GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
CiDirkona
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MKVI GLI, MKVI R
Send a message via AIM to CiDirkona
Panel filter drop in replacements? Pro 5 or K&N?

Has anyone done a drop-in filter replacement on a Golf R, and if so, what were the results?

(I did a search, but couldn't find any results. If you have knowledge of any pre-existing reports, feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks! )
CiDirkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
turboteig
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDirkona View Post
Has anyone done a drop-in filter replacement on a Golf R, and if so, what were the results?

(I did a search, but couldn't find any results. If you have knowledge of any pre-existing reports, feel free to point me in the right direction. Thanks! )
I put a K&N drop in filter in for now until I get an APR intake setup. Intake noise seems to be a little louder and slightly better throttle response. The only reason I bought it is because I own a NAPA store and was able to buy one for $31.00
turboteig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Dubtastic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: one with 4 wheels
correct me if I wrong, but did Bender or A_Bowers do a comparision between the intakes and the panel filters? I believe the Panel filter actually showed a drop in performance...
Dubtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
Save your money. Grambles actually did the review.

The test we conducted was OEM vs VWR Filter vs CARBONIO.

OEM flows well enough. Pane filter is a wee bit better, but nothing compares to an aftermarket unit.

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
CiDirkona
Drag Race Newbie

Link? If you're referring to this: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44138 It appears to be a ccta/cbfa specific version. The CDL/BPY intake is quite a bit different and intake restriction seems to be much different. This would be for my R, not my GLI.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
boosted27
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 CW 5 Door GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboteig View Post
I put a K&N drop in filter in for now until I get an APR intake setup. Intake noise seems to be a little louder and slightly better throttle response. The only reason I bought it is because I own a NAPA store and was able to buy one for $31.00
You own a NAPA store? Thats pretty cool. All the stores here are corporate. I work for a division of NAPA.
boosted27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
MKV727
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 Drivers Edition GTI
Bowers- This a different intake set up compared to the OEM TSI intake. The panel filter upgrade shows gains everywhere, albeit not like an aftermarket unit. Its 50% of why the FSI Carbonio works as well as it does.

OP - Do not run K&N, it actually is worse than stock. It directs flow vertically only, the ITG/VWR & Pipercross filters work well.
MKV727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
A_Bowers

Drives: MKVI GTI
There I go Again trying to be helpful. See where it lands me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Build Thread::Southbend Stage 3 review::SPM Intercooler Review::SPM Full Engine Mount Review
A_Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
rawbdog
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Bird shit stained cute snatchback
Why half ass it? Go all the way and get a full intake.
rawbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
CiDirkona
Drag Race Newbie

Because it's half assed for fifth assed cost. I've done the whole stage 2+ Mkv deal and I don't want to start dropping cash into another car hand over fist - and as mentioned above, the panel filter upgrade is half of why the carbonio does so well.

I installed it tonight and am very happy with buttdyno results. Considering I don't drive to work on a numbers dyno, the buttdyno counts most.