GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecagolf View Post
I have no idea. I am planning to take the car to a local shop and do a little tune up, oil, filters and so on and also have the mechanic go over to see if the car requires anything.

What should I have him check out? Any suggestion?
Open up the fuel filter and see if you have metal shavings on it.

Also take a pic of the HPFP and look at the build date on it.

The repair of the HPFP is $8000+ because it requires a complete fuel system replacement.

That's the number one fear with these diesel motors.

What is the maintenance history of the car?! And what kind of tune up are you doing?! This car also requires very expensive 507 VW spec motor oil that costs ~9$ a quart.

If you see this you're in trouble

Last edited by maxtdi; 04-30-2012 at 01:28 PM.
maxtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
tribecagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf TDI DSG 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Open up the fuel filter and see if you have metal shavings on it.

Also take a pic of the HPFP and look at the build date on it.

The repair of the HPFP is $8000+ because it requires a complete fuel system replacement.

That's the number one fear with these diesel motors.

What is the maintenance history of the car?! And what kind of tune up are you doing?! This car also requires very expensive 507 VW spec motor oil that costs ~9$ a quart.

If you see this you're in trouble
Man that's a lot of money. You can buy a whole new engine with that much. Oh well, no regrets now, if it breaks it breaks. So far it's running great.

Date on the fuel pump says 03/2010. I guess it has never been changed but aren't these things supposed to last?

Just doing a maintenance tuning, not performance. Just oil, all filters replaced, check engine, rotating tires if needed, alignment, things like that. Engine by the way looks very clean, if you just look at it by opening the hood.

Now I think I am going to take it to VW Manhattan for service since it is the first time. Do you recommend taking it to a VW service or a independent shop?
tribecagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
well then if you already bought it, you bought it. it just means someone drive the living crap out of it for 2 years. theres no way that many miles put on a car in such a short time won't have a long term impact on the overall integrity of the vehicle but if you are happy with it, then cool
Not necessarily true. Mileage is mileage, the time frame it is in really doesn't matter.

What matters is that the required maintenance was performance at a matching pace to the increased mileage; if that was not done then the damage is likely there...

Being a person who puts 35,000 or more miles on a car per year; I know intimately how well they hold up to it, but you gotta do the maintenance as well.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

indy shop is fine as long as they know what they are doing and as long as they use the 507 oil. Its crucial for the correct performance of the DPF.

Fuel filters are due every 20k
Air filter every 40k
Cabin air filter every 20k
Oil and Filter every 10k
DSG service every 40k (if you have it)

So depends on what needs to be done based on the maintenance history.

You may have one of the highest mileage CR engines in a golf at the moment. Although some have hit 100k on the TDI club in the 09 Jettas/sportwagons.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
tribecagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
indy shop is fine as long as they know what they are doing and as long as they use the 507 oil. Its crucial for the correct performance of the DPF.

Fuel filters are due every 20k
Air filter every 40k
Cabin air filter every 20k
Oil and Filter every 10k
DSG service every 40k (if you have it)

So depends on what needs to be done based on the maintenance history.

You may have one of the highest mileage CR engines in a golf at the moment. Although some have hit 100k on the TDI club in the 09 Jettas/sportwagons.
Thanks man. I really appreciate your input.

What does the DSG service involve? That's why I am thinking of taking it to a VW service.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Quote:
Thanks man. I really appreciate your input.

What does the DSG service involve? That's why I am thinking of taking it to a VW service.
DSG service is VERY expensive $350-400 depending on dealer.
The dealer will drain the DSG fluid, change the DSG filter. The trans fluid is VERY expensive at $18 a quart or so. (4.5 are needed)

DIY is about $150 in parts but you need a special fill tool that costs $150 or so for your first time.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
livefast
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI Manual
At the rate I'm going, it would take my 7 years to put that many miles on my car...
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefast View Post
At the rate I'm going, it would take my 7 years to put that many miles on my car...
seriously. it all depends on what kind of miles and its so difficult to truly know the answer to that. i put about 10k Los Angeles miles on my car per year which, in my estimation, taking into account the utter filth (streets, air, people) that I drive amongst on a daily basis in combination with destroyed roads = roughly 30k pleasant hwy miles. Some people live in clean pleasant places with nice smooth roads, so 70k miles may not be that bad. But many people sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day and drive in cities and 70k miles of that kind of driving in 2 years, in my estimation = buying a car that is a time bomb. So what if all the maintenance was done on time? that is a shit ton of miles.

on the other hand, 70k miles in two years on the autobahn might be fine. oh wait, no it wouldn't because 40k of that 70k miles would be done at 110mph and 4500RPMS....
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
tribecagolf
Rally Car Newbie

Since when 70K miles is too much? Cars with a little bit of a maintenance are supposed to last a lot more than that. These cars in Europe go to 200K easy with some repairs here and there and my family has owned Golf I, III, and IV withe each of them over 150K miles. And back there, we would take the car to the shop only when it actually broke down.
People can argue that nowadays cars last less because of the technology and stuff like that but I don't believe it. Cars last if they're driven the right way.

...like someone said, "cars are made to be driven".
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Quote:
Since when 70K miles is too much? Cars with a little bit of a maintenance are supposed to last a lot more than that. These cars in Europe go to 200K easy with some repairs here and there and my family has owned Golf I, III, and IV withe each of them over 150K miles. And back there, we would take the car to the shop only when it actually broke down.
People can argue that nowadays cars last less because of the technology and stuff like that but I don't believe it. Cars last if they're driven the right way.

...like someone said, "cars are made to be driven".
Well 70k is not too much at all, its just significantly higher than average on a 2010 model year car.

My 1998 Crown Vic has 290k miles on it now. Waiting on the big 300. Original engine/transmission.