GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So who's bored and wants to analyze some Golf R VCDS data logs?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hey there! I've been experiencing some oddness so I decided it was time to learn how to run some data logs with my new VCDS cable. (actually someone recommended I do this, I can't take all the credit).

Im Unitronic Stage 1+ and just installed a CTS CAI. The car just strted driving differently recently and I thought it was the intake. The reason I thought this is because I had to take off the engine cover to put the intake on and assumed that the pipe was getting too hot from the engine heat plus the fact that it's an open intake. The car seemed real sluggish when it was 80+ degrees out. Also shift smoothness changed for the worse. I thought it might be heat soak or maybe a vacuum leak at the turbo inlet. :iono: I just don't know.

So I logged 003, 020, and 031. I did (or tried as best I could but it was never safe to go all the way) WOT runs from 2k to red. I did 2nd, third, and 4th gear runs.

So who wants to tell what the eff is up my .:R?

Thanks for looking! I just don't know how to interpret the data yet...

EDIT: mods please move as I had no clue where to put... sorry!

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

gkamenov

Hi! I'm not an expert but looking at your logs seems to me that the current ignition timing is too much! It could be many reasons, but easyest is to start with the fuel. What kind of fuel you are using? You can try high octane fuel or adding octane booster to your current fuel.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hi! I'm not an expert but looking at your logs seems to me that the current ignition timing is too much! It could be many reasons, but easyest is to start with the fuel. What kind of fuel you are using? You can try high octane fuel or adding octane booster to your current fuel.

Thanks for checking:thumbsup:

I only put Shell 93 octane in my car. It's tough to find higher octane fuel here...

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Usually it's recommended to run the full logs (5 runs of ~10 different measuring blocks each).. check out APR's website for everything they want you to log.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Usually it's recommended to run the full logs (5 runs of ~10 different measuring blocks each).. check out APR's website for everything they want you to log.

Thanks, I did see that after the fact. I need to scout out a good place to do 4th gear WOT runs as redline puts me 90+mph. I found a decent place for 3rd but I'm sure I can find a better place.

Anyone doing this should have a partner because IMHO this is far more dangerous than texting and driving!

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
You can do 3rd gear pulls with t/c off as long as you have enough traction to not spin at all. 3rd tops out at 80+ MPH

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, I did see that after the fact. I need to scout out a good place to do 4th gear WOT runs as redline puts me 90+mph. I found a decent place for 3rd but I'm sure I can find a better place.

Anyone doing this should have a partner because IMHO this is far more dangerous than texting and driving!

4th will actually put you over 100 mph at redline, which is why I always do 3rd gear. Make sure VCDS is in "turbo" mode. As for safety, pull over to the side of the road when you switch settings and then move the mouse over the start/stop button before you take off. Also, to save yourself a lot of time, look at the VCDS thread in my signature. My second post has saved sets of all 5 APR logging rounds. You can load each one up as a set rather than tick 15 different check boxes over and over.

Todd@ECS

Ready to race!
4th will actually put you over 100 mph at redline, which is why I always do 3rd gear. Make sure VCDS is in "turbo" mode. As for safety, pull over to the side of the road when you switch settings and then move the mouse over the start/stop button before you take off. Also, to save yourself a lot of time, look at the VCDS thread in my signature. My second post has saved sets of all 5 APR logging rounds. You can load each one up as a set rather than tick 15 different check boxes over and over.
wow, that will save a lot of time! nice work and thank you. :thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

That thread has been like my bible lately:thumbsup:

P

plac

You can load each one up as a set rather than tick 15 different check boxes over and over.

dood that is critical.. on all my intake logging every day i checked 1 box at a time, was a pain in the ass. ill have to check out your tips.