GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is your Top Speed?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Same. I think the fastest I've gone in this Gti is around 120/130 but that was only a handful of times. I don't feel the need for going that fast anymore either. I rarely go over 80 now unless I'm doing a run with someone (which is rare).

Constantly driving like an ass hat and going in excess of 80 is just asking for a reckless driving charge... its just a matter of WHEN, not if. I've had my fair share of those growing up.

But back in the day I hit 150/160 in my mk4 Vr6 2.8L VF supercharged gti with 2 others in the car with me.... and in my Mk4 R32 I hit 160+ with 3 others in the car with me. Speedo only went up to 160 but I still had gear left in 6th... anddddd thats how I totaled my R32. Already flew past my exit once that night and had already turned around and was about to speed by it again when I decided I'd just take the exit ramp going fast.... yea well the exit ramp was very sharp and I made friends with the guard rail allll the way down. If that guard rail wasn't there... we probably all would have died.

Lesson learned the hard way; just glad everyone was alright. And boy do I wish I still had that Mk4 R32... it would be turbo'ed by now....

I also once easily got 166mph (gps) in my mk4 R32 and it had loads left, totally factory setup too! Excellent engine that V6.

I’ve had just over 140mph from my current MK6 gti too on the same stretch of road (closed of course[emoji6]), also factory standard, it did have a bit left but nothing like the R32 did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I also once easily got 166mph (gps) in my mk4 R32 and it had loads left, totally factory setup too! Excellent engine that V6.

I’ve had just over 140mph from my current MK6 gti too on the same stretch of road (closed of course[emoji6]), also factory standard, it did have a bit left but nothing like the R32 did.

R32’s are slow.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
R32’s are slow.

I wouldn’t call 166 slow exactly! It does surprise me however that a tuned mk6 gti doesn’t have a vastly different top speed than a standard example! I guess it’s more the low end and mid range where all the magic happens!.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t call 166 slow exactly! It does surprise me however that a tuned mk6 gti doesn’t have a vastly different top speed than a standard example! I guess it’s more the low end and mid range where all the magic happens!.

[emoji848]Where are you getting that? They are limited stock.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
[emoji848]Where are you getting that? They are limited stock.

The MK4 was NOT limited (in Europe at least), the official top speed was 153 but I can assure you I hit 166 with what felt like loads left but I lost my nerve, the cars gearing and the rev limit and 02M gearbox will not let you go over around 167/168!

Phur

Autocross Champion
Oh, ok. In Europe. So we’re talking kph.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
I think my car has a limit of 260kmh/161mph. It doesnt go any faster than that, im sure it has a limiter, since it probably should go faster. 330hp, stock exhaust-non res, stage 1 dsg tune.

Is this normal, or do you guys think it could go faster...?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
^^^ most of the standard tunes remove the limiter. even at stage 1.

avni

Ready to race!
Pretty sure tunes remove top speed limiter, but they do not change gear ratios

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
My R32 was definately slower than the Mk6 gti that I have today.

I would still rock the Mk4 R32 over this Mk6 Gti any day. I just love the exhaust note + if you turbo the R32... forget about it, its a monster.

On the note for top speed though. The R32 had no issues hitting 165 with 4 people in the car... just took a while to get there lol.

The gearing in the R32 was better in terms of top speed than the mk6 Gti. Pretty sure we run out of gear by about 130 in the Mk6 gti... maybeeee 140 MPH.

The R32? Yea the speedometer only went up to 165mph... and I hit that in 6th gear and if I remember correctly... was just getting to the red line on the tach; it had gear left to go faster.

Gearing in the R32 was built for more top end than the mk6 Gti, plain and simple. That Vr6 is a great engine and I would be allllllllllll over one if they brought it back to the Gti/R platform. I may have to go to the dark side (audi) when I want to get a new daily... a 3.0T in dsg sounds good to me.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Stock was 120mph, Stage 2 I’ve hit 145mph on the same stretch, hard to get a good piece of straight flat road here in “Central Jersey”.