GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #267
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2010 Penalty Box
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Negative comments? That's all this forum is. Its too bad GTI owner don't spend more time in the ... I don't know... GTI Forum?
This entire subforum consists of two threads...?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #268
randy915
Touring Car Champion

Drives: MKVI GTI
The R should be a beast after some APR mods but as a stock vehicle it's pretty much a really expensive stage 1 GTI w/ aftermarket suspension - I'm pretty sure they'll lap the same times in most tracks.

But I'm glad I didn't wait for this R. I'm much happier having owned the MK6 GTI for nearly 2 years now and rather wait for the MK7 R to replace the GTI as my DD in about 4 years.
randy915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #269
schwabo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf
please feel bad for me and my golf R ... I'm crying every day I go to work as to what ELSE I could have bought with that money ...

If you have doubts, please go test drive one ... after that report if it's worth the extra $$.

Until then, you're trollin' ..
schwabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #270
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy915 View Post
The R should be a beast after some APR mods but as a stock vehicle it's pretty much a really expensive stage 1 GTI w/ aftermarket suspension - I'm pretty sure they'll lap the same times in most tracks.

But I'm glad I didn't wait for this R. I'm much happier having owned the MK6 GTI for nearly 2 years now and rather wait for the MK7 R to replace the GTI as my DD in about 4 years.
Bit more interested in the next gen cars after hearing the base s3 hatch is only ~2600 lbs. That seems ridiculously light compared to the current gen. If they don't fuck the engines up too bad both might be worth a look.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #271
BSHGOLFR
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GOLF R 4 door fully loaded
^ agreed. I had a mkv gti stg 2 plus/w water meth. Now i have a golf R. Did my mkv pull harder yes, but i raced my buddy in a stage 2 plus apr/w diff and pulled on him instanly. All my R has is an intake. People will say that the R is a glorified GTI but i can say that the R is a great value when you break it down. Throw 2 grand into an R have over 300 horse and toque to the wheels. lets see a GTI do that
BSHGOLFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #272
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGOLFR View Post
^ agreed. I had a mkv gti stg 2 plus/w water meth. Now i have a golf R. Did my mkv pull harder yes, but i raced my buddy in a stage 2 plus apr/w diff and pulled on him instanly. All my R has is an intake. People will say that the R is a glorified GTI but i can say that the R is a great value when you break it down. Throw 2 grand into an R have over 300 horse and toque to the wheels. lets see a GTI do that
There won't be nearly as many jabs taken at the R (especially from myself) once the BT kits get revised. Can't imagine they won't. Doubt many tts get moved over here. Now that there is a bigger market for that engine some more impressive "high hp" stuff should get released(whatever that picture APR posted a while ago with a fsi using the tsi fueling system...something like that). There have been several impressive builds using the engine, but they are all out of the country / one offs regular guys will never see.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #273
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
its weird the R has gotten such mixed reviews and everything when the R32 is so beloved and missed..
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #274
veedoubleme
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2014 MB C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
its weird the R has gotten such mixed reviews and everything when the R32 is so beloved and missed..
R32 is beloved and missed now, but it was getting mixed reviews as well. Lots of bitching about 2 doors, no DSG, it being heavy, price, and other stuff. After a while it got old and people started appreciating it for what it is. Give it time, same thing will happen to the R. The R is a badass car, but you can't make a car to please everybody. It's still new, so everybody has to debate it out.

I was on the list for one, and if I didn't get an Autobahn for exactly $10k less than the R I was waiting for, I would probably be driving one now.
veedoubleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #275
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
R32 was loved by the owners and enthusiasts "only" - no MT option, no 4dr option in the US, but the rest of the world had those options. It was priced high for the competition - there are some similiarities this time around as well, but I feel its already selling better (last one didnt) and having the turbo and 4dr availability is also very nice. But yes, overall the MKV R32 wasnt really loved by everyone either.... this one should do better.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #276
GTITX

Drives: 2011 CW GTI - APR Stg 1
I was checking out the R32 that didn't have the MT option years ago when shopping for a new car (didn't go VW), and I remember everyone bitching that it was only DSG and the million and one other things wrong with it. Funny thing is, when I was shopping that time, I would have gone R32 if there was a MT option, and this time around, I would have bought the R had it had a DSG option. Funny how a wife and a kid changes everything If only I could live my life in reverse, I would be in VW heaven.
GTITX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #277
ToddMcF2002
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: CSG 4-Door .:R
Good point about the R32. In case anyone cares - the Evo X was hated on release and the forums were a flame zone. Slower than the STi and too heavy. The IX was better. The VIII was better. A year later and lots of mods and it became a hero car.
ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #278
Candy Coated Comet VW

Drives: Rising Blue 2dr Golf R
Send a message via Yahoo to Candy Coated Comet VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Good point about the R32. In case anyone cares - the Evo X was hated on release and the forums were a flame zone. Slower than the STi and too heavy. The IX was better. The VIII was better. A year later and lots of mods and it became a hero car.
^That's all it takes parts are out there for the R. The STI hatch got shit on and now I see more of them then sedan.

Blue Beast