GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #99
TAZZ
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 .:R, DSG 2Doors
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR View Post
Are you trading in the Evo X? I'm sure the interior is nicer in the R with exception to the seats. But overall performance is down on the R...
In real driving conditions stock to stock the difference is not that noticeable, really. Plus drop in 500$ on a stg 1 tune on the R and u have a German-faster evox with the better quality and interior. That's a good trade anyway u take it
DM Custom 2+ / Upsolute DSG Reflash / Autotech HPFP / RS4 HPRV / Scorpion Catless Resonated TBE / APR Carbonio / GFB DV+ / CTS TOP / CTS TBP / HG Pulley / Sprintbooster / HPA Haldex Competition Controller / Alcon Advantage Extreme BBK / FONDMETAL 9RR Wheels
336 awhp / 357 awtq - Build
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #100
MBorVW
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2015 VW GTI 4dr SE DSG
Well both R's in kc area sold!!! Guess I'm wrong, people in the Midwest will spend that much. Was looking forward to seeing one tomorrow. Guess I'll wait awhile to see one in person.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #101
ToddMcF2002
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: CSG 4-Door .:R
They really aren't that much for what you are getting. If you look at the package and stop thinking "Golf" you'll see the value - german quality/lux and high performance package. Its more or less an S3, which of course you can't have. But just for giggles go ahead and try to configure an A3 and see how far you get before exceeding the R MSRP. And of course you are left with a girly automatic

These cars are going to sell.
ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #102
337RSR
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Rising Blue 4 dr R
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabo View Post
Don't buy a car that you don't think it's worth it, i.e. I would never buy a SRT-4 Neon, it's fast but not what I see in a car. If going fast is the ONLY requirement, then half the people on here wouldn't buy their GTI's, GLI's, etc ... yes, the R has a higher price point, but this is the cheapest world market you can get the R for ... Even at $36800 (4 door loaded with delivery) it's still a bargain ...

Anywho ... please, go out and DRIVE one and then give us your feedback .. don't forum troll and do math comparisons of something you HAVEN'T driven ...

PS: AWD > FWD any day of the week, esp in Minnesnowta.
Just imagine up here in Canada. AWD is a must in backroad winter driving...
Funny the R is due only AFTER winter (mine is scheduled for first week of april and I can't wait).
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #103
noggin

Drives: Mk6 R - coming soon.
New UK member here! Where an R costs 54k usd and gas is ten bucks a gallon!

I've been running a Mk4 R32 for year and have just ordered an R.
I love the R32 but she's getting older and it's time for a change. I test drove a Euro spec R which has DSG and Adaptive Chassis Control - it was these two features that really made a difference and swung it for me. Deposit down!
Am I right that you guys don't get these on US spec?

The R can tear up the tarmac like the R32 but be comfortable and refined when you need it. It's not as fast as some sporty offerings for the same price but as a hatchback I say it's the best one available today. Even the best hatchback ever!!
noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #104
Elmexicano
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: RB Golf .:R
Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
New UK member here! Where an R costs 54k usd and gas is ten bucks a gallon!

I've been running a Mk4 R32 for year and have just ordered an R.
I love the R32 but she's getting older and it's time for a change. I test drove a Euro spec R which has DSG and Adaptive Chassis Control - it was these two features that really made a difference and swung it for me. Deposit down!
Am I right that you guys don't get these on US spec?

The R can tear up the tarmac like the R32 but be comfortable and refined when you need it. It's not as fast as some sporty offerings for the same price but as a hatchback I say it's the best one available today. Even the best hatchback ever!!
Yeah we do not get either of those options here in the States... Please get the Recaro seats in our Honor!!! haha
Elmexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #105
noggin

Drives: Mk6 R - coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmexicano View Post
Yeah we do not get either of those options here in the States... Please get the Recaro seats in our Honor!!! haha
No dsg -that's crazy!
recaros = 5000 bucks!!
noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #106
jkm7385
Ready to race!

Drives: '12 CW 2DR GTI
Send a message via AIM to jkm7385
Not really sure why you're saying GTI owners are jealous...I don't have an R or GTI (gf does) and it's kinda like my project car but I'm looking at an R purchase!

It's def 100% expensive for what it is but that's because we're not used to it. Is it worth it..YES and NO! One of the things no one has mentioned is why leather seats are mandatory, I wish base had euro R cloth seats!
jkm7385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #107
pdxa4
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf-R, former Audi D2 S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm7385 View Post
One of the things no one has mentioned is why leather seats are mandatory, I wish base had euro R cloth seats!
It is most likely to do with crash testing perhaps, I'm not 100% on how VW are bringing in the Golf-R with the feds, but I do know that cars with different interior trims also have to be crash tested separately.

On top of that having less options leaves it easier for VW to support this low volume model.

Personally I'm just happy that we have it here...Getting a car with AWD, Turbo engine, manual transmission, in a hatchback body, with a quality german interior is becoming almost impossible...
B5 A4 1.8TQM Santorin Blue J31-K04 Beauty
B5.5 Passat TDi, Euro model...
pdxa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #108
337RSR
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Rising Blue 4 dr R
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Which one of those is a 4 door hatchback (probably what many who bought an R wanted)??

New vs used cars (matters to some of us)??

Pretty sure most of us who have purchased this vehicle know what we wanted and paid to get it because it was worth it to us....

I love mine
I for one wants both a hatch and a manual so no brainer for me....
You guys in US should be very happy to get the deal you got.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #109
Gard-GR2012
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf R /4d RB
Had a chance to drive the Golf R about a month ago... It was a great experience. The car is very balance, very quick, extremely fun and engaging. As an overall package it is worth the asking price. Going back to my 08 GTI make me notice how different both cars are. Can't wait drive away in the Uber R this coming May.
Gard-GR2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #110
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Countryman AWD Turbo was in one of the car mags, as tested price of like $36K and only 198hp.... definitely shows that the R is the much better vehicle against the mini being a more similar competition (also german, sharp handling, build quality, better mpg, etc) than the Japanese cars.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote