GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

c2 2012 2.5 flash

Blueteam

Ready to race!
I certainly wont argue that a more stable fuel matched with ignition timing will run better...

I bought a trendline because im a cheap a$$..lol

I just want to be able to travel with 87 and have fun on 91.

Without the ability to switch ( like my apr stuff for the 1.8t) I wouldn't bother.

I had the opportunity to run my apr 100 octane program for one very expensive tank... holy crap... what an engine... no joke it even sounded different.

I'm sure UM is fine.. i may even call them to see what they can do for me.

thygreyt

Racekor.
I certainly wont argue that a more stable fuel matched with ignition timing will run better...

I bought a trendline because im a cheap a$$..lol

I just want to be able to travel with 87 and have fun on 91.

Without the ability to switch ( like my apr stuff for the 1.8t) I wouldn't bother.

I had the opportunity to run my apr 100 octane program for one very expensive tank... holy crap... what an engine... no joke it even sounded different.

I'm sure UM is fine.. i may even call them to see what they can do for me.
while 93 might be around 3$ per tank, i get way too awesome power, AND an incredible milage! :D

Blueteam

Ready to race!
what is this i keep hearing about our cars doing well on 93? has anyone dynoed the two different fuels?

is it a noticeable gain on a stock car?

very interesting...

thygreyt

Racekor.
no. it will not do anything on a stock car. the engine is build for 87.

false.

the 2.5 LOVES 93 oct.
there are benefits in fuel economy, peak power, peak torque and power delivery.

its been proven time and again that Vw only deemed the 2.5 to use 87 so that its "cheaper to maintain".

even under stock configuration, the ecu pulls timing on 87 oct because its not that great.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Vancity2Constantinople said:
no. it will not do anything on a stock car. the engine is build for 87.

false.

the 2.5 LOVES 93 oct.
there are benefits in fuel economy, peak power, peak torque and power delivery.

its been proven time and again that Vw only deemed the 2.5 to use 87 so that its "cheaper to maintain".

even under stock configuration, the ecu pulls timing on 87 oct because its not that great.

Actually, thygreyt is right. Because our ecu's are adaptive, there is a slight difference in engine response going from 87 to 91/93.

Am I saying you will feel a huge difference and be GTI fast, NO. Will you feel a slightly better throttle response and maybe a very slight increase in MPG, probably so. Will your internals for the engine be slightly cleaner and less carbon build up, probably so as well.

If you wanted to try it out if you have been using 87, make sure you are near empty and for the next two fill ups, do 91/93 (depending on what you gas station has). Main reason you have to do two is because the first flushes most of the 87 out and the ecu starts to adjust to the new fuel. The second fill up is when you will notice the difference in response. Will it cost a little more? Yes; about as much as a Starbucks coffee (~2.50~5 at the most difference) per fill up. :thumbsup:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Will give it a try. I usually get Shell gas, and the V-Power tends to be upwards of .12-.15 cents more a litre which would equate to $7 a tank and at a tank a week would be sub $400 a year.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Oh srry...had a question. It's not hard on the car to run 91 spring, summer, fall, and the switch to 87 during the winter?

thygreyt

Racekor.
Will give it a try. I usually get Shell gas, and the V-Power tends to be upwards of .12-.15 cents more a litre which would equate to $7 a tank and at a tank a week would be sub $400 a year.

research "top tier fuels"

while some people (ignorants) claim that Top Tier Fuels are an addvertisement gimmik, i have done some testing and found out, that on south florida, to the very least, Chevron and Shell are WAY better than the competition.

how to test it?vag com.
log:
-engine temp
-timing pull per cylinder
-afr (commanded and actual)
-torque

test method: do 2 tanks of each fuel grade from the same gas station from the same brand (dont refill until the light comes up for better "cleaner" results)

so:
2 tanks on shell 87,
2 more on shell 89
2 more on shell 93

or go simple:
2 on shell 87
2 on shell 93 and you will see the difference of 93 vs 87.
then feel free to do the same for any other brand and fuel oct to see the difference.

i'm using shell, as it has shown to be the best one and the more consistant one. I recommend testing the top tier to any other, and evaluate the differences.

lastly: i dont/cant do this tests anymore because my car isnt stock, so the results will be biased to 93 based on my Ecu's programming.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Cool man will do. Again, wondering about switching back from 91 to 87 for winter(i know, not a problem for you). Fuel economy will be poor no matter what and will have winters on. It's not hard on car to alternate?

thygreyt

Racekor.
Cool man will do. Again, wondering about switching back from 91 to 87 for winter(i know, not a problem for you). Fuel economy will be poor no matter what and will have winters on. It's not hard on car to alternate?

the car will pull timing to not get any pre detonation.

damage? none.

the alternate? lol, no issues. :D
i mean, its not like you are constantly doing e85 to gasoline!