GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #127
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
u can get 100octane in a regular gas station?

100 octane is banned in Canada

anyway just some update of mine.

I have a 6 speed. tuned

this stuttering problem happened 3 times during the first 6 month of ownage.
during that period twice before tune once after it. then it stopped for about 7 month or so. about 3 months ago it came back....even harder. I lost count cuz it happens a lot now.

Sometimes it will stall before the red needle can climb up to 1000rpm. engine will start but for literally 1 second...then stalls
Once when it stalled I couldn't start the engine the second time I tried. Pull the key out and turned again, it worked. on the way home my face was like wtf....
Once it happened at a meet and people gave me the wtf face....
Other times are just like people have said.

It happens ONLY when car is warm, and been sitting there for 5min to couple of hours. It does revive if I give it some gas(except the instal ones).
We have race fuel stations here that sell 100 octane and higher. Needless to say, it's about $9/gal.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #128
Zubair
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 Golf 6 GTI Manual
My 2012 manual has been doing this intermittently since new. VW changed some fuel pipe in the engine bay that has some regulator attached and said it wasn't holding pressure. However the problem still crops up once in 2 weeks or so. They now blame the signal from throttle to peddle and could be faulty throttle peddle.
'12 GTI 6 Candy White,Manual,LED Xenons,Sunroof,Bluetooth,Touchscreen,R LED Tail Lights
Zubair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #129
Allen

Drives: 2011 GTI 4-Door DSG
Same Here

This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #130
Allen

Drives: 2011 GTI 4-Door DSG
Also...

I found this article written about MKV GTI fuel pump issues. Looks like the low pressure fuel pump got a part number update after the manufacture date of my MKVI. May or may not be true or applicable, but interesting...

http://changegears.wordpress.com/tag/1k0919051db/
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #131
MellowCat

Drives: 2012 VW GTI
Having this same issue a lot on my 2012 Manual car. Stalls at least once per day, dealer can't duplicate the problem. Car always re-starts on the second try fine. Seems to happen most often when parked for a short time after driving for awhile.

I have the rear window washer drip issue too. Dealer told me there was no fix for it....
MellowCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #132
KevinBlank
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
I've been experiencing the same problem, and at 12k it just started doing it about 1000 miles ago. Happens at least once a day, not dependent on temperature or weather the AC is on or not. It has done it for the dealer, but no codes or anything. They couldn't do anything for me.

Mellow, another forum user from Cin City!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #133
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.
Wish they'd posted a better picture of the hose and clamp location in the engine bay. I've noticed my a/c has stopped blowing as cold as it did before. I just figured it was due to summer heat and my added intercooler upgrade.

Last edited by FocalPoint; 07-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #134
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Anyone know the supplier for the injectors?
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #135
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI
argh my '11 (DSG pushbutton-start) just stalled on me today after sitting in the 97 degree heat for an hour. It stalled about 10 seconds after starting, I had just turned on the A/C.

So there is not a TSB or anything for this yet???
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #136
TheCastle
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI rip. BMW 335d
I wanted to let everyone know I have found a solution to this problem, but not necessarily one everyone would like to pursue. I'm sure there are other solutions to this minor defect.

I have a 2011 GTI with DSG and have been having the stalling issue since I bought the car. The one where when the car is warmed up, I turn it off, run an earned, then start it up, it runs at about 500rpms, and slowly dies. IF I give it gas sometimes it runs rough and will be okay, or just dies. I also have the issue on cold starts, that the first time I come to a stop it also feels like its going to die.

But I have noticed a fix for this. I got tuned (APR stage 1) and noticed that when I'm running with the tune active i have no idle/starting problems. When I switch back to stock mode its back.

Seems like this can be fixed with software..... But yes this is a common problem. Lots of threads on it.

Last edited by TheCastle; 07-28-2012 at 08:41 AM.
TheCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #137
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

I dropped my car off at the dealer today to try to address this issue. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up yet. I opened a case with WVoA, for what it's worth.

Anyone else still having this problem or has had it fixed? How's the APR stage 1 fix working out for you with respect to this issue?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #138
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.zeros View Post
I dropped my car off at the dealer today to try to address this issue. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm not giving up yet. I opened a case with WVoA, for what it's worth.

Anyone else still having this problem or has had it fixed? How's the APR stage 1 fix working out for you with respect to this issue?
I have APR stage 2, and the issue has not rectified if that's any inkling. I've noticed a lot of fuel pump issues lately. Wondering if it's connected, as the resulting stalling after start up is apparently linked with a slow to pressurize fuel pump.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #139
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

Dealer service rep called me today.

Predictably, they cannot replicate the issue.

I told them to keep it another day and try again.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #140
Bigoregon
Ready to race!

Drives: 11' dsg sb gti, 07 h2 lux bl, 04 TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.zeros View Post
Dealer service rep called me today.

Predictably, they cannot replicate the issue.

I told them to keep it another day and try again.
I purchased my '11 DSG turn key early this year and my car has stalled at least 50 times on me and I am up to about 7.5k on mileage, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to take it into the dealership as I have been out of town working or was unable to get a loaner in san antonio or in panama city. What happened with the Panama City VW anyways? a chain bought them out and cut out all their fleet loaner cars and reduced the service dept to basically doing oil changes as far as I can tell...
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...