GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR CBFA Breather Filter connects to the fan?

dragonsolja

Passed Driver's Ed
For some reason after I installed my APR CAI and APR CBFA Breather Filter, it has some nasty, sour smell from the fan on the hot days. Anyone experience the same thing before?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I have a cbfa engine code and I do not expierence this with a breather filter on my air pump line.

dragonsolja

Passed Driver's Ed
it smells okay on the normal days since I live in San Francisco (average 55-70 degree), but once it gets hotter, it smell really bad.

By the way, where did you position your breather filter? I zip tied with one of the rubber hose. I am wondering if that's the reason.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
You sure it's not your AC that smells like crap? My just started smelling bad and I need to do something about it.

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I change my oil every 3K, I am not really sure if it's AC or Fan. What can I do if it's AC?

Why on earth do you change your oil every 3,000 miles?

I've heard of the A/C issue before, but I can't recall what the issue was. I feel like it was something to do with water collecting in a part of the A/C system and the dealer having to clean it.

dragonsolja

Passed Driver's Ed
Why on earth do you change your oil every 3,000 miles?

I've heard of the A/C issue before, but I can't recall what the issue was. I feel like it was something to do with water collecting in a part of the A/C system and the dealer having to clean it.

I try to change it every 3-5 K, because my friend works at a body shop, and he recommends me to change it every 3-5K.

Also thx for the info, I will check it out with the dealer maybe. I will have my 20K service 2 weeks later

Bretterson

Ready to race!
I try to change it every 3-5 K, because my friend works at a body shop, and he recommends me to change it every 3-5K

I could be completely wrong, but to my knowledge the only reason you would change it that often is if you're in a fairly dirty climate. Our cars use synthetic oil, which doesn't breakdown. The only reason you even need to change synthetic is because it gets dirty, not because it wears out.

Why would VW recommend changing the oil every 10,000 miles if they didn't think it was right? If they had you do it more often they would make more money off of you...

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I can take a picture of my breather filter location, but I highly doubt that is the issue...

Do you garage your car?

dragonsolja

Passed Driver's Ed
Well does it smell only with the AC on? The breather filter should have nothing to do with a smell in the car.

It smells after I turn off my AC on a hot day. It smells fine on a normal day. If its from the AC, what are the solutions?

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
I have no problems with smells. I have the CBFA filter and I zip tied it to a nearby hose making sure its mounted straight up. I actually think our car is equipped with an air filter for the cabin bay because I tend to not notice ANY smells with my air on. Maybe its your cabin air filter?