GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modified shifter shaft

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
I love just about everything about my Gti, especially after coming from a couple cars in the last few years that I didn't care for that much. One thing I can't stand however is the stock shifter. I don't know if it's just the height or what, but I didn't like it the first time I drove the car. I cut down the shaft tonight until I can afford to buy a DG kit. I already like it a lot better. It isn't any harder to shift, no additional pressure etc needed so I'm happy. Looks a lot better. Next up is new knob and DG kit.

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Nice mod! I had a DG ShortShift on my MK4. Made me shift like crazy! I wanted to do a combo DG+B&M but got lots of bad reviews even though I've already bought the B&M.

Last edited:

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Details please. I have been thinking about this for some time now.

You have to pop the surrounding cover with the shift boot off. The easiest way to do it is to put your car in 3rd gear. Push down on the shift boot and with your fingers pry up on the lip of the assembly. Once it pops off its connected on the bottom of the shift boot with a pinched ring. You have to take a small screw driver and find a way to pry it open to you can pull off the shift knob assembly. Then you just measure how far you want it to sit down. I cut close to 2 inches off the shaft itself and then fit the shifter assembly back down on it. I also switched to a clamp to hold the shifter on the shaft because the OE piece wouldn't get tight enough to keep the knob from spinning left and right. Then you just adjust it to where you want it, and snap the assembly back on. I could have gone shorter but felt this was the best spot for me. I have some pictures I'll post here and if you have questions just ask.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Great Mod, thanks OP! I have been wanting to do this, but didn't have time to figure it out. Did you cut the shaft while still mounted? Did you use a dremel or what? Now I am motivated! :)
Andreas

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
I'm sure they are a lot of ways to do it. I just leave the shaft itself in 3rd gear with the shift knob assembly off. I then wrap a small piece of electrical tape around it to keep my cut even, and then with a cut off wheel on my dremel I cut it off. I did put a towel on my dash covering my radio etc, another towel across myself, center console, and passenger seat just to make sure small metal shavings didn't go all over my clean interior. Keeping my interior clean is one thing I'm crazy about.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Aren't there different types of cutting wheels for the Dremel? Which did you use?

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
I had the reinforced ones that they sell at Lowe's. Pretty expensive for a pack of 20 but I use them on all kinds of stuff so they are worth it to me. I have used to smaller ones that look like stone but they don't cut as well and they get hot as hell. Just get the steel carbon reinforced ones. They cut through it like butter.

Jpac175

Ready to race!
I did mine this morning took about 30 mins awesome little mod! Thanks op
** before and after pics** cut off just under 2 inches
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344094670360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344094670360.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,786
  • uploadfromtaptalk1344094687154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344094687154.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,703