GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: Can you drive stick?
Yes 638 91.40%
No 60 8.60%
Voters: 698. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #323
Speed Devil
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: '10 Boxster S, eventually a Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I voted no. I had a friend teach me 11 years back as a freshman in high school but I don't consider myself proficient at it. I'm not afraid to admit it.
I aint the best either, but after driving a friends 02 mustang V6 a few times after learning from a friend who use to work at ford (taught me on a 10 Mustang GT) and then test driving over 20+ different cars (Gti's, golf tdi, wrx, challenger rt, '12 stang V6, 08 si, 12 Gli/wrangler, ect.), I know enough that when I finally get my GTI, won't stall out at all and only gonna get better

I voted yes, only learned in the past two years but jonesin' to get stick (23 btw, had a pdk and it got old after learning stick)
Speed Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #324
Archfiend
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 DB GTI
There used to be a law that anyone under 21 cannot get an automatic license. I learned on a manual, I was terrible at it, got better, but once I was allowed automatic I changed straight away. Automatic is way better where I live, especially with the terrible traffic. I actually asked the dealer here in the country and they don't have a GTI with manual transmission. Most cars here are automatic unless it's a performance car that comes only in manual.
Archfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #325
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClapperHighs View Post
I was always obsessed with manual cars from seeing my dad drive all of his old muscles cars since i was born. So when i got my permit at 15, i learned to drive stick on his 69 Chevelle SS with 600 hp. lol and then after i learned on that, i perfected it in his 67 Corvette. Heaviest clutch in the world on that car... i love it. So after that thing, every manual transmission feels totally effortless and natural. I'll never buy an automatic. To me, if you really love cars, you need to have the full experience and feel connected. Its just more fun!
no joke about those old vettes.. My buddy had one and that clutch was insanely heavy.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #326
ClapperHighs
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Mk7 GTI RS 6MT / 1983 Porsche 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
no joke about those old vettes.. My buddy had one and that clutch was insanely heavy.

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.
Yeah man, it's like trying to roll over a fat man with your left foot. Haha, but the heavy springy-ness of it makes it easier to shift super quick.... Once you've built up your leg muscles. lol i'll never forget when we bought that vette at auction. I hopped in it to drive it around the parking lot, and my leg was shaking like crazy from trying to hold the clutch in.
ClapperHighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #327
shahabdin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 BGP R-Line 1.4 TSI 160hp
Learned stick from day one of my learner's ed. Drove a stick for 5-6 years before getting a Ford automatic tip-tronic CVT that I drove for 3 years before going back to stick on my Golf. Guess that helped inclined me more towards the manual :P

shahabdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #328
former3g
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2010 EVO X GSR, 2010 GTI Sedan DSG
I learned Manual on a WRX. I had one lesson from a local driving school a week before I picked the car up. Drove the Subaru home from the dealership and taught myself the rest of the way in my local town, which I should add is full of hills and steep inclines.

Took a couple days to catch on and a week or two before I really felt confident and a few months before it was second nature.

I would say an AWD car with a clutch as heavy as the Subie is one of the toughest cars to learn manual in. Needed a new clutch at around 36k miles

I have a DSG now with my Daily Driver due to a bad left knee. The DSG is not a bad compromise at all.
former3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #329
CFG9000

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
I learned to drive manual on a Nissan 200SX, but I've never owned a manual car. 2 automatics and now a DSG. So I'd probably be a little rusty if I bought one today, but I know what I'm doing.
CFG9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #330
Ironhorse

Drives: Black Beauty III
best friend taught me on the old church pick up truck
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #331
fredf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
When I was 16 my friend's father (who was a meat wholesaler) got sick and I was the only friend of his son with a drivers license so he asked me if I could do his deliveries for him that day.

He had a white panel truck. I had to drive to the slaughterhouse and pick up some carcasess and deliver them to various restaurants.

It was a rainy fall day, the passenger windshield wiper wasn't working (we drove with the passenger window open with him wiping the side of the window from time to time so I could see out that side) and I had never driven stick before.

By time we finished the deliveries I could drive stick.

I have never owned an automatic.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #332
GTI Geo
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
My second car was a "70 Mustang with a manual transmission, so it taught me drive a stick. The real challenge was my third car, a '72 MG Midget. It had a non-synchro first gear that taught me to "double clutch". I think that over my whole driving experience, it is about 50/50 manuals/autos. My GTI has a DSG, which is great, though once in a while I yearn for a manual. Have I staked out the middle ground yet???

Jeremy Clarkson
GTI Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #333
Captkrunch
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI (DSG)
Learned to drive stick on a 2012 boss 302 and a 1999 svt cobra and became fluent with it after taking a trip to my uncles up in new york and driving his 01 m5 around next car will be a manual tranny haha
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #334
AddyDaddyXR
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI CSG 6MT
Learned on a 2000 ford ranger back in 05 been driving,a,stick,ever since. They are just so much more fun, you can imo feel the car better, sync,if you will
2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R
AddyDaddyXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #335
Texag
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 UG 4dr, 6spd
First drove stick at 12, now 24. The GTI is my 6th car, all but 1 have been manuals. I know DSG is technologically superior, but I enjoy the connection with the car. It's nice to feel what gear the car is in, hear the revs, and know how fast I'm going.

I'm going to regret getting a 6spd as I go through getting 2 torn rotator cuffs repaired next year. The only auto car I have access to is my mom's 3 door yaris. It is an aggressively horrible little shitbox, and going through the recovery time driving it is going to SUCK!
Texag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #336
Sandwich_Dan
Oval Champion

Drives: GTD
Here in the UK if you don't pass your test with manual transmission then you aren't licensed to drive them. As most of our cars are manual, pretty much all of us can drive them.

The better questions to weed out the dedicated drivers over here would be things like "can you heel and toe?", "can you double declutch properly in a car with no synchromesh?" or "can you change gear smoothly without using the clutch?" (Hire cars are best used for practising the last of those, but it's a useful skill to have in the bag just in case)
Sandwich_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual transmission