GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
pgrim
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 08 GTI
Wait for mkvii?

So I have an 08 GTI right now that I'm trying to sell. I'm currently deployed overseas and have an opportunity to order a brand new VW here and have it delivered for when I get home (prob july 2013).

I plan to purchase a Golf R. I was told by the gentleman that deals with military auto source that they will not allow you to order brand new 2013 Golf R's anymore.

So my question is, do I settle for a used or leftover 2013 Golf R (slim pickings I'd imagine) when I get home or wait out for a 2014 model? How do you find out a VW release cycle/trend? Everything seems to point to fall of 2013.

That puts me in a weird place, I can't order a brand new one to be built now and I'd have to wait till a year from now to get on the next production swing?

I've never purchased a new car before so forgive my ignorance.
pgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
You should wait for the new one...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
barische
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GTI mk6
i hear that there are plenty of unsold golf Rs out there. So you will have a great chance of picking one up new or lightly used.
barische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
^ yup. knowing all that i know now, i would have kept my stupid mazda 3 longer than i did and then gotten a slightly used Golf R since they are just rotting on dealer lots right now.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
AF-MKVI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG GTI & 2011 DSG TDI
Like the others have said, there will still be R's on the lots when you get back, even if it's 8 or 9 months from now. That being said... I would still hold out for the MKVII GTI if you don't need AWD.
2011 DSG GTI- APR Stage II -APR Carbonio I&II -Eurojet DP V1 -Neuspeed C/B -Godspeed FMIC -Neuspeed IDP -AWE TOP -R8 Coils -034 Engine & Trans Mounts -Neuspeed Tq Mount Insert -H&R Sport Springs -MKV Bilstein B8's -TT Strut Mounts -Passat FCA's -H&R 28mm F&R Sways -UltraRacing Mid Brace -Stern Brace -Maniacs DSG Paddles -AWE Boost Gauge -OEM Front Lip -Underbody Aero -RS3 Brake Ducts -17" Nurburgrings's w/ 235 DW's-Neuspeed Rotors -Stoptech Pads -USP SS Lines -Tyrolsport Bushings>13.26@105.10
AF-MKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
Macas1
Ready to race!

Drives: VW GTI MKVI
The R series has usually run in cycles of every 4 years eg. 2004 R32, 2008 R32, 2012 R. The MKVII would be a nice car to possibly wait for but goodness only knows when they will release them in the US. I get the feeling it won't be until late 2014. There will definately be some new or very low mileage R's available when you return. I have the MKVI GTI and we just got my wife the R, four wheel drive is definately cool.
Macas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
d4dawg
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macas1 View Post
The R series has usually run in cycles of every 4 years eg. 2004 R32, 2008 R32, 2012 R. The MKVII would be a nice car to possibly wait for but goodness only knows when they will release them in the US. I get the feeling it won't be until late 2014. There will definately be some new or very low mileage R's available when you return. I have the MKVI GTI and we just got my wife the R, four wheel drive is definately cool.
I would have kept the R for myself and let the wife have the GTI.

So it will be 2016 until we see the mk7 R?
d4dawg is offline   Reply With Quote