GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch disengagement lag

turbog8r

Gentlemen,

I've done some searching on this site, but have not come across a thread with my issue. I have a 2013 Golf R with a Spec stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel. The clutch setup was already installed when I purchased the R and since day 1 it seemed to fight me when shifted above 6k. It didnt bother me too much with the monster midrange punch the car has so I just shifted at 6k.

Recently I have occasionally not been able to get it out of first gear after starting off the line and going for second, shifting at around 2k, normal city driving. It seems very periodic and when it starts doing it, it will continue, but some days it won't do it at all.

The other day I floored first gear up to 6k and pushed the clutch in but didn't go for second. The car was engine braking for a second or 2 with the clutch all the way to the floor. I repeated this another 2 times to be sure and sure enough it seems like there is a lag in the clutch disengaging.

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this issue? Should I look into replacing my slave cylinder? Is there an accumulator in this clutch system? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Turbog8r

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you may have some nasty brake fluid in the clutch lines? I would try bleeding the clutch as well as pulling out the plastic restrictor piece in the clutch bleeder block. Even if it doesn't solve the problem completely it will help.

I bled the clutch in my 2011 last summer at 70kish and it made a huge difference in feel. The fluid was nasty.

penpal

Srs Bzns
It's just a little plastic restrictor inside your bleeder, it doesn't really move. Just look up how to pop it out. Taking it out makes fast shifting way smoother, did it on my GTI and the R. Also bleed the clutch.

rich_raquel

Passed Driver's Ed
Brake fluid flush could help if your fluid is nasty. You could also adjust shifter cables and/or buy solid shifter cable bushings. I did all of the above mentioned as well as solid shifter bracket bushing and the ecs tuning aluminum bleeder block. I will say that shifting to any gear and getting into any gear is so smooth and more direct. The clutch also feels less laggy and the clutch engagement is more precise and consistent.