GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Torque Pro - Accurate Numbers?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
I'm wondering if anyone uses Torque Pro, and if they do, how accurate do they believe the numbers to be. I'm curious about the realtime display that shows throttle specifically.

When I go full throttle, pedal to the floor, max throttle is showing as 88.2%. You can see in the phone screenshot below the red arrow is where everything maxed out (if you aren't already familiar with the app).

I need to find someone local to do Vagcom logging so I can find out what the ECU is requesting, vs what I'm actually getting, but was hoping that someone might be able to tell me if they've noticed this as well before I line someone up, so I don't have to waste their time if this app is just inaccurate. Also something I haven't really considered is if it's the tune (either designed or not).

Last edited:

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
i believe it uses the phones accelerometer for it power calcs, so it will need to be mounted securely. for the throttle doesnt look odd. vcds will report very similarly. its never 0 at idle and never 100% at wot. it seems to be ok. boost still looks odd in torque compared to vcds, but over all its pretty handy to have in the car all the time.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
i believe it uses the phones accelerometer for it power calcs, so it will need to be mounted securely. for the throttle doesnt look odd. vcds will report very similarly. its never 0 at idle and never 100% at wot. it seems to be ok. boost still looks odd in torque compared to vcds, but over all its pretty handy to have in the car all the time.

Yeah I've noticed in my track recorder PID logs that boost is reported pretty weird, where it'll show as 18.x @ 3.2k, then 17.5 @ 3.25k, then 18.x @ 3.3k, then drops to 15-16psi until around 5k where it dips to 13psi. I always view them with a grain of salt.

In regards to the phone accelerometer, I've got my phone up in a mounted holder, but I didn't realize it went off accelerometer. Had I known that, I would've known not to post this lol! Thanks for the info though, appreciate it!

Edit:

Never thought to look it up on the app, but they've got a pretty good wiki on it.

Throttle Position

This is the reading from the potentiometer at the manifold - it is not a reading from the accelerator pedal
You may see that this reading never reaches 0%, and in some cases does not also reach 100%. There are a few reasons for this:

• The reading is relative. 13% on the potentiometer may be fully 'closed' in terms of throttle. On some vehicles this also represents the idle state (on these vehicles 0% would mean fully closed throttle - no air=engine stall).

• For readings that do not reach 100%, this may also be due to the relative reading of the potentiometer. The ECU map may also contribute to this as on some vehicles the throttle (controlled by the ECU) will close slightly at higher RPM - the VW Fox is one such vehicle that does this over 3000RPM.

• You may see a rarely changing reading for Diesel vehicles. This is due to diesel engines not using a traditional 'throttle', but instead control power varying the amount of fuel entering the engine (unlike petrol engines which starve the engine of air(throttle) to control engine speed/power)

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
yeah the accell thing is pretty funny. i was playing with it and did a pull and it came up and said 650hp or something ridiculous like that. my wife looks at it and just says "my ass...." :)

i have been using it to look at timing pull and fuel trim, as i have been trying out an e22 mix on the 100 octane map. it seems to be reliable. just wonky boost. it has some scaling/adj but i havent played with it. for $30 bucks total its a neat toy.

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
When I go full throttle, pedal to the floor, max throttle is showing as 88.2%.

I haven't used the Torque app but I've used other generic OBD II tools and they also won't show 100%. Like the wiki says, the app might not be translating the TPS output correctly. I'm guessing 88.2% = 100% which is what you'd see using VagCom, assuming nothing is wrong with the car.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Yeah I've noticed in my track recorder PID logs that boost is reported pretty weird, where it'll show as 18.x @ 3.2k, then 17.5 @ 3.25k, then 18.x @ 3.3k, then drops to 15-16psi until around 5k where it dips to 13psi. I always view them with a grain of salt.

In regards to the phone accelerometer, I've got my phone up in a mounted holder, but I didn't realize it went off accelerometer. Had I known that, I would've known not to post this lol! Thanks for the info though, appreciate it!

Edit:

Never thought to look it up on the app, but they've got a pretty good wiki on it.

Throttle Position

This is the reading from the potentiometer at the manifold - it is not a reading from the accelerator pedal
You may see that this reading never reaches 0%, and in some cases does not also reach 100%. There are a few reasons for this:

• The reading is relative. 13% on the potentiometer may be fully 'closed' in terms of throttle. On some vehicles this also represents the idle state (on these vehicles 0% would mean fully closed throttle - no air=engine stall).

• For readings that do not reach 100%, this may also be due to the relative reading of the potentiometer. The ECU map may also contribute to this as on some vehicles the throttle (controlled by the ECU) will close slightly at higher RPM - the VW Fox is one such vehicle that does this over 3000RPM.

• You may see a rarely changing reading for Diesel vehicles. This is due to diesel engines not using a traditional 'throttle', but instead control power varying the amount of fuel entering the engine (unlike petrol engines which starve the engine of air(throttle) to control engine speed/power)

He also talks about the boost gauge on the wiki. It's calculated from MAF and isn't actual MAP boost.

Still a useful app though. 0-60 times are good, MAF, intake temps, coolant temps, etc. easier than pulling out my vcds when I throw a code to see what's up.

The hp one is approximate. You need to set the car weight correctly too. I locked my phone into a dash mount and the readings I get are believable, but ya know, it's kind of like measuring your dick with silly putty.

hazy450

Passed Driver's Ed
I was under the impression that throttle was a percentage of 90 degrees. So its 88% of being totally vertically. since our Throttle Bodies point down. And the 13% is being horizontal. Hard to explain on here on my phone.