GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FX400 going bad

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
I've had an fx400 on my car for roughly 9 months. I've been k04 for roughly 5 of those. Probably have a total of 8k miles on the clutch.

I never abuse the car, I never launch it, I broke it in over 2000 miles. I had one roll race with a friend (3rd gear, nothing jarring). All of a sudden anything over 3k and 1/4 throttle and it immediately slips. Once it does slip it offers zero resistance (almost like it popped out of gear, but hasn't).

I'm at a loss and am going to be pulling the trans to see when I get back in town (~1 week). Was hoping someone had some suggestions before I pull it.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
sub'd. i had problems with mine but i mostly think it's due to poor install. i'm not really confident in it but once it warms up it holds well. if i push it too early it slips.

did you have any issues with engagement? like it engages at different points everytime you go from a stop? mind can be unpredictable.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
sub'd. i had problems with mine but i mostly think it's due to poor install. i'm not really confident in it but once it warms up it holds well. if i push it too early it slips.

did you have any issues with engagement? like it engages at different points everytime you go from a stop? mind can be unpredictable.

Mine seems fine, been holding 500hp+ for 8-10K no issues. I spin the tires no prob 1-3rd and even if slightly cold roads 4th has a little break of traction. I inspected it at 20k and looked almost new still. Have 27k on the clutch at the moment.

ErBall

Measurement Mogul

I've had suspicions that engagement point changes over time, but nothing as dramatic as top to bottom of travel. I'm hoping it is something else related to the system and not the clutch itself.

I'll find out soon enough, but I'm just trying to brainstorm as to what else it physically could be.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
when i say engagement changes, i mean at one stop light it will grab at halfway pedal travel and the next stop light it will grab a pubic hair off the floor, then the next it'll be halfway again. it's pretty reliable at certain speed bumps in my neighborhood i now know it'll catch close to the floor. i just don't know why it changes.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
erball: Could it be that your slave cylinder is leaking, and basically oiling up the clutch surface? That might explain why it almost freewheels

kern417: Has your clutch line been bleed well? If you have air in the system, it can move around, and air will compress, while fluid will not

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
when i say engagement changes, i mean at one stop light it will grab at halfway pedal travel and the next stop light it will grab a pubic hair off the floor, then the next it'll be halfway again. it's pretty reliable at certain speed bumps in my neighborhood i now know it'll catch close to the floor. i just don't know why it changes.

I don't think this is the clutch, its more likely how fast you are letting the pedal out. There is restrictor in the bleed block, and if you let it out faster the pedal will be up more before it grabs. I could be 100% wrong but it makes sense.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
kern417: Has your clutch line been bleed well? If you have air in the system, it can move around, and air will compress, while fluid will not

Check this. I had a similar problem when I first installed my FX350 but got fixed by bleeding it again.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i've been considering trying to bleed it i just don't know how much work it is to do myself. but next week i'm off work so i'll look into it.

and mine is definitely slipping more often. idk.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Oh, yours is slipping too? what the heck is going on? I thought those were the new clutch to get?

You'd need a 2nd person to help crack the bleeder screw each time you pump, then hold the clutch.

Cwinne

Ready to race!
If the engage point is changing it has something todo with the hydraulic system controlling it.

Bleeding the system thoroughly is the best option.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i just want to go back in time and get mine installed by a competent shop. not so much that the shop i brought it to wasn't experienced, but they don't know our cars. i asked several times before and they said it would be no problem and one of the guys had a lowered tdi so i figured they'd take care of me, but when i had to bring it back they pulled the "well this is the first time we've worked on a vw this new" card. makes me really not want to go back.

secretly i already had planned on getting a new one or at least getting it thoroughly inspected when i upgrade my turbo this winter. if i had just chalked up the extra coin to get it done at the known vw shop here i would have saved a lot of headache in the long run.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
If the engage point is changing it has something todo with the hydraulic system controlling it.

Bleeding the system thoroughly is the best option.

i'll probably bring it to the dealer and get it done next week to see if that helps. but damage may have already been done.