GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6 speed loud metal friction "moan" when shifting into R/1st

The_Squire

Hey guys, before I drop $2k on dealer to install a whole new clutch for me, I just want to see if anyone else has had this issue with their MKVI GTI.

It started only in reverse and on cold starts, but it's moved to 1st gear as well. It mostly only happens on cold starts, but it's been happening more often/louder recently.

When I'm feathering into reverse/1st, I heard a very audible metallic scream/moan/creak/grind (idk the best word, but some very ugly sound for a car to make), like rubbing iron together or something. People turn heads outside the car when it happens, so it's not subtle. It only happens at the point where the clutch starts catching. It stops when I depress the clutch again or rev up the engine.

Any insight? Is my whole clutch effed, or just one part of it?

I have a 2012 GTI with 51k miles on it. No tune.

simpson110

Ready to race!

Laimface

Ready to race!

The_Squire

YES!!!!

I kept looking and looking for this issue, but only found ppl that had rattling/clunking, not this "squeal." It's a hard sound to describe, guess I just didn't use the right word when searching.

So did that other thread ever get the attention of VWOA? Is there a recall on the part? Because I'd hate to have the dealer/mechanic charge me $1k labor to take apart the whole clutch just to replace the TOB...

So you really think I should get a whole new clutch kit/flywheel? I plan on going Stage II eventually so I knew I'd need a new clutch at some point, but I've read that the stock DMF should last a good while, even after tune. Honestly, I've read more mixed reviews on clutches w/ tunes than I have any other topic...

I was thinking of going with the RSR kit and keeping the stock DMF until it starts slipping, see how long it lasts. Especially since this new TOB is going to cost me so much (if there's no recall on it), I wont be going Stage II for at *least* several months. Prioritizing my mods is a whole 'nother issue for me lol

Laimface

Ready to race!
YES!!!!

I kept looking and looking for this issue, but only found ppl that had rattling/clunking, not this "squeal." It's a hard sound to describe, guess I just didn't use the right word when searching.

So did that other thread ever get the attention of VWOA? Is there a recall on the part? Because I'd hate to have the dealer/mechanic charge me $1k labor to take apart the whole clutch just to replace the TOB...

So you really think I should get a whole new clutch kit/flywheel? I plan on going Stage II eventually so I knew I'd need a new clutch at some point, but I've read that the stock DMF should last a good while, even after tune. Honestly, I've read more mixed reviews on clutches w/ tunes than I have any other topic...

I was thinking of going with the RSR kit and keeping the stock DMF until it starts slipping, see how long it lasts. Especially since this new TOB is going to cost me so much (if there's no recall on it), I wont be going Stage II for at *least* several months. Prioritizing my mods is a whole 'nother issue for me lol

If there's any consolation I've got exactly the same problem and have done for 4 months, so saving cash over time shouldn't be an issue. Just keep it easy until in 2nd and it should last longer

12bluemk6

Ready to race!
YES!!!!

My suggestion to you is to find a local VW group on Facebook and post around (after checking w admins) asking people about this issue and for recall info, etc... Ask if anyone can help you at a dealership. Isn't power train warranty 60k anyway? I don't work at VW so again, I'd do what I said and find some help locally. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The_Squire

My suggestion to you is to find a local VW group on Facebook and post around (after checking w admins) asking people about this issue and for recall info, etc... Ask if anyone can help you at a dealership. Isn't power train warranty 60k anyway? I don't work at VW so again, I'd do what I said and find some help locally. Good luck!

Well I actually just called my local dealer, gave them my VIN, and they said there's no warranty left for the clutch- it was a 3yr/36k mile warranty. And I cant seem to find a TSB referring to this issue, but i swear I saw somewhere in the thread posted by simpson that someone's dealer just charged them the part for the install.

I'll see what I can get, but I think I'm going for an upgraded clutch anyway so it doesn't matter. Deciding between the RSR and SB Stage II Daily is taking up so many hours pouring through feedback. But RSR would be like $300-400 more since it doesn't come with a flywheel... :mad0259:

Laimface

Ready to race!
You guys are lucky that you have a choice on clutches. It's Sachs or nothing here, which isn't exactly bad as Sachs SRE clutches are the best you can get as they've had the most development go into them.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Dealt with the throwout bearing squeal for three winters (always seems to be worse when cold) Just use the one piece revision when you eventually replace your clutch with the RSR or whatever. Not worth spending the money to replace the TOB if not doing the whole clutch, and it doesn't have any effect aside from being annoying to hear if that's what your noise is

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
Just put an RSR clutch in a couple months ago after having the TOB squeal. That clutch kit (and most others I think) come with a new TOB. I drove mine for like 20k with the squeal, but it only happened during winter and the very first engagement.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I looked at the RSR and SB Stage 2 daily and ended up going the SB route. I'd recommend you find someone who has a SB stage 2 so that you can hear the difference in sound that a SMF makes compared to the stock flywheel. I don't think it is a bad sound, but it is different.

I also had a concern about using the old flywheel on the RSR which is why I went the SB Stage 2 route, though it appears that many people do keep the old DMF with their new RSR clutch on the forum and I haven't heard of any reported problems.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
You guys are lucky that you have a choice on clutches. It's Sachs or nothing here, which isn't exactly bad as Sachs SRE clutches are the best you can get as they've had the most development go into them.

I have the Sachs SRE clutch and the TOB howl started this winter(FL winter at that) after almost 40k, so they are not immune to that as it's a TOB design issue, not a clutch issue

Dealt with the throwout bearing squeal for three winters (always seems to be worse when cold) Just use the one piece revision when you eventually replace your clutch with the RSR or whatever. Not worth spending the money to replace the TOB if not doing the whole clutch, and it doesn't have any effect aside from being annoying to hear if that's what your noise is

The 1 piece does not fix that issue unfortunately

AngstyPotato

My clutch was recently shot and I was getting a sound like I was dragging a wooden chair across the floor when shifting into 1st from a stop.

Looked at the SB Stage II daily and the RSR. Ended up going with the RSR as it's my daily car and I didn't want any noise from a SMF.

Laimface

Ready to race!
I have the Sachs SRE clutch and the TOB howl started this winter(FL winter at that) after almost 40k, so they are not immune to that as it's a TOB design issue, not a clutch issue

The 1 piece does not fix that issue unfortunately

My car is at 61k so hopefully it'll be another 61k before it fails. I'd have sold it by then anyway haha.

The main reason for going SRE is that I'd like to go stage 2, fixing the TOB is a bonus

Florida winters are the same as my summers too ;)