GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
mugsy
Drag Racing Champion
 
mugsy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Call them on the phone. They helped me out with CEL problems on my stage 2.
I contacted GIAC and two different GIAC dealers yesterday. One dealer said he won't do VW because he "doesn't have the right tools" but he was helpful otherwise with my general questions and he then referred me to a bigger dealer and a specific rep at that dealer. The 2nd rep kinda blew me off at first crticizing the first dealer rep for blowing me off and told me to get back with the first dealer rep again. I told him again that the first rep said he won't do VW and he gave me the 2nd rep's name as who I should contact. I asked 2nd rep a couple of very basic questions regarding GIAC tune. I told him I was interested in Stage2 and that I had a CEL since I had recently put on Billy Boat catted downpipe. He said it would be wrong to do a GIAC tune until I fixed the downpipe CEL and to sort it out with Billy Boat.

Honestly none of that that was what I wanted to hear.... no other option or suggestions from the GIAC dealer(s).... just "fix the CEL first" and "contact Billy Boat"....

Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for a first impression. Meanwhile it took some doing initially but APR did respond and did answer my basic questions and was more than happy to accept me (and my GTI) as is.... Billy Boat downpipe, CEL and all.

I was all set to do APR Stage2 (during their extended sale period ) but as I was ready to order my brother insisted I consider GIAC first.

Maybe GIAC is good for a tune but at the rate of my initial contacts with them I guess I may never know firsthand.
mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
ZeroRt
Oval Champion
 
ZeroRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG - CSG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 174
Yeah, I don' blame you one bit. I would just go with APR. Seems like they are more than willing to take your business versus the GIAC reps. I'm sure you will be happy with the APR tune - I've never heard anything bad about them.

The reason I chose GIAC was the dealer was close to me and they actually did respond to my questions.
__________________
2012 DSG - GIAC Stage I - Borla CBE - TSW Interlagos - UB - Nuespeed P-Flow
-SOLD 8/24/2012-
ZeroRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRt View Post
Yeah, I don' blame you one bit. I would just go with APR. Seems like they are more than willing to take your business versus the GIAC reps. I'm sure you will be happy with the APR tune - I've never heard anything bad about them.

The reason I chose GIAC was the dealer was close to me and they actually did respond to my questions.
I see you got it! How do you like it? And shouldn't it have been a Stage II since you have a CAI and TBE?
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
ZeroRt
Oval Champion
 
ZeroRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG - CSG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
I see you got it! How do you like it? And shouldn't it have been a Stage II since you have a CAI and TBE?
Not quite yet. Probably install by Monday.

I only have CBE, not TBE.
__________________
2012 DSG - GIAC Stage I - Borla CBE - TSW Interlagos - UB - Nuespeed P-Flow
-SOLD 8/24/2012-
ZeroRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #25
Billy_Bob
Rally Car Champion
 
Billy_Bob's Avatar
 
Drives: Turbocharged Blueberry
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy View Post
I contacted GIAC and two different GIAC dealers yesterday. One dealer said he won't do VW because he "doesn't have the right tools" but he was helpful otherwise with my general questions and he then referred me to a bigger dealer and a specific rep at that dealer. The 2nd rep kinda blew me off at first crticizing the first dealer rep for blowing me off and told me to get back with the first dealer rep again. I told him again that the first rep said he won't do VW and he gave me the 2nd rep's name as who I should contact. I asked 2nd rep a couple of very basic questions regarding GIAC tune. I told him I was interested in Stage2 and that I had a CEL since I had recently put on Billy Boat catted downpipe. He said it would be wrong to do a GIAC tune until I fixed the downpipe CEL and to sort it out with Billy Boat.

Honestly none of that that was what I wanted to hear.... no other option or suggestions from the GIAC dealer(s).... just "fix the CEL first" and "contact Billy Boat"....

Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling for a first impression. Meanwhile it took some doing initially but APR did respond and did answer my basic questions and was more than happy to accept me (and my GTI) as is.... Billy Boat downpipe, CEL and all.

I was all set to do APR Stage2 (during their extended sale period ) but as I was ready to order my brother insisted I consider GIAC first.

Maybe GIAC is good for a tune but at the rate of my initial contacts with them I guess I may never know firsthand.
From what I understand, GIAC stage II doesn't deaden the rear O2 sensor. You;d still have the same problem after being tuned to GIAC stg II. BB catted DP will probably throw codes without a spacer, and chances are this is why you're throwing a code now. IDK if you put O2 spacers on your car, so that's all I can think of.
__________________
GIAC stage 1, Neuspeed P-flo, VW DriverGear Springs, Bilstein B8 dampeners, Tyrolsport subframe collar kit, H&R 26/22mm swaybars, R8 Oil cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuc1ous View Post
... and you just stared, which was creepy btw. It was a weird terminator/pedophile moment..
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
ZeroRt
Oval Champion
 
ZeroRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG - CSG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 174
OK. Installed this as soon as I got home from work today.

I fired the car up and it sounded horrible - almost a crunching sound for about 10 seconds. Then it all smoothed out, but all my warning lights were on for about two minutes. Put the car in reverse and all lights were off. Thank God!!

Took it for a three mile drive using D, S, and M. Power is very smooth. I wouldn't say I'm overly impressed, but I bet it probably has 25-30 more horses. Not too bad, but not at all like some of these others have experienced.
__________________
2012 DSG - GIAC Stage I - Borla CBE - TSW Interlagos - UB - Nuespeed P-Flow
-SOLD 8/24/2012-
ZeroRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
mugsy
Drag Racing Champion
 
mugsy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRt View Post
Yeah, I don' blame you one bit. I would just go with APR. Seems like they are more than willing to take your business versus the GIAC reps. I'm sure you will be happy with the APR tune - I've never heard anything bad about them.

The reason I chose GIAC was the dealer was close to me and they actually did respond to my questions.
Yeah I might end up with APR stage2 .... maybe wait till next sale.... or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
From what I understand, GIAC stage II doesn't deaden the rear O2 sensor. You;d still have the same problem after being tuned to GIAC stg II. BB catted DP will probably throw codes without a spacer, and chances are this is why you're throwing a code now. IDK if you put O2 spacers on your car, so that's all I can think of.
It sounded like that to me about the GIAC stage2 not overriding the O2 related CEL which actually may be what I want (letting the CEL stay on) so that I can pass NJ inspection with the associated OBD readiness requirements whether using an O2 spacer rig to eliminate CEL or to reinstall original downpipe if/when necessary. I have not tried spacers yet but would hope to have a good idea what to do with that in attempting to get my cbfa to be cooperative with downpipe CEL, readiness and inspection.

Of course I could take the downpipe off put stock pipe back on and go stage1 but I might just keep it stock if I am forced to jam a cork back up its butt.... could move to a friendlier state, that could also solve multiple state-related hassles, taxes and expenses.

I did some basic vcds checks and logging to get an idea as to what is what with the CEL and dp related faults etc, ran it past Billy Boat and one of their tuners.... he told me the error I'm getting is due to the high flow cat and that I should get APR stage2 to resolve that error. I don't think that will solve the NJ inspection requirements though.
mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRt View Post
OK. Installed this as soon as I got home from work today.

I fired the car up and it sounded horrible - almost a crunching sound for about 10 seconds. Then it all smoothed out, but all my warning lights were on for about two minutes. Put the car in reverse and all lights were off. Thank God!!

Took it for a three mile drive using D, S, and M. Power is very smooth. I wouldn't say I'm overly impressed, but I bet it probably has 25-30 more horses. Not too bad, but not at all like some of these others have experienced.
Wonder if you're throwing any codes.

Has your butt dyno felt a 35-50 hp increase in a different situation?
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
ZeroRt
Oval Champion
 
ZeroRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG - CSG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 174
What do u mean by different situation. If you mean any of my other mods - no.

This is the only mod where the car is legitably faster than stock.

As long as there is no CEL, I could care less about codes. Car is running great today.
__________________
2012 DSG - GIAC Stage I - Borla CBE - TSW Interlagos - UB - Nuespeed P-Flow
-SOLD 8/24/2012-
ZeroRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
Billy_Bob
Rally Car Champion
 
Billy_Bob's Avatar
 
Drives: Turbocharged Blueberry
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy View Post
I did some basic vcds checks and logging to get an idea as to what is what with the CEL and dp related faults etc, ran it past Billy Boat and one of their tuners.... he told me the error I'm getting is due to the high flow cat and that I should get APR stage2 to resolve that error. I don't think that will solve the NJ inspection requirements though.
It may not, solely because all it does is force the rear O2 sensor to be ready. I'm unsure if this will allow NJ residents to actually pass inspection, though. Needless to say I never had the chance to try with my MKV when it was Stage 2+.
I've been talking to Danek over at Eurotech motorsports in Mahwah about this. The only solution is to get a spacer for the O2 sensor, and even then that's not a guarantee the CEL won't reappear at some point.
GIAC and the AWE downpipe (despite it being super expensive) will pass, from what I gather, since the cat in the DP is one of th ebest on the market, and it has the spacers come with it.
__________________
GIAC stage 1, Neuspeed P-flo, VW DriverGear Springs, Bilstein B8 dampeners, Tyrolsport subframe collar kit, H&R 26/22mm swaybars, R8 Oil cap
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuc1ous View Post
... and you just stared, which was creepy btw. It was a weird terminator/pedophile moment..
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRt View Post
What do u mean by different situation. If you mean any of my other mods - no.

This is the only mod where the car is legitably faster than stock.

As long as there is no CEL, I could care less about codes. Car is running great today.
Just wondering since you said it feels only like a 25-30 hp gain, unless you were talking wheel horsepower? According to AWE/GIAC's dynoplots you should be getting at least 35-45 whp.
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
ZeroRt
Oval Champion
 
ZeroRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG - CSG
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 174
Well with a 10 to 15 percent drive train loss those figures would make sense then.
__________________
2012 DSG - GIAC Stage I - Borla CBE - TSW Interlagos - UB - Nuespeed P-Flow
-SOLD 8/24/2012-
ZeroRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #33
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroRt View Post
Well with a 10 to 15 percent drive train loss those figures would make sense then.
Yeah.

BTW, your car still needs a couple of days to adapt, it'll get a little bit more faster
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
Blaze1
Go Kart Newbie
 
Drives: 2012 CW gti 6 speed autobahn
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 26
Why do you have to get a neuspeed intake just because you live in cali?
Blaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #35
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze1 View Post
Why do you have to get a neuspeed intake just because you live in cali?
1) Cheap.
2) Carb legal (police won't fux with me).
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #36
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Hey guys, got the time to actually record some footage of the GIAC DTM and Wireless App in action (be warned, it's taken with my 8MP phone lol). I'll create it's own thread in the future.

I'm downloading some movie maker software so it'll at least look a little decent so it may take some time.

But it's sick!
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #37
martymcflytw
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Asia
Posts: 11
600$ USD is a good price for stage 1 + flashloader + valet considering the local GIAC dealer here in Taiwan wants 1,500$ for the same items (985$ tune + 500$ flash loader). An absolute mockery IMHO.
martymcflytw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcflytw View Post
600$ USD is a good price for stage 1 + flashloader + valet considering the local GIAC dealer here in Taiwan wants 1,500$ for the same items (985$ tune + 500$ flash loader). An absolute mockery IMHO.
$500 for the switcher? Wtf? Did you go to E-51? If you went recently, it is because there's no sale going on.

I only got it for $600 because it was part of their tune in celebration for winning 1st place in two classes in a race in Taiwan.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...455#post603455
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #39
martymcflytw
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Asia
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
$500 for the switcher? Wtf? Did you go to E-51? If you went recently, it is because there's no sale going on.

I only got it for $600 because it was part of their tune in celebration for winning 1st place in two classes in a race in Taiwan.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...455#post603455
Yes I sure did. E-51 is just around the corner from me. Their prices for parts are good with a slight premium over US prices, but that's acceptable considering import taxes and shipping. But software flashes don't require parts other than a computer and a bit of labor. The guys at E-51 wouldn't budge on price. Im not a cheapskate, but in principle I just can't do it.
martymcflytw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #40
Retro
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
Retro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 DSG SB GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcflytw View Post
Yes I sure did. E-51 is just around the corner from me. Their prices for parts are good with a slight premium over US prices, but that's acceptable considering import taxes and shipping. But software flashes don't require parts other than a computer and a bit of labor. The guys at E-51 wouldn't budge on price. Im not a cheapskate, but in principle I just can't do it.
Wait for the sale, maybe within 2 months for Waterfest
__________________
2012 DSG Shadow Blue GTI

GIAC Stage 1+ Review
V4G-C0M M0DZ
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
giac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.