GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
peechu
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 2010 CW 2D Man GTI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
To me, the Mini Cooper is like a circus.

Fun to experience, but hard to take seriously.
I agree word for word, but I gotta say, the mini is one DAMN FUN (expensive) circus.
peechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #44
peechu
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 2010 CW 2D Man GTI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermk6 View Post
grab your mini and come race my GTI... i bet you pick the GTI after were done... chase me threw some turns.... we have the low end torque you speak of and the interior quality is top notch. i dont care if your mini s is faster around a track. personally everytime i see one on the road and some guy is driving it i just laugh and cruise past.

to me its a chick car and i would never drive one. by no means am i trying to offend you this is just my opinion and you are entitled to yours... ill take my GTI over a mini in every situation.
-1

You're entitled to your own opinion, but never say never man. Take a spin in one if you ever get the chance, then tell me you'll never drive one, again that is It was a very close fight for my heart between these two cars, but when both price quotes came in it was a clear winner for my payscale.
peechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #45
TAZZ
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
TAZZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 .:R, DSG 2Doors
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bey, LB
Posts: 487
I own a MCS R53, the car is extremely fun to drive. I have driven 3 GTIs (1 Mk5 and 2 Mk6).
Frankly I would not trade off my mini for any GTI. But for a Golf R (with its devastating performance I experienced) on the other hand....
__________________
DM Custom 2+ / Upsolute DSG Reflash / Autotech HPFP / RS4 HPRV / Scorpion Catless Resonated TBE / APR Carbonio / GFB DV+ / CTS TOP / CTS TBP / HG Pulley / Sprintbooster / HPA Haldex Competition Controller / Alcon Advantage Extreme BBK / FONDMETAL 9RR Wheels
336 awhp / 357 awtq - Build
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #46
peechu
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 2010 CW 2D Man GTI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Jose
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
I own a MCS R53, the car is extremely fun to drive. I have driven 3 GTIs (1 Mk5 and 2 Mk6).
Frankly I would not trade off my mini for any GTI. But for a Golf R (with its devastating performance I experienced) on the other hand....
Exactly I would have loved one, but when I was shopping and my eyes glazed over with excitement while driving this car, I could lean one of two ways. Be practical, save money and get more usable everyday car, or end up in the upgraded section and see if I could get more fun for my dollar in the price range. If there WAS a golf R in the states, it would of been a REAL interesting decision for me to make (based on realistic pricing of course)
peechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #47
koen
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: MK6 Golf GTI
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 88
i owned a turbo charged cooper s before and i love the driving feel more than the GTI, i love the steering feedback on the mini, solid and direct, the brakes are a lot better than the GTI ones too (apparently the R56 turbocharged brakes are the same ones as the R53 JCW brakes) great fun to toss around in corner and i can kill TT / Golf Mk5 gti / r32(not sure if its mod or not) in really twistie roads

however, GTI is a LOT more practical, god i love 4drs, bigger boot, more space and more electronic gadgets!also, a very comfortable steering to hold on to! as a 2nd car, i think mini is a great car to own for its fun and fuel efficiency!

here is a pic of my mini
koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #48
TAZZ
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
TAZZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 .:R, DSG 2Doors
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bey, LB
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by koen View Post
i owned a turbo charged cooper s before and i love the driving feel more than the GTI, i love the steering feedback on the mini, solid and direct, the brakes are a lot better than the GTI ones too (apparently the R56 turbocharged brakes are the same ones as the R53 JCW brakes) great fun to toss around in corner and i can kill TT / Golf Mk5 gti / r32(not sure if its mod or not) in really twistie roads

however, GTI is a LOT more practical, god i love 4drs, bigger boot, more space and more electronic gadgets!also, a very comfortable steering to hold on to! as a 2nd car, i think mini is a great car to own for its fun and fuel efficiency!

here is a pic of my mini
Wow nice car man love the contrasting white/black theme-ing
__________________
DM Custom 2+ / Upsolute DSG Reflash / Autotech HPFP / RS4 HPRV / Scorpion Catless Resonated TBE / APR Carbonio / GFB DV+ / CTS TOP / CTS TBP / HG Pulley / Sprintbooster / HPA Haldex Competition Controller / Alcon Advantage Extreme BBK / FONDMETAL 9RR Wheels
336 awhp / 357 awtq - Build
TAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #49
gkallis
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI Candy White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Usa
Posts: 754
I have both a 2010 gti and 2008 mini cooper s in the drive way. They both have their down falls and perks. Mini will destroy the GTI in any handling and i dont care what you say its a fact. If you have money to put into the mini it could be a serious car because its so light. The GTI on the other hand is just an overall quality car. Its quick and handles good juSt not as good as mini but i will say its faster then mini well just because i smoke my brother all the time. Also i hate how with mini everything is an option...BMW needs to give us a little something and as for reliability the mini is good so far engine wise but something with BMW and their windows motors. We have 2 BMWS so far the 740il and mini cooper and both of them had window problems..Basically my conclusion is dont diss the mini because its ALOT of fun and well sure it cant beat us in a straight like it sure can beat us in the corners and alot more funner to drive.
gkallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #50
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver
 
johnny_p's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,315
I test drove both when I went to get my car, and actually, I preferred the Mini. Driving wise, its the better driver's car. It handles on rails, it changes direction quickly and very confidently. It accelerates with great punch anywhere in the rev range, and the brakes will slam your face into the dashboard if you're not paying attention.

Other than that, the gas mileage is superb, the seats feel great, and most of the interior is actually pretty decent.

That said, they're too damn expensive. I optioned one out comparable to the GTI I was looking at, and it was over $27000. Not fun. Plus, if you have your heart set on any options, you're going to be ordering one because everything is optional. I couldn't take the time to wait to order one, my previous car (Ford Focus) was literally about to fall apart. And lastly, there is zero room in that damn trunk for anything other than 4 small bags of groceries, making it a very impractical car.

Too bad, they're really great little cars. But when it came down to it, the GTI is really only half a step behind in handling, half a step behind in brakes, half a step behind in engine, and a full 10 steps ahead in interior, practicality, and cost.

So in my case, the GTI won
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #51
gkallis
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI Candy White
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Usa
Posts: 754
i think u mean a step ahead in engine because my gti will run circles around my brothers mini lol
gkallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #52
quarantine
Rally Car Newbie
 
quarantine's Avatar
 
Drives: golf
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gtiland
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
I test drove both when I went to get my car, and actually, I preferred the Mini. Driving wise, its the better driver's car. It handles on rails, it changes direction quickly and very confidently. It accelerates with great punch anywhere in the rev range, and the brakes will slam your face into the dashboard if you're not paying attention.

Other than that, the gas mileage is superb, the seats feel great, and most of the interior is actually pretty decent.

That said, they're too damn expensive. I optioned one out comparable to the GTI I was looking at, and it was over $27000. Not fun. Plus, if you have your heart set on any options, you're going to be ordering one because everything is optional. I couldn't take the time to wait to order one, my previous car (Ford Focus) was literally about to fall apart. And lastly, there is zero room in that damn trunk for anything other than 4 small bags of groceries, making it a very impractical car.

Too bad, they're really great little cars. But when it came down to it, the GTI is really only half a step behind in handling, half a step behind in brakes, half a step behind in engine, and a full 10 steps ahead in interior, practicality, and cost.

So in my case, the GTI won
Well said. I own both and couldn't have agreed with you more.
I also paid more for the Mini than I paid for the GTI
quarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #53
johnny_p
Formula 3000 Driver
 
johnny_p's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkallis View Post
i think u mean a step ahead in engine because my gti will run circles around my brothers mini lol
well this is just my take on it, but... I felt the Mini was paired to its engine better than the GTI. The Mini accelerated great, and you couldn't help but smile every time you punched it, at absolutely any rev. I think it has a dual scroll turbo right? The GTI, by comparison, just feels quick without the same WOOHOO! sensation that I got in the Mini. I dunno, probably more weight difference and throttle response than anything.... and by no means am I saying the GTI has a bad engine, I just felt the Mini had the better pair up.
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #54
falconeight
Oval Champion
 
falconeight's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 gti
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado springs
Posts: 160
The mini is a great car a retains its value very well. I would buy one, I just have this side of me that likes the more room of the gti and the way it goes thru life on the down low.
falconeight is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.