djax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colmar, PA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
yeah... no. This does nothing, nor has any effect at all on the frequency of these poor cranks/stalling issues.

I don't think updating the ECU would resolve this. I see this as being more of a hardware issue, such as faulty injectors, etc. Even if I rotate the key a few times to prime the fuel pump, I still get a rough start.
Agree, after 2800 miles, I experienced another episode of stalling just a week ago. At this point, it's difficult to find out what the cause is, even correlations to the issue. I have an appointment this Wednesday with my dealership to sort this problem out (this and the MDI update plus the wastegate rattle).
djax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #105
Shieze
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 5DR DSG CSM 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 17
My stalling issues went away after I had some miles on the car.
Shieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #106
inc55
FIA GT Champion
 
inc55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn 4-Door
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,197
I'm a new owner with about 1000 miles and mine stalls from time to time. My foot is hard on the brake and I have the kessey system. Really annoying and seems to occur on cooler evenings.
__________________
SOLD 2011 GTI 2dr Tornado Red DSG Autobahn | Euro Cup Holder | Rear-View Camera | Auto-Dimming Mirror | ECS Blue Tinted Mirrors
inc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #107
djax
Touring Car Champion
 
djax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colmar, PA
Posts: 238
So a couple of minor updates on my "stalling":

1.) Took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago, described the problem, told them about sethmark's suggestion of a software revision. Received a blank stare from the guy. Told me this is a first for him. They did a diagnostic test on the car and found nothing. Left the place with no "software update" or what have you.

2.) I'm already nearing 4000 miles on my car. Last time I recall experiencing a stall was around 2800-3000 miles. No stalling since then. A couple times at ignition the car does rev at a lower rpm, but there's no stalling afterwards.

So in conclusion, I'm knocking on wood and hoping that the stalling is now behind me (With my luck, I'll probably stall tonight after posting this).
djax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #108
crashdb
Formula 5000 Driver
 
crashdb's Avatar
 
Drives: Soundaktor!!
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,959
Mine hadn't done it in a while either and it came back the other night. I'll try to get the software revision when I go in for my 10k mile service. My service writer typically listens to me. I'll post what happens. I have about 1500 miles to go.
crashdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #109
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,635
I get the poor start up with shitty RPMs, and bogged cranking, but no stalling since. I might swap around my coilpacks, and change out the plugs, see if that does anything. Next step after that is inspecting/changing out the injectors.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #110
x_paradoxal_x
Touring Car Champion
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: OR
Posts: 256
Had this happen to me 3 times on the same day, then once the other day. Happened on 20-Sept 3 times, I was at 3900 miles on the clock. All were when I had the car cooling down after driving it. (for example, drove to the store, then had to run out 2 hours later.) I would start it back up, it would got to about 500 rpm, then die. The second time I would start it, it started up no problem. I've had this happen 4 times in total, and only under these circumstances. I'm manual by the way.

I took it to the dealer and they said the ECU was fine, and didn't see any issues or reported issues on the ECU (or something along those lines). He said it could be bad fuel, or the fact that the 10% ethanol could be messing with the engine. He was telling me that they "have had a lot of problems with the ethanol content in fuel and TSI engines." My full service isn't until my 1 year in December, so they said to check back with them if it persists, otherwise they'd check up on it in December.

When I start it up, I'll give it a little throttle just to make sure. Is that okay to do??
x_paradoxal_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #111
djax
Touring Car Champion
 
djax's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colmar, PA
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_paradoxal_x View Post
Had this happen to me 3 times on the same day, then once the other day. Happened on 20-Sept 3 times, I was at 3900 miles on the clock. All were when I had the car cooling down after driving it. (for example, drove to the store, then had to run out 2 hours later.) I would start it back up, it would got to about 500 rpm, then die. The second time I would start it, it started up no problem. I've had this happen 4 times in total, and only under these circumstances. I'm manual by the way.

I took it to the dealer and they said the ECU was fine, and didn't see any issues or reported issues on the ECU (or something along those lines). He said it could be bad fuel, or the fact that the 10% ethanol could be messing with the engine. He was telling me that they "have had a lot of problems with the ethanol content in fuel and TSI engines." My full service isn't until my 1 year in December, so they said to check back with them if it persists, otherwise they'd check up on it in December.

When I start it up, I'll give it a little throttle just to make sure. Is that okay to do??
That's what I do. When I have a feeling or anticipating a possible stall, I give it some throttle and all is good. I know a few other guys on the forum that do the same thing. This is anecdotal, not technical per se, but you aren't alone in doing that.
djax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #112
ikerumba
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2011 GTI AUTOBAHN Charcoal Grey DSG
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
My car has not stalled once in the last two months (It was stalling about once a day previously) The only difference is that I consistently been filling the car with 93 octane gas from same local HEB grocery chain here in Texas. Previously I was using Shell 93, Exxon 91 and Costco 91. I am currently at around 5000 miles. I used to get around 21.6 mpg, but recently its been 23.5 even without any long trips nor change in driving habits.
ikerumba is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.