GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I have a feeling this issue will be quickly resolved soon :)

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Have you heard something we haven't? Maybe something about a word starting with R?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Oil Accumulator will fix it. But I'm inerested to see if a recall happens.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Oil Accumulator will fix it.

Not necessarily (in fact not usually), it's not always a pressure loss issue. Most of these are loosing the teeth on the ratcheting gears that hold the tensioner in place as wear accrues.

If the teeth go the tensioner can retract when the engine is off and pressure doesn't matter so the accumulator won't do a thing to help.

jcfields

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry if this question has been discussed somewhere already; I read this thread and the couple more that I could find...

Anyway, have any k04 or BT guys had this failure and successfully gotten it covered under warranty? If so, I'm thinking this will be a worthwhile PM item after I roll over 60k (probably over a year away at least). If not, shit. Might have to do it sooner for peace of mind.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The failures are not necessarily mileage related.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Sorry if this question has been discussed somewhere already; I read this thread and the couple more that I could find...

Anyway, have any k04 or BT guys had this failure and successfully gotten it covered under warranty? If so, I'm thinking this will be a worthwhile PM item after I roll over 60k (probably over a year away at least). If not, shit. Might have to do it sooner for peace of mind.

If you have a good mod friendly dealer it shouldn't be an issue. Nothing with a K04 would affect this and a good dealer tech will know that. If you crack open the motor to do rods on a Stage 3+ car you might get more resistance.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Oil Accumulator will fix it. But I'm inerested to see if a recall happens.

Eh.

Oil pressure keeps the tensioner tight while the engine is running. There is a ratchet type mechanism that keeps the tensioner in place when oil pressure is gone (i.e. engine turned off). So if it breaks, it happens when the car is being shut off. The tensioner now has no holdback, it recedes under weight of the timing chain, and basically the chain falls off the drive gear.

When you crank the engine to turn the car back on, oil pressure builds up almost instantly, but not quite. Enough time passes to allow the crank to turn part of the way around before it catches again... and then your timing is off by something ridiculous like 20 degrees. The variable intake cam can make it so you can drive the car, but albeit with significantly reduced power, a choppy idle, and the wonderful pinging sound of your valves turning into mashed potatoes.

Then its new engine time :)

I'm not convinced this is a sludge issue, as the tensioner itself seems to have a design flaw. I actually don't even know if the ratchet teeth are exposed to engine oil or not (I'd imagine not).

jcfields

Passed Driver's Ed
If you have a good mod friendly dealer it shouldn't be an issue. Nothing with a K04 would affect this and a good dealer tech will know that. If you crack open the motor to do rods on a Stage 3+ car you might get more resistance.

That's kinda what I figured. I don't know how mod-friendly my local dealership is. I let them do the 30k mile maintenance, and they didn't mention my stage 1 tune at the time, but there wouldn't have really been any reason for them to. Hmmm... I guess if this failure happens to me, I'll find out. Maybe I should sacrifice a goat in my driveway or something, just to be safe ;)

koollozer

Passed Driver's Ed
might be running into this issue. here's my thread. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48833

my question is, for those who had to have the engine replaced, what exactly happened to you? did your chain end up breaking? mine rattles under acceleration but still starts easily. i'm hoping that i brought it to the dealer before the chain broke and avoided any severe damage. please weigh in on this subject i need help!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FYI VWoA has refused to fix this guys issue out of warranty. Understandable but upsetting since the problem is well known and a TSB has been issued.

TSB isn't a recall so warranty limits still apply. Sucks, I agree. At this point I would think it would escalate to a recall (not a minor issue, fragging an engine with little to no warning is kinda a big deal).

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
TSB isn't a recall so warranty limits still apply. Sucks, I agree. At this point I would think it would escalate to a recall (not a minor issue, fragging an engine with little to no warning is kinda a big deal).

maybe we can get an internet petition or something to change this. maybe a massive letter with e-signatures? ill be willing to donate to someone that can cough up a crazy letter to send to vwoa with 100+ people backing it up.