GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 4S and RNS315 Quirks

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Any other iPhone users with the rns315 nav unit out there... there are a few quirks that bug me. What is your experience?

The biggest quirk is that when plugging the phone into the MDI cable, the unit automatically starts playing the first alphabetical song in my playlist. Example:

I'm driving along listening to Sirius and realize I need to charge my phone. I plug into the MDI cable and Sirius get's cut off and Wu Tang Clan's "Aint nothin to fuck wit" starts playing. Not a big deal to change back to Sirius but it is annoying. First time I noticed it was when showing my boss my new GTI and I was slightly embarrassed!

Anyway, I just spoke with VWoA and was ensured that that a team of engineers reviews feedback trends that VWoA call center logs and they allocate resources to update software accordingly.

That said, has anyone else noted the same issue? Does this happen with iPhone 4? 3gs? ipod touches? Or just the 4S?

How about other issues?

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
My 4s has consistent problems with my RNS510. My brothers android phone has 0 issues. I am convinced this is an ios5 issue as my fiance's phone didn't start acting up with the car until she upgraded to ios5.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
My 4s has consistent problems with my RNS510. My brothers android phone has 0 issues. I am convinced this is an ios5 issue as my fiance's phone didn't start acting up with the car until she upgraded to ios5.

My gf has a mk6 with the rcd510(non nav) and when I plug my phone in her mdi it just charges as it should and Sirius doesn't skip a beat. This leads me to believe the issue I've outlined is not and iOS issue at all.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
They all do it. Nothing to be done about it either. A friend's Passat does it with his Galaxy S2 also.

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23662

Strangely, I do not experience BT autoplay... Curious if an update came out. Last post in that thread is 3/28. I bought my car 3/31 and know that something was updated when I got flashed to stage 1+ a day later (yes, my dealer flashes!).

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
My gf has a mk6 with the rcd510(non nav) and when I plug my phone in her mdi it just charges as it should and Sirius doesn't skip a beat. This leads me to believe the issue I've outlined is not and iOS issue at all.

The MDI and Radio have separate control boxes. At some point there was an MDI update.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
mines fine. zero issues.

edit: actually I do have one issue. When I get in my car my phone plays through bluetooth within 10 seconds or so. That's cool and all but some songs don't sound that great. It almost sounds like it is not playing out of a speaker (kinda like listening to only one headphone). BUt when I plug in my iPhone through the MDI, it plays fine.

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
OP, check the settings menu on your headunit. I'm pretty sure there is an autoplay option that you can deselect to keep this from happening. It may not apply to the MDI connection though, I really can't remember.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
When I plug in my old 4th gen ipod it plays the first song.