GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
-yz-
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
no, its a continuous click. for the entire time im backing up w wheels turned.
See, I just hear the click once... right when the car starts rolling.
-yz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
Clarkson
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '12 VW GTI 4dr DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by -yz- View Post
See, I just hear the click once... right when the car starts rolling.
I had the same noise in my Tiguan with 4motion. Is it possible that it's the awd system doing it's thing? I equated it to a decently loud TING while backing up or when losing grip in the front.
Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
dm328is
Ready to race!

Drives: Golf R, RDX, R12GS
Experiencing the same thing in my stock R. Usually a single click, or maybe 2-3 clicks once or twice, typically as I'm starting to back up, though may have happened as I rolled forward too. Not a good sound, never experienced on any other car. Haven't figured out where it's coming from or what's causing it yet. Not a sound I'd like to hear out of warranty.
dm328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #18
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
I have a single click when pushing it in low gears and also from forward to reverse gear change. Sounds like its from the passenger side, but who knows where. Sounds like I ran over a pebble and it hit the wheel well (CLICK!)
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
intoflatlines
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Z4M, GTI
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaRacer<br />
Sounds like you guys are talking about the brake pads clicking in the carriers when you change direction from reverse to forward and from forward to reverse. There is play in the carriers and the pads may click a bit as the brake rotors change direction.
<br />
<br />
no, its a continuous click. for the entire time im backing up w wheels turned.
I've got this sometimes, sounds like something is rubbing almost

Sent via Tapatalk, probably with typos.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
I've got this sometimes, sounds like something is rubbing almost.
yes. i think it IS just something rubbing.. and not a big deal. someone with a go pro needs to suction it under there and find the noise for us.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
TAZZ
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 .:R, DSG 2Doors
Since this is not the sound of the calipers moving inside the carriers when there is a direction change in the wheel rotation, I think it is excatly the little normal sound anyone gets from the DSG engaging whenever selecting back and forth from D to Reverse.

Thing is, since you guys are manual, the clutch will engage as the car starts moving (as opposed to immediately when you move the gear lever as is the case with the DSG), this is why u would not immediately associate it as transmission-engaging related and describe it more as a sound coming from when "the car starts moving".
Pefectly normal, and will vary depending on the oil temperature of the transmission.
DM Custom 2+ / Upsolute DSG Reflash / Autotech HPFP / RS4 HPRV / Scorpion Catless Resonated TBE / APR Carbonio / GFB DV+ / CTS TOP / CTS TBP / HG Pulley / Sprintbooster / HPA Haldex Competition Controller / Alcon Advantage Extreme BBK / FONDMETAL 9RR Wheels
336 awhp / 357 awtq - Build
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
99bajakid
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
odd, i get this sound too in the mornings. It only happens when the car sits overnight. Its a clunk like something falls and hits the floorboard (impossible i know, but that's what it sounds like OKAY!!!!!!!!!) it used to bother me, but now I just assume its normal.

My gti is a manual btw and it happens around 2-5 mph at slow take off once in the morning. after that it will never do it until the next morning. :/
99bajakid is offline   Reply With Quote