GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #57
thomas3322

Drives: 2009 WRX and 2010 MkVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendogg840 View Post
I dislike the look of the 2011 WRX, it looks ridiculous to me. There are no power improvements just extra crap on the outside of the car...when I saw the 2011, I made my decision to buy the 2010 model. Still love my GTI for all around driving though.
your complaining about power improvements on the 2011 wrx? If you want more power just buy an sti.

On the side note. I own a 2009 wrx and just bought a 2010 gti for my girlfriend (She wanted automatic). Both a great cars. Each car has pros and cons. But in terms on modding ive only worked on my rex. It costed me 599$ to buy a cobb tunner and bump up my car 30% hp gains. Im looking into mods for the mk6 however im afraid of torque steer since its my gf driving it....

Last edited by thomas3322; 04-09-2010 at 10:50 AM.
thomas3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #58
rendogg840

Drives: 2010 GTI and 2010 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3322 View Post
your complaining about power improvements on the 2011 wrx? If you want more power just buy an sti.

On the side note. I own a 2009 wrx and just bought a 2010 gti for my girlfriend (She wanted automatic). Both a great cars. Each car has pros and cons. But in terms on modding ive only worked on my rex. It costed me 599$ to buy a cobb tunner and bump up my car 30% hp gains. Im looking into mods for the mk6 however im afraid of torque steer since its my gf driving it....
It looks like we are in about the same spot car wise, both having a modded WRX and a stock GTI in our garages...anyways it's not that I am complaining about power improvements in the WRX, as much that it is nice to have a powerful car that is under the radar so to speak. If they are going to make it look like an sti, they might as well do away with the wrx because the not so bold styling is what I like about it. I like the fact that cops do not see my rex and think "oh man there is an easy ticket." I am in the same situation but the GTI I bought my girlfriend has the 6-speed. I don't really want to mod the thing because I am afraid that she will crash it.
rendogg840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #59
Boo
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
I was weeks away from ordering my GTI when the '11 WRX was revealed at the NYC auto show. I've always loved the WRX but couldn't stand the blandness of the current model. But I do love the wide body look of the STi, so when they announced the 2011 WRX would be getting the look as well, I was more than a bit excited.

My buddy has an STi I've driven and enjoyed, but I had never driven the stock WRX. So I test drove a used '09 WRX to get a feel for them. THe 2011 and 2009/2010 models are mechanically the same, so I felt it would be a good gauge.

Long story short, I'm sticking with the GTI. The WRX is blazingly fast, but it is not a very fun car to drive, IMO. The power delivery is on/off. Dead below 3,000 RPM's, and then insanely fast above. Not smooth at all. I also hated the clutch and didn't care for the shifter.

To me the WRX is an econo car that feels like an econo car with a ferocious engine and a decent suspension. The GTI is a car that feels complete, well rounded, and one that is well balanced. It doesn't do any one thing the best- but it does everything extremely well.

My 2 cents.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote