GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2011 ECU information

zee

Go Kart Champion
I ask because one of the selling points of APR (vs, say, Revo) for me was that it did not boost as high. For me, safety is paramount. I could care less about a bit more performance. I want smooth and safe.

I know you won't say this, but surely more boost must lead to somewhat less longevity of the turbo/engine. At least that was previously one of the APR selling points as some people pointed out in these forums.

Honestly, why not just ask Arin in a PM rather than baiting both companies into an argumentative responses on which boost level is safer. There isn't a less safe proof and both companies will just indicate theirs is safest, just like VW feels on a stock tune is safest.
These companies will be out of business if the products they sell are not safe enough.
APR wont be selling it to the public if it is not safe and Arin can't fully answer the question without throwing a jab at the competitors.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I ask because one of the selling points of APR (vs, say, Revo) for me was that it did not boost as high. For me, safety is paramount. I could care less about a bit more performance. I want smooth and safe.

I know you won't say this, but surely more boost must lead to somewhat less longevity of the turbo/engine. At least that was previously one of the APR selling points as some people pointed out in these forums.

As far as I recall the curve changed and the actual boost numbers are not dramatically different. You're not going to see 26 PSI stock turbo numbers from us. Take a look at the torque curve, as you can see, it's still relatively flat and does not come to a peak. Coming to a peak is only possible with high boost numbers running near the max the turbo can supply. In the end these changes were only made after our brutal testing through APR motorsport and testing on our own cars for over a year. I'm confident you'll have no issues.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, why not just ask Arin in a PM rather than baiting both companies into an argumentative responses on which boost level is safer. There isn't a less safe proof and both companies will just indicate theirs is safest, just like VW feels on a stock tune is safest.
These companies will be out of business if the products they sell are not safe enough.
APR wont be selling it to the public if it is not safe and Arin can't fully answer the question without throwing a jab at the competitors.

I am not baiting Arin or anyone. All I have been reading in these forums for the past few days is how much more powerful the new tune is.
One person mentioned that they are now boosting several pounds higher than than Version 1.

So, as safety is important for me, and I (perhaps wrongly) partially equate safety with boost levels, I thought this a fair question to ask.

I'm not asking to compare different company's boost levels. I am just asking whether the revised tune boosts higher than the previous one.

I did not pm Arin because I thought it might be an answer others might be interested in and, secondly, because I figure Arin gets enough questions to answer without having pm's to respond to as well.

As it happens, I have an appointment to do an APR tune.

So, I don't know what the problem with my question is.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
My own experience is amazement at just how linear the torque increase goes across the power band. I was actually modulating the throttle around the sweet spot between 2800 and 3000 RPMs today and you can actually feel a jump in power if you do it just right. After that, the torque just flows smoothly all the way to redline with no other spikes or plateaus.

Like I mentioned to Arin privately, my wife swears that now that ive done this mod, she isn't driving my GTI anymore out of fear for lost control. The beauty is that the increases from the tune are so smooth and well calculated that it retains 100% of the drivable nature it has with stock. You really DO need to want to go crazy for the car to actually go crazy. It's fully within your control.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
The Turbo outlet on the factory K03 is only about 1.5 inches in diameter and the factory turbo outlet pipe's cross sectional area is not less than that of the turbou outlet. I'd personally save my money and put it towards a mod that will make a measurable difference such a a rear swaybar, intake, k04 kit, or so on.

Thanks Arin. Suspension work is next. After that I will start thinking about a K04 kit or stage III

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
My own experience is amazement at just how linear the torque increase goes across the power band. I was actually modulating the throttle around the sweet spot between 2800 and 3000 RPMs today and you can actually feel a jump in power if you do it just right. After that, the torque just flows smoothly all the way to redline with no other spikes or plateaus.

Like I mentioned to Arin privately, my wife swears that now that ive done this mod, she isn't driving my GTI anymore out of fear for lost control. The beauty is that the increases from the tune are so smooth and well calculated that it retains 100% of the drivable nature it has with stock. You really DO need to want to go crazy for the car to actually go crazy. It's fully within your control.

This.

Super drivable. Besides a lack of grip in first gear which is an issue stock the car is just plain faster. I consider a stock MS3 less drivable due to the torque steer that car has.

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Does the 2011 (and the new 2010 version 1.2) boost any higher than the 2010 version 1 tune?

More info on this please. I'm getting my Stage 2 flash next week. Does that include the newest version? I don't see any information on APRs website regarding a newer updated flash. :happyanim:

Last edited:

Justinjor

Ready to race!
Oh alright. Do you have any specifics or a reference so others can read up about it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious.

Ronkerjake

Ready to race!
Going to NGP Aberdeen after work to get stage 2 updated... will post butt dyno charts.