GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unibrace UB. Over Performing, Under Your Car.

Bender1

Banned
For a little over a year I have had the pleasure of running a Unibrace XB on my GTI. The XB continues to be one of my favorite mods to date. The install took a bit of time, but every moment has now paid off (its not difficult, just take your time to do it right). Not only is it a wonderful part, but its always refreshing to work with a wonderful small business owner, like Bruce.

On Friday, my Unibrace UB arrived.

One thing you will notice about any Unibrace product you order is the design. Its beautiful enough to be a piece of modern art, but clearly designed with function in mind. Think of an Apple product, form follows function, but it is still highly important. Build quality is top notch, and its clear that both will last for the long haul. As I didn’t want to crawl around on wet pavement, I took my UB to my local mechanic for the 5 minute bolt up. He too commented on the design and build quality. Though it would look great in my basement, mounted behind my bar, that is not what the Unibrace UB is for. The Unibrace is intended to stiffen the vehicle, and that is exactly what it does.

One of my complaints about the GTI from day one has been the numbness from the corners. In stock form, loads are transferred wonderfully and predictable (something that is only improved with a slight increase in sway bar size and spring aggressiveness) but though you KNOW where they are at any given time, and they will react exactly as predicted, they are woefully under communicated. Previously, I thought that this was intentionally designed to provide for ride quality. Now I confident that is not the case. This lack of communication is a result of the underbody not being appropriately "linked."

The addition of the Unibrace UB has not only eliminated body flex, but has allowed for you to be able to FEEL how the suspension is reacting in any given situation. I want to be clear, this is not a negative for ride quality, if anything it improves it. But, as stated, the feel for specifically what corner is loaded and how weight is transferring (both laterally and fore/aft) is an amazing feeling.

In a coming post I will be discussing modifying on a budget, but the Unibrace UB and XB will be at the top of the list.

As posted on http://www.vager.org

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
Totally agreeing with all of this Bender!

:clap:

Lodi

Go Kart Champion

becauseArt... .. .:thumbsup:

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
P

plac

agree with you on those points. for me, all it did was made my stock suspension perform more accurately and precisely. yes, i could "feel" the suspension working more, with less wobble.

ErsteGTI

Ready to race!
Nice review bender. I agree with everything said. Just want to add that there was a certain objective assessment of what the UB brace was doing for the chassis: the creeking you get from slow speed movement over speed bumps or down ramps (driveways) at an angle. These sounds (which for me sound like boots on packed snow) are significantly (>50-75%) reduced indicating much less chassis flex. Period.
Very nice product from Unibrace and Bruce.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
so the general consensus is no adverse affects on ride quality then? is that for real? ;)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Looks like I'm adding both of these to the future list.

A.Bursell

Ready to race!
I am interested, but didn't get my questions out there and answered before the last group buy ended.

I have a TDI. I have heard there may be some wiring conflicts with the TDI, or maybe some additional work required. Can't find any info on it. Anyone have any experience?

Adam

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Whats the Nutsert tool for?

GTItraveler

Ready to race!
Yes, the TDI has some pollution wiring that need to be tied up. It's quite simple and look for a post by user hilld. The Nutsert tool is needed for the installation of the UNIbrace XB.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Looks like I'm adding both of these to the future list.

and if you want to do the perfect Trifecta, add the Stern rear suspension brace as well...I immediately noticed an incremental improvement over my XB-UB which I didn't think was possible. All this bracing does great things for this car..

I spent 400 miles in the twisties of North Carolina, including the dragon, this past weekend, and the whole enchilada, with DG springs and APR bars was just perfect. Filmed both ways on the Dragon by Simon in the APR S4 project car. Can't wait to see the videos !

Last edited: