GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Tunes

dmb6202

Passed Driver's Ed
Here's a graph I threw together showing all APR stage 1 tunes on a single chart. It's something I found useful for visualizing the differences between tunes, so I thought I'd share it. All data came from the graphs published by APR. I interpolated the horsepower and RPM values based on the number of pixels between grid lines on the APR graphs. I sampled roughly every 100 RPM for a total of 70 samples for each tune.

Last edited:

SworksR20

Passed Driver's Ed
My plan is to eventually have full Stage 1, I'm just worried about the ECU tune impacting drivetrain durability and if I take it to a dealer.....

manny2206

Ready to race!
is that grpah saying that a stage one/intkae is near the 330hp mark o.0 impossibru

edit: can't read its for the R

brett_duenas

Ready to race!
My plan is to eventually have full Stage 1, I'm just worried about the ECU tune impacting drivetrain durability and if I take it to a dealer.....

I plan on going Stage I myself. I just bought my R six days ago and one of the techs at my local dealer was telling me if I tune the car they will just erase it when it comes in for service (and it wont void my warranty unless something breaks because of the tune). He said APR offers one free re-flash so after the dealer sets it back to stock it can be re-re-flashed for the tune.

Any truth to this? Does APR offer free re-flash? Why only one?

Cloudburn

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I don't see many situations where they would find the tune unless you brought your car in, you didn't know what the problem was, and then they went looking for the problem. The diagnostic tools would pick it up at that point.

But for regular-moderate service, they most likely won't know about it.

Sanderskog

Ready to race!
Honestly, I don't see many situations where they would find the tune unless you brought your car in, you didn't know what the problem was, and then they went looking for the problem. The diagnostic tools would pick it up at that point.

But for regular-moderate service, they most likely won't know about it.

Not true based on what I heard from my service department (I dropped the car there this AM).

They hook the ECU up to the computer anytime the car is in for service.

Todd

ducatiwebb

Ready to race!
Enlighten me on something. If all you have is a stock motor, with the stage 1 flash then you are a Stage 1. What constitutes a Stage 1+ ? Because the next step up from that is a Stage 1+ plus intake. Am I missing a step?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Enlighten me on something. If all you have is a stock motor, with the stage 1 flash then you are a Stage 1. What constitutes a Stage 1+ ? Because the next step up from that is a Stage 1+ plus intake. Am I missing a step?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stage 1+ is adding the HPFP...

gyaeger

Passed Driver's Ed
I plan on going Stage I myself. I just bought my R six days ago and one of the techs at my local dealer was telling me if I tune the car they will just erase it when it comes in for service (and it wont void my warranty unless something breaks because of the tune). He said APR offers one free re-flash so after the dealer sets it back to stock it can be re-re-flashed for the tune.

Any truth to this? Does APR offer free re-flash? Why only one?

Not true based on what I heard from my service department (I dropped the car there this AM).

They hook the ECU up to the computer anytime the car is in for service.

Todd

When I brought my GTI to the dealer with a bunch of APR parts, they just did the service, and didn't say anything. My APR dealer did the reflash for free, but it only happened to me once.

Usually the labor charge is installing the chip, to rerun the software for a reflash, they just plug it in, so it only takes about 20 mins.

I haven't chipped the R yet, but I'll go APR when I do. There are some VW dealers that are also APR authorized dealers.

As far as warranty, some dealers are strict others are not, but generally APR is a reputable company that they don't worry too much about. A tune, and an intake is pretty common, even a TBE. I don't know how they would react to the fuel pump though, that's a bit more engine invasive, same with an intercooler, or a bigger turbo.

I've been to three separate VW dealers in NJ, and this is just MY experience.

Hope that helps!

dmb6202

Passed Driver's Ed
Holy crap that's an expensive upgrade. And to still be only stage 1+

From my understanding, the HPFP is more of a supporting mod that allows further gains. For example, adding an intake on top of stage 1 (without the HPFP) will not yield nearly the kind of gains seen on top of stage 1+. The same goes for stage 2+.