GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cutout wiring length

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I'm ordering a DMH exhaust cutout to put on the downpipe after the secondary cat. there's a checkbox where it asks how much wire to run from the cutout to the switch for the wiring harness. I don't even begin to know how to measure this since the path from the downpipe to the cabin could be any length... anyone happen to know? or know a way I can measure it? cutouts aren't too common on GTI's so I didn't find any real info on this.

it says Approximate Length of Cable Needed for the wiring harness

thanks!

Davespence20

Ready to race!
Depends on where your switch is going. And then where your going to route it. I don't know any easy ways into the cabin from that area of the car. I'd take it back through the firewall right under the battery box, like I did for the line for my boost gauge. As for the length always get extra. What are your options for length that they give you?

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Weirdly enough there are no options for length. Just a box to type the number and unit in. The switch will probably go somewhere in the upper driver footwell cuz I don't want anyone in the car being able to mess with it but me... hmm. Think I'll do some rough measurements from the end of the downpipe --> firewall --> cabin and add like 2-3 feet to that. Only problem that I forsee is getting the wiring up from underneath the car into the engine bay and avoiding heat (everything) and moving parts. Though most of the exposed moving parts aren't really near the drivers side firewall.

5zero4

Maybe you could go through a grommet in the floor. That way you could just take the wire up under the carpet and pop out near rhe center console or wherever you intend to put the switch.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Maybe you could go through a grommet in the floor. That way you could just take the wire up under the carpet and pop out near rhe center console or wherever you intend to put the switch.

Now there's an idea. Though wouldn't it become possible for moisture to get thru if it rains a lot? Also I don't know how easy to access they are from under the car... care to enlighten me?

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, accidentally put this in the Golf R forum. Mods when you get a chance just move it to GTI 2.0T Tunes/ etc. thanks.

5zero4

Now there's an idea. Though wouldn't it become possible for moisture to get thru if it rains a lot? Also I don't know how easy to access they are from under the car... care to enlighten me?

I'm not sure exactly, but most cars have a big rubber grommet in the floor pan on each side. You'd probably need to take a seat out, but might be able to get away with just removing the door sill trim to be able lift the carpet enough to pull the wire through. One you have it all set up, just get under the car and put some silicone caulk around the wire at the grommet to stop any water getting in.

Last edited:

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure exactly, but most cars have a big rubber grommet in the floor pan on each side. You'd probably need to take a seat out, but might be able to get away with just removing the door sill trim to be able lift the carpet enough to pull the wire through. One you have it all set up, just get under the car and put some silicone caulk around the wire at the grommet to stop any water getting in.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help brah. If this actually gets done expect a review of epic proportions.