GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'11 Timing Chain Tensioner Failure

ryanrich1

Ready to race!
I'm not sure you guys really understand how the factory parts catalog works. The dealership can look up the part numbers for your car by VIN, but that WILL NOT tell you what part was originally installed in your car. The only way to tell is by visual inspection unless we can find a trend in production dates or sequential VINs once we start checking lots and lots of cars. If they look up the parts in ETKA (the factory catalog) it may list the old number. If they go past looking in ETKA by plugging that number into their retail system or check for super-sessions IT WILL give them the new number. So, this means that if any of your dealers told you that the old number was listed for your car, they were too lazy to check and see what the newest replacement for that number was.

Was wondering that myself. Surely they don't know which part number is in each specific car.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure you guys really understand how the factory parts catalog works. The dealership can look up the part numbers for your car by VIN, but that WILL NOT tell you what part was originally installed in your car. The only way to tell is by visual inspection unless we can find a trend in production dates or sequential VINs once we start checking lots and lots of cars. If they look up the parts in ETKA (the factory catalog) it may list the old number. If they go past looking in ETKA by plugging that number into their retail system or check for super-sessions IT WILL give them the new number. So, this means that if any of your dealers told you that the old number was listed for your car, they were too lazy to check and see what the newest replacement for that number was.

Dave if they check for super-sessions then the part numbers they give me are accurate or dictate what is installed in my car?

06H 109 467L supersedes to 06H 109 467AE
06H 109 467N supersedes to 06H 109 467K

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion

Yeh, that's kind of what they were telling me. He told me what i was trying to do doesn't make sense and that he can't really help me find what's in my car.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Great news, got email from my service advisor. My build date is 9/05/2009. The parts I have on my car is 06H 109 467L and 06H 109 467N. I am relieved!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Great news, got email from my service advisor. My build date is 9/05/2009. The parts I have on my car is 06H 109 467L and 06H 109 467N. I am relieved!

:readthethread: What the dealer tells you means nothing.

MSB065

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, I've been behind so Im reading the thread right now.

The dealer told me I'm paranoid exactly 1500Miles before my failure
Now I hate all dealers:paddle:

I think only 2009 people should be severely worried, In the other years there wasn't really that much failures but 2009's had a lot.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

I think only 2009 people should be severely worried, In the other years there wasn't really that much failures but 2009's had a lot.

Time is a factor here clearly...

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie

define "a lot"?

MSB065

Passed Driver's Ed
define "a lot"?

7 of the 8 I've heard of was 09's. Early model 09's.

But It's only 1 of the 2 tensioners that is the culprit as far as I know???

They swopped one tensioner and 2 guides on mine but if theres another piece of crap in my engine I should look into it.

This is interesting. Recently I had a lunch break with a friend who is a service manager at one of the VW dealerships in town. He mentioned this being a frequent problem. Latest was a customer drops off a car for an oil change, after the oil change the car will not start. They do an investigation and tensioner is broke, needs new engine. Apparently customer had an oil pressure warning, misinterpreted and thought it is low on oil, asks for an oil change. This is a CC.

In my opinion, it is a part failure. Changing oil frequently is good for the motor, but not necessarily prevent this failure.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
I never heard anything about these failures untill I joined GOlfMKVI and I live on the TSI technical section on vortex and Golfmkv. Joined both those sites in mid 2008ish

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Here are some pictures of the old style and new style tensioner. We have been putting the new style in engines when we are installing rods since the new style was released. The older style has a ratcheting return

You can see the ratcheting mechanism in the last picture. The retainer for that is junk and it's pretty obvious why they fail. This is the only old style we have laying around as we usually throw them right into the recycle bin, and the retainer is missing. If I can find another old style we'll make a video to show how it fails, as we have a TSI on an engine stand right now.

Dave,

I'm confused by your post. You are saying the opposite of what ETKA is stating and also what DBESTGTI stated in another timing tensioner thread I listed below in post#75. ETKA and DBESTGTI stated that 06K109467K is the new part number which my dealer confirmed. See below. This is for my 2009 (8/2008) build TSI.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43654&page=4

From a VW dealer I get parts thru on the NEW and OLDER lower and upper tensioners.

06H-109-467-AE USED TO BE 06H-109-467-L

06K-109-467-K USED TO BE 06H-109-467-N

Now with that said, after my builder installed 06K-109-267-K during my 2nd engine rebuild to correct the incorrectly cut JE pistons, the car would misfire at WOT. This was discovered after break-in. After about five 4th gear pulls logging the misfire, either a rocker or tensioner took a shit, and the following pics tell the rest.

If these pics were caused by 06K-109-267-K then you are correct. Fortunately, I scanned the car and saw the g40 cam position sensor code and new better than to clear the codes and try to start it up. Car got towed back to my builders and completely dismantled for diagnosis. Not too much damage but the valve dropped and cyl 2 took on some damage.

Now I don't know what to believe. I've been told by a forum member who just developed his own tensioner that both old and new tensioners fail. Based on my experience, I have no reason to doubt him. My car has always had the startup after around 10k I guess. But no issues with any timing related components until I changed out the GD tensioner. Haha

Last edited:

kevinadamsvw

Ready to race!
Etka shows what needs to be installed.... Aka the current part

If you put in a old part # that has be revised it will tell you what the new part # is..

I don't think calling the dealers parts dept to find out what your cars has is the best idea.... I doubt that they know for certain and if they look it up it will prob show the new part.

My 2¢

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Very interesting thread.

I had this issue with my 2010 in April, timing jumped due to failed tensioner. Wish I hadn't lost the work order paperwork while moving bleh.

A dealership can lookup past work if you call in right?