GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #81
GunKata
In4updates

Drives: 11 GTI Autobahn 6MT UG Stg2 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
So I am now thinking that the Boxster upgrade makes more sense because a cheap rear brake upgrade is all but non-existant for these cars.
just do slotted rotors and upgrade the pads in the rear, along with ss lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon
Don't be insecure, gurl. Own those brotiforms. Work that dubstep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plac
I came back last time to experience gunkata again.
Need remote help buying a car?
Chicago Car Network

Dat '11 A3 Quattro DSG APR K04 build thread, doe.
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #82
GP813
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 CW 4dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew219 View Post
It all depends on what size pistons they chose for the application.
Yeah i figured as much, could it be a progressive size just like the 6 pot porsche upgrade? Guess id have to call VWR or APR to find out
|APR K04 | APR FMIC | APR TBE | APR Carbonio stg1+2 | Neuspeed TOP + TBP | Eurocode Rotamass pulley | APR Boost Tap| VWR Subframe Mount| VWR Streetsport+ Coilovers V2.0 | H&R 24mm/22mm swaybars | Neuspeed rear end links | ST 328mm w/ Motul RBF660 | Neuspeed SS lines | Unibrace XB+UB+RB | P3 Gauge | Daily: 18" BBS CO Matte Black w/ Hankook RS3 | Track: 17" Neuspeed RSE05 Red w/ BFG Rivals & ST SR33 Race Pads|
GP813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #83
Deaks2
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
just do slotted rotors and upgrade the pads in the rear, along with ss lines.
Yeah.

However, I remember seeing either on this forum or on MkV a profile photo of a VWR prepped car and it had the 6-pot brakes up front but stock GTI brakes in the rear. If I recall it was a spec series in Germany and all the cars were configured like this...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #84
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: .
I'm pretty sure our handy dandy fancy ABS computer modulates and handles bias dynamically...
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #85
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaks2 View Post
VWR prepped car and it had the 6-pot brakes up front but stock GTI brakes in the rear. If I recall it was a spec series in Germany and all the cars were configured like this...

A "spec" car likely has all kinds of custom stuff going on to make that work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
I'm pretty sure our handy dandy fancy ABS computer modulates and handles bias dynamically...
No..Bias is controlled by hydraulics and line pressures matched to the front and rear braking capabilities..You could have your front brakes locking and triggering ABS if they overpower the car, while still having the rears rolling along merrily if things aren't matched well. It's all covered in the Cayenne conversion threads.. Dynamically the car would be touchy.
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #86
staynhome29
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI 6spd
Send a message via AIM to staynhome29
Quote:
I don't think the ecu does that in our car.

Typically in fwd, whether you have bbk or not, the brake balancing is determined mainly by pad compound. Typically in a nose heavy fwd car, you want a more aggressive pad in front and slightly less in rear. Also you need proper tires to handle the increased braking torque or your brakes will overpower the car.

Excellent set up is Carbotech XP10 (F) and Carbotech XP8 (R). Works will with R Comps as well as Starspecs, AD08, RS3, RE11 or the likes.

Having a BBK doesn't make you brake harder. That is a myth. What it does is it gives you a larger 2 piece rotor for better heat dissipation and a stiffer caliper for consistent stiff pedal feel. Also it reduces unsprung mass of your brake system by upwards of 15 lbs a corner which is a huge amount of unsprung weight. If you want to know what 15 lbs a corner feels like, compare your stock detroits to a lightweight OZ/Enkei/Volk/BBS wheel.

BBK to cure fade.
Pads to stop your car faster
Tires to make it all come together.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #87
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI 3 Door w/DSG, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
No..Bias is controlled by hydraulics and line pressures matched to the front and rear braking capabilities..You could have your front brakes locking and triggering ABS if they overpower the car, while still having the rears rolling along merrily if things aren't matched well. It's all covered in the Cayenne conversion threads.. Dynamically the car would be touchy.
http://www.modified.com/projectcars/...c/viewall.html

Halfway down the page...

EBD will proportion the line pressure to each caliper based on the available stopping power though....

Reining the thread back a bit though, OP still need to make sure he actually have a properly working system as is before he jump to any upgrade to cure his "fade".
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #88
Modshack
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: '13 Beetle TDi Conv., '14 C7 Chebby
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

EBD will proportion the line pressure to each caliper based on the available stopping power though....

Yeah...EBD likely throws some new wrinkles into the equation...
Modshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #89
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Mk.V GTI
Send a message via AIM to the bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
OP - bleed your brakes. You have air in your lines.

First repair faults before you start modding !!

BBS, Ferodo, H&R, OEM VW + TT, S3 & RS3 parts, aerodynamics
Sachs Performance, Supersprint, SuperPro, Tarox, Whiteline
PICS
the bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #90
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
Yeah...EBD likely throws some new wrinkles into the equation...
Exactly, MK6s have BA and EBD. How do you think we get away with such high initial rear bias yet don't have GTIs spinning off every other on ramp?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #91
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Exactly, MK6s have BA and EBD. How do you think we get away with such high initial rear bias yet don't have GTIs spinning off every other on ramp?
Not sure if serious...

Cough... 59th street bridge? Queensboro?

"The Queensboro bridge in New York City has seen its third major accident involving a Volkswagen since March. According to The New York Post, a 2007 Volkswagen Golf lost control while exiting the bridge, struck scaffolding erected outside of a building and landed on top of a parked livery vehicle. The driver of the VW was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries. No one else was harmed in the incident.

That's a better outcome than in both of the previous accidents. The post reports that in April, the driver of a Jetta lost control in that exact location and spun into two store fronts. The driver later died of her injuries. Likewise, in March, a single-car accident at the off ramp resulted in the death of a pedestrian. The driver of that particular Volkswagen Golf lost an arm as a result of his injuries.

At this point, it's unclear what will be done to curb speeding on the off-ramp. Hit the jump to view a news report of the latest incident."

-off-ramp of doom claims third VW/
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #92
JoeVDUB
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Mach 1
^ I'm thinking it's more of the hideous wheels and not the brakes. And those were said to be Golf's not GTI's. Just saying...
JoeVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #93
Simmsled
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: my wife crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVDUB View Post
^ I'm thinking it's more of the hideous wheels and not the brakes. And those were said to be Golf's not GTI's. Just saying...
EBD and other alphabet soup acronyms apply to GTI & Golf & MKV Jetta.
And yes, the wheels are hideous.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #94
HYDE16
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Looking forward to providing you all with some serious insight on the Forge BBK.
The claims here less proof need to be further examined. Documentation or actual proof has yet to be seen on the following claims:
"Chinese knock-offs"
"6 piston affects brake bias"

I refer to Tecni (current MK6 owner with Forge BBK) and Sean from Forge Motorsport.
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #95
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

wow. i had no idea. hah well at least no VWs are spinning off on-ramps in Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmsled View Post
Not sure if serious...

Cough... 59th street bridge? Queensboro?

"The Queensboro bridge in New York City has seen its third major accident involving a Volkswagen since March. According to The New York Post, a 2007 Volkswagen Golf lost control while exiting the bridge, struck scaffolding erected outside of a building and landed on top of a parked livery vehicle. The driver of the VW was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries. No one else was harmed in the incident.

That's a better outcome than in both of the previous accidents. The post reports that in April, the driver of a Jetta lost control in that exact location and spun into two store fronts. The driver later died of her injuries. Likewise, in March, a single-car accident at the off ramp resulted in the death of a pedestrian. The driver of that particular Volkswagen Golf lost an arm as a result of his injuries.

At this point, it's unclear what will be done to curb speeding on the off-ramp. Hit the jump to view a news report of the latest incident."

-off-ramp of doom claims third VW/
Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #96
HYDE16
Formula 3000 Driver

Even after I upgraded the pads and brake fluid they stock brakes still sucked, ended up going with the Forge Motorsport Front Brake Kit and SS lines on my 2011 GTI.

-HYDE16 Reviews Forge Motorsport Front Brake Kit (MK5 & MK6 330mm Kit)-
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #97
HYDE16
Formula 3000 Driver

Copied from their Vortex threads / posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@TyrolSport View Post
We would like to announce that we have recently launched our
GROUP BUY: TyrolSport Master Brake Cylinder Bracket Group Buy and 10% Off Sale